Obama uses DOMA to deport a gay person.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Auxous, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Auxous

Auxous BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29
    The Obama Administration has denied the request of a married couple in San Francisco, ordering the expulsion of one spouse who is the primary caregiver of his legally married husband with AIDS.

Team Obama is incapable of valuing our actual relationships, while making pretty speeches about DOMA’s unconstitutionality.

Bradford Wells, a U.S. citizen, and Anthony John Makk, a citizen of Australia, were married seven years ago in Massachusetts. They have lived together 19 years, mostly in an apartment in the Castro district. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services denied Makk’s application to be considered for permanent residency as a spouse of an American citizen, citing the 1996 law that denies all federal benefits to same-sex couples.​

Mr Wells states his case plainly:

“I’m married just like any other married person in this country,” Wells said. “At this point, the government can come in and take my husband and deport him. It’s infuriating. It’s upsetting. I have no power, no right to keep my husband in this country. I love this country, I live here, I pay taxes and I have no right to share my home with the person I married.”​

Fierce Advocate's Administration Cites DOMA, Denies Immigration Benefits to Gay Married Couple | MyFDL

2. Tank

Tank Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,013
    We don't need any more fags with aids then we already have

3. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Obama is so mean.

Sarcasm off

4. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,203
    Looks like it was immigration law that deported him.

5. Moonglow

Moonglow Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,628
    Oh no, Obama is now inforcing laws on illegals, let us here the rightwingers bitch and moan about Obama, Obama,,,,,,

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Lonestar_logic

Lonestar_logic Republic of Texas

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    What exactly are you complaining about Bradford?

7. Auxous

Auxous BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29
    It displays Obama's hypocrisy. However, that is what the left is about, eh? If the left is really concerned about immigration policy, then they would go after Obama' aunt. Instead, they rather preach about gay rights while trashing them.

However, given Obama's attack on civil liberties, this behavior is not surprising.

8. Moonglow

Moonglow Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,628
    If he is illegal then deport. Obamas' aunt was granted asylum. So she is here legally

9. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    What are you saying? That it's not because he's gay? That he's being treated like any other illegal alien? That's so mean!

Sarcasm off.

10. Auxous

Auxous BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29
    It is the hypocrisy that is astounding. Additionally, showing that there are no other priorities in going after immigration matters also raises eyebrows.

A case-by-case basis that appears to exclude a legally married gay couple who have been together 19 years, one of whom is the AIDS caregiver for a United States citizen, along with owning rental property in the United States and starting a business here. Surely this is the kind of case where case-by-case basis discretion might apply. Why would this Australian’s deportation be prioritized? Aren’t there other, higher priority immigration matters?