Obama To Bypass Senate In Appointing Medicaid & Medicare Head To Avoid Obamacare Talk

USArmyRetired

Rookie
May 29, 2010
This shows he doesn't want anymore talks that will revive Obamacare debate in the news. He doesn't want the Death Panels brought back up that Sarah Palin exposed that caused controversy. He even has 59 Senators on his side and he still wants to make a recess appointment while they are on holiday. This shows he is fearful of criticizm and wants to avoid this mans views from being publicly displayed in a open confirmation hearings.

TalkingSides.com - Obama Showing Fear With Recess Appointment

Snip***The White House announced late Tuesday that President Barack Obama will bypass the Senate and appoint Dr. Donald Berwick to oversee Medicare and Medicaid.

Snip***But this particular behind the scenes, out of the spotlight appointment not only gives Dr. Berwick the job, it saves the administration from public hearings that would have renewed the debate on Obamacare.

Snip***President Obama nominated Dr. Berwick in April but no confirmation hearing had been scheduled. Speculation was that the president and his cronies were afraid of a public discussion on health care rationing, a topic on which Dr. Berwick has spoken publicly saying in an interview last year, "The decision is not whether or not we will ration care — the decision is whether we will ration with our eyes open. And right now, we are doing it blindly."

That fear was just confirmed in the recess appointment announcement made by White House communications director Dan Pfeiffer on the White House blog: "Many Republicans in Congress have made it clear in recent weeks that they were going to stall the nomination as long as they could, solely to score political points." (source) It's certainly understandable why President Obama wouldn't want the Republicans to score any more points - he and his Democratic crew are already way behind on points with the mid terms elections coming soon.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
:razz:When Nov. is past we'll be happy at last. January's blast is come at last we will have dr. bernwickeee testify in front of congress. we needs us some oversight.

If a public confirmation hearing would be so damaging to Berwick and the president then why in the heck have the Republicans been refusing to let it happen?

Well, your own link says that's what they've been doing.

Would you mind citing that as I cannot find it anywhere in that article. What it does say is that the republicans would DELAY the appointment. That would be accomplished WITH herrings and more questioning, not by denying the herring. Stopping a herring will speed the appointment up not delay it.

If a public confirmation hearing would be so damaging to Berwick and the president then why in the heck have the Republicans been refusing to let it happen?

under senate rules the reps cannot stop his confirmation. The guy has damaged himself, bit then again Obama is down to 38% with Indies, so what does he care?

not even the times is buying this soap..

The recess appointment was somewhat unusual because the Senate is in recess for less than two weeks and senators were still waiting for Dr. Berwick to submit responses to some of their requests for information. No confirmation hearing has been held or scheduled.

Obama Bypassing Congress on Medicare Job - The Caucus Blog - NYTimes.com

A recess appt. for a guy who has not even had a hearing yet and while congress is in session....? :eusa_whistle:

This is a very exciting appointment. Berwick's an excellent choice.

why?

Berwick is a huge advocate for (and expert on) quality improvement. If you want to ultimately bring down costs in the long-run, you need to find ways to get more bang for your health-care buck, something our currently system is notoriously horrible at doing. CMS is now gearing up to launch a series of state-level (and multi-state) quality improvement demonstrations as part of the new reform law. They're going to be testing out all kinds of stuff: pediatric accountable care organizations in Medicaid, global payment systems in Medicaid, reward programs for hospitals that cut down on hospital re-admissions for Medicare patients, continuing work with using patient-centered medical homes in state Medicaid programs, etc.

The rationale behind the creation of a Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation within CMS is to promote the testing of new models of payment and service delivery and start implementing on a wider scale within Medicaid and Medicare those models that prove their worth empirically. In other words, CMS is about to embark on a huge push for quality improvement and cost reduction by trying out lots of different ways to improve care delivery. If you want to be successful, you need someone at the helm who 1) is strongly committed to that mission, and 2) has been influential within the health care policy community at pushing for those kinds of systemic quality improvement efforts (and thus has a great deal of credibility, experience, and gravitas when it comes to this effort). With Berwick, that's what you get.

Like I said, this is an exciting appointment.

This is a very exciting appointment. Berwick's an excellent choice.

why?

Berwick is a huge advocate for (and expert on) quality improvement. If you want to ultimately bring down costs in the long-run, you need to find ways to get more bang for your health-care buck, something our currently system is notoriously horrible at doing. CMS is now gearing up to launch a series of state-level (and multi-state) quality improvement demonstrations as part of the new reform law. They're going to be testing out all kinds of stuff: pediatric accountable care organizations in Medicaid, global payment systems in Medicaid, reward programs for hospitals that cut down on hospital re-admissions for Medicare patients, continuing work with using patient-centered medical homes in state Medicaid programs, etc.

