Obama wants to encourage manufacturing.

How do imports reduce the GDP?

You're kidding right?

No. GDP is gross domestic product. It measures the amount of stuff produced domestically. Buying things produced internationally doesn't lower the amount produced domestically unless you fall into the mistaken line of reasoning that "those dollars being spent on imports are now not being spent on domestic goods". That line of reasoning is entirely absurd. Dollars sent overseas to pay for imported goods come right back into the country. You think people accept dollars as payment only to stick them in a drawer and never use them. That would be awesome, since then we could just print money and keep buying up everything produced internationally at no cost. No. People only accept dollars as a means of payment if they either A) plan to purchase US goods with US dollars, since you can't go to a Chinese supermarket and pay for milk with US dollars (even if you could the Fed would just increase the money supply); B) plan to sell US dollars to somebody in exchange for your local currency, in which case, who's gonna buy US dollars if not to inevitably buy US goods?

This is reflected in the fact that the trade deficit is always equal in magnitude but opposite in sign to the capital and financial account surplus. A trade deficit means capital is flowing into the US. And so, trade deficits do not lower the amount produced domestically.

In fact you can make the argument that they have the ability to increase GDP if you're importing goods which increase the productive capacity of the US.

Obama wants to encourage manufacturing?

I’m awaiting specifics but President Obama seems to be alluding creating a new tax provisions for encouraging US. manufacturing and exporting of manufactured products.

It would please me if our nation would achieve this but I suspect that the president has the wrong methods in mind.

Trade deficits are ALWAYS (more than otherwise) detrimental to their nation’s gross domestic production, (GDP). Nation’s global trade’s affect upon their GDP is generally understated (and never overstated) If we significantly decrease our trade deficit of goods, we will also induce a significant increase our GDP. GDP bolsters the median wage.

I’m personally in full agreement with the president’s apparently recognizing manufacturing as among the families of industries whose growth would be most advantageous to our nation. But I much prefer a proposal that does not favors any foreign nation, enterprise, industrial family or type of product; the Import Certificate trade policy is such a proposal.
The proposal’s market rather than government driven. U.S. federal determinations of assessed values are technical rather than policy determinations.

Refer to the topic “Warren Buffett's concept to significantly reduce USA's trade deficit”
or to “www.USA-Trade-Deficit.Blogspot.com ”
or Google wikipedia, import certificates

Respectfully, Supposn

Funny how the guy who stood up and made a speech that called for getting rid of loopholes wants to make more loopholes.

I am not in favor of the concept of raising taxes on everyone to give special considerations for favored businesses. If a business is a good idea, it will make a good profit. If it is not so good an idea, the taxpayer is robbed.

What would be better would be to redue the budget deficit, which is financed by the trade deficit. You reduce the amount of government's irresponsible and out of control spending, the trade deficit will take care of itself. Borrowing money from China to give to crooked campaign contributors is not the way to fix the problem, but only going to compound it.

Currently we have a tax situation which makes it favorable to open a business outside this country. That should end.

Obama is dead on about that.

I am not in favor of the concept of raising taxes on everyone to give special considerations for favored businesses. If a business is a good idea, it will make a good profit. If it is not so good an idea, the taxpayer is robbed.

What would be better would be to redue the budget deficit, which is financed by the trade deficit. You reduce the amount of government's irresponsible and out of control spending, the trade deficit will take care of itself. Borrowing money from China to give to crooked campaign contributors is not the way to fix the problem, but only going to compound it.

Currently we have a tax situation which makes it favorable to open a business outside this country. That should end.

Obama is dead on about that.

Obama wants to cut corporate taxes? When did he say that?

Obama wants to encourage manufacturing?................................... I’m personally in full agreement with the president’s apparently recognizing manufacturing as among the families of industries whose growth would be most advantageous to our nation. But I much prefer a proposal that does not favors any foreign nation, enterprise, industrial family or type of product; the Import Certificate trade policy is such a proposal.
The proposal’s market rather than government driven. U.S. federal determinations of assessed values are technical rather than policy determinations.

Refer to the topic “Warren Buffett's concept to significantly reduce USA's trade deficit”

Respectfully, Supposn

Funny how the guy who stood up and made a speech that called for getting rid of loopholes wants to make more loopholes.

Quantum Windbag, the Import Certificate policy is a global trade proposal that’s unrelated to taxes and tax loop holes. What’s your point?

Respectfully, Supposn

Obama wants to encourage manufacturing?................................... I’m personally in full agreement with the president’s apparently recognizing manufacturing as among the families of industries whose growth would be most advantageous to our nation. But I much prefer a proposal that does not favors any foreign nation, enterprise, industrial family or type of product; the Import Certificate trade policy is such a proposal.

Respectfully, Supposn

Quantum Windbag, the Import Certificate policy is a global trade proposal that’s unrelated to taxes and tax loop holes. What’s your point?

Respectfully, Supposn

The import certificate policy has nothing to do with Obama, what's yours?

You're kidding right?

