ObamaCare Strikes Again

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by Dont Taz Me Bro, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,472
    I really wonder how many more examples we need before the Obamabots will defy their idol and admit what a steaming pile of shit the ACA really is.

2. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    Obamacare is responsible for the population of women of child-bearing age in that area dropping? Devious.

3. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,732
    Oh goody. The few OBGYNs that malpractice lawyers haven't driven out of business finally have a reason to quit.

4. Luddly Neddite

Luddly Neddite Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,829
    Hospitals have been duping their delivery units for years because they're not profitable. Instead, just like urgent care, there are now birthing businesses.

Hospitals need to be used for what they are good at - trauma and surgery. Many medical cases can be handled elsewhere.

For that matter, same with many surgeries. If you don't have to stay over night, there are now surgical businesses, privately run by doctors, that are much more profitable.

READ the article.

5. dblack

dblack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,766
    All hail government control of our health. Next up, food. Suck it up, slaves.

6. Avorysuds

Avorysuds Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    I love how you always have a reason why the ACA fails to fix anything or fail to live up to a single benchmark Obama set for Obamacare. Much like the stimulus, when it failed Obama and his lemmings simply made a whole new set of benchmarks... then of course they failed to meet those so they again make a new set of goals using the same failing plan of course...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  7. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    Believe or not, all things in the universe are not controlled by the ACA. If changing demographics remove the justification for a hospital in rural Pennsylvania to rebuild an OB department staff depleted by deaths and relocations because there simply is no longer enough service volume to make it worth the trouble, that isn't the ACA. That's life.

8. tjvh

tjvh Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +916
    Where would you propose women deliver there babies... Back alleys? I'm sure you are far more concerned about where they can get their inconveniences taken care of.

9. Politico

Politico Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    BAck alleys.Gives me an idea for a mobiledelivery business. Kinds like a food truck.

10. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    Okay, let's look at this closely. The hospital only delivers 200 babies per year, which is less than one per day. They need an entire department for this, yet it obviously does not make sense, and it obviously doesn't pay. Now if this was the only hospital in the county, then this would be a very big problem, but the fact is that this hospital is in Johnstown, PA, and there are a few other hospitals in Johnstown. Those hospitals will pick up the slack, and since they probably already deliver more than 200 babies per year, it will be much more cost effective.

Part of the problem we have with hospitals is that most of them try to do everything, and in many cases, because of that fact, costs skyrocket. Let me give you a quick example. I have to have an ultrasound done every year. Because I have cirrhosis of the liver, they check for cancerous tumors. Anyway, if I go to the hospital to have this done, the cost is between $1500 to $2000. Well, I have a high deductible, so I would have to pay the full amount if I went to the hospital, so instead, I go to an imaging center which is only a couple of miles from the hospital. They charge me $220.

Now imagine if I had a low deductible or Medicaid or Medicare covered me. A lot of people in this situation go to the hospital and we all pay for it in the end. Why the huge discrepancy in cost? Truthfully, it doesn't make a lot of sense. Yes a hospital is going to have higher overhead costs, but really? They really need to charge upwards of $2000 for a procedure that someone else can do for one tenth the cost?

See, these are the discussions we should be having about healthcare, and how we can reduce costs. Efficiency in our system is a joke.