The rationale behind the creation of a Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation within CMS is to promote the testing of new models of payment and service delivery and start implementing on a wider scale within Medicaid and Medicare those models that prove their worth empirically. In other words, CMS is about to embark on a huge push for quality improvement and cost reduction by trying out lots of different ways to improve care delivery. If you want to be successful, you need someone at the helm who 1) is strongly committed to that mission, and 2) has been influential within the health care policy community at pushing for those kinds of systemic quality improvement efforts (and thus has a great deal of credibility, experience, and gravitas when it comes to this effort). With Berwick, that's what you get.

Like I said, this is an exciting appointment.

thank you ezra klien.

I am not thrilled.

Mr. Berwick;

“It’s not a question of whether we will ration care. It is whether we will ration with our eyes open.”

“Any health care funding plan that is just, equitable, civilized and humane must, must redistribute wealth from the richer among us to the poorer and the less fortunate. Excellent health care is by definition redistributional.”

"You could have protected the wealthy and the well, instead of recognizing that sick people tend to be poorer and that poor people tend to be sicker and that any health care funding plan that is just, equitable, civilized and humane must, MUST redistribute wealth from the richer among us to the poorer and the less fortunate. Excellent health care is, by definition, redistributional".

Last edited:
Good grief, can anyone name anybody in the administration that has ever been involved in the private sector, exclusive of being a looooyah?

Have you considered at least Wiki-ing Berwick's biography before asking a question like that?

I am not thrilled.

Perhaps you'd be better served reading some of his stuff than relying on context-less quotes you've been fed.

fed?:lol:

Hummm, maybe I'll become a 'Google Ranger' and paraphrase Jedi? :eusa_whistle:

perhaps you'd be better served asking first why I posted the quotes I did, as to what effect I see those ideological 'nuances' having in a concrete terms on the system via a vis his tenure? ....before making assumptions.

Mr. Berwick, the Harvard wonder bread has it appears other issues also, which also account for his escaping scrutiny via senate conformation etc....ala the IHI.

Last edited:
This shows he doesn't want anymore talks that will revive Obamacare debate in the news. He doesn't want the Death Panels brought back up that Sarah Palin exposed that caused controversy. He even has 59 Senators on his side and he still wants to make a recess appointment while they are on holiday. This shows he is fearful of criticizm and wants to avoid this mans views from being publicly displayed in a open confirmation hearings.

TalkingSides.com - Obama Showing Fear With Recess Appointment

Snip***The White House announced late Tuesday that President Barack Obama will bypass the Senate and appoint Dr. Donald Berwick to oversee Medicare and Medicaid.

Snip***But this particular behind the scenes, out of the spotlight appointment not only gives Dr. Berwick the job, it saves the administration from public hearings that would have renewed the debate on Obamacare.

Snip***President Obama nominated Dr. Berwick in April but no confirmation hearing had been scheduled. Speculation was that the president and his cronies were afraid of a public discussion on health care rationing, a topic on which Dr. Berwick has spoken publicly saying in an interview last year, "The decision is not whether or not we will ration care — the decision is whether we will ration with our eyes open. And right now, we are doing it blindly."

That fear was just confirmed in the recess appointment announcement made by White House communications director Dan Pfeiffer on the White House blog: "Many Republicans in Congress have made it clear in recent weeks that they were going to stall the nomination as long as they could, solely to score political points." (source) It's certainly understandable why President Obama wouldn't want the Republicans to score any more points - he and his Democratic crew are already way behind on points with the mid terms elections coming soon.

Of course he's going to pull some backhanded shit. Been doing from the start. No reason to stop now.

I am not thrilled.

Perhaps you'd be better served reading some of his stuff than relying on context-less quotes you've been fed.

fed?:lol:

Hummm, maybe I'll become a 'Google Ranger' and paraphrase Jedi? :eusa_whistle:

perhaps you'd be better served asking first why I posted the quotes I did, as to what effect I see those ideological 'nuances' having in a concrete terms on the system via a vis his tenure? ....before making assumptions.

Mr. Berwick, the Harvard wonder bread has it appears other issues also, which also account for his escaping scrutiny via senate conformation etc....ala the IHI.

Ditto.

This guy is a big admirer of the British Health System and of course OF SPREADING EVERYONES WEALTH.

I wonder how he would have survived his little tete a tete with Congress???

Alas, we will never know.

Forum List

Back