No. GDP is gross domestic product. It measures the amount of stuff produced domestically. Buying things produced internationally doesn't lower the amount produced domestically unless you fall into the mistaken line of reasoning that "those dollars being spent on imports are now not being spent on domestic goods". That line of reasoning is entirely absurd. Dollars sent overseas to pay for imported goods come right back into the country. You think people accept dollars as payment only to stick them in a drawer and never use them. That would be awesome, since then we could just print money and keep buying up everything produced internationally at no cost. No. People only accept dollars as a means of payment if they either A) plan to purchase US goods with US dollars, since you can't go to a Chinese supermarket and pay for milk with US dollars (even if you could the Fed would just increase the money supply); B) plan to sell US dollars to somebody in exchange for your local currency, in which case, who's gonna buy US dollars if not to inevitably buy US goods?

This is reflected in the fact that the trade deficit is always equal in magnitude but opposite in sign to the capital and financial account surplus. A trade deficit means capital is flowing into the US. And so, trade deficits do not lower the amount produced domestically.

In fact you can make the argument that they have the ability to increase GDP if you're importing goods which increase the productive capacity of the US.

You're going to tell me what I think? :lol:

I'm sorry, dude, I have no idea you were seeking to debate YOURSELF.

Didn't mean to interupt your debate with your strawman.

But if you ever want to discuss this issue with ME..instead of that imaginary person you must think I am?

Just let me know.

:eusa_angel:

The best move P-BO could do for encouraging manufacturing is announcing he will not run for president in 2012.

You're kidding right?

You're going to tell me what I think? :lol:

I'm sorry, dude, I have no idea you were seeking to debate YOURSELF.

Didn't mean to interupt your debate with your strawman.

But if you ever want to discuss this issue with ME..instead of that imaginary person you must think I am?

Just let me know.

:eusa_angel:

There was supposed to be a question mark there. Sorry.

Back in the U.S. industry is impossible.
Who will work for low wages, as the Chinese?
In a country where 400 gang areas.
Armies of millions of ethnic mafias.
Millions of units of automatic weapons in their hands.

You can certainly make it work law-abiding white population, but the thing is the white population - the only thing that keeps the state on the shoulders of the car.
If you make it work, then who will be in the army and security agencies, to develop the science and business?
Latinos? - I've bad news for you - your civil war you will find children's entertainment.

And besides - to fight with his people when the whole planet will be in a rush to help the U.S. to die.

he said it in State of the Union. Our economy could boom if BO eliminated it altogether as Ireland proved by just lowering it. Its the ultimate vindication of supply side economics.

He did not, he wanted to eliminate the no existent tax break for outsourcing jobs. He also called for companies that have jobs overseas to pay their fair share of taxes, and wants am international corporate minimum tax on all companies. You must have listened to a different SOTU than I did, something that happens quite often in alternate/delusional realities. He does claim to want a tax deduction for manufacturers, and a double deduction for high tech manufacturers, but I count those as loopholes, not a reduction in the tax rate.

I'll tell you the MARKET-DRIVEN way to encourage industry in America.

TAFIFFS.

Every other approach will FAIL.

he said it in State of the Union. Our economy could boom if BO eliminated it altogether as Ireland proved by just lowering it. Its the ultimate vindication of supply side economics

He did not,

Obama urges corporate tax cut, closing loopholes | Reuterswww.reuters.com/.../us-usa-tax-corporate-idUSTRE81K25N2012022...Cached
You +1'd this publicly. Undo
11 minutes ago – WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama made an opening offer in what could be a long negotiation with corporate America on ...

We have corporate taxes only to pander to the pure ignorance of liberals. Corporate taxes like all costs are merely passed on to customers. There is no purpose except to fool liberals into thnking they are getting even with corporations

Last edited:

he said it in State of the Union. Our economy could boom if BO eliminated it altogether as Ireland proved by just lowering it. Its the ultimate vindication of supply side economics

He did not,

Obama urges corporate tax cut, closing loopholes | Reuterswww.reuters.com/.../us-usa-tax-corporate-idUSTRE81K25N2012022...Cached
You +1'd this publicly. Undo
11 minutes ago – WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama made an opening offer in what could be a long negotiation with corporate America on ...

We have corporate taxes only to pander to the pure ignorance of liberals. Corporate taxes like all costs are merely passed on to customers. There is no purpose except to fool liberals into thnking they are getting even with corporations

That is not the SOTU, which is what you claimed.

Obama to offer corporate tax reform plan - CNN.comwww.cnn.com/2012/02/22/.../obama-corporate-taxes/index.htmlYou +1'd this publicly. Undo
8 hours ago – The Obama administration has been talking about unveiling a plan to fix the corporate tax system for well over a year. In the State of the Union ...

I'll tell you the MARKET-DRIVEN way to encourage industry in America.

TAFIFFS.

Every other approach will FAIL.

too stupid!! Tariffs are a tax that Americans will have to pay, it will make them poorer and so make them buy less and so close American businesses.

There is no free lunch!!! but there would be a trade war like the one that caused the Hawley Smoot Great Depression

Obama to offer corporate tax reform plan - CNN.comwww.cnn.com/2012/02/22/.../obama-corporate-taxes/index.htmlYou +1'd this publicly. Undo
8 hours ago – The Obama administration has been talking about unveiling a plan to fix the corporate tax system for well over a year. In the State of the Union ...

Obama has been talking bout cutting the deficit since he first got in office.

Forum List

Back