Obama takes the bait

True, and something seemed wrong with the village idiot tonight.

He kinda looked like a doll with the makeup.
I didn't watch, I gave him up for Lent awhile back and by some miracle, I never felt the need to be embarrassed by him again.

Was he at least coherent?

John McCain is a genius and he deserves to win this election. He played you Democrats like a fiddle AGAIN and so far, no one on this board has figured out his strategy. I'll give you a hint...then again perhaps not. I don't want to let the cat out of the bag.

Wow! At first I though McCain had seriously messed up by suspending his campaign to fix this "crisis". Obama had a great response when he said, and I'm paraphrasing here: "What's the matter, you can't do two things at once"?
But now that President Bush invited both of them to Washington, Obama has to go otherwise he'll look like an impediment to the solution, putting himself before America.
Whether you believe what Bush did was a partisan stunt or not, it worked!
Obama, in a very short time, went from having the upper hand to McCain stealing the issue from him. Didn't the polls say that Americans trust Obama in economic issues over McCain? Not after this they won't.
If an agreement is reached tomorrow, McCain will be seen as riding into Washington and rescuing the economy. Obama can only hope that he's allowed a place in the front row next to the President when he signs this thing.
And here's a possible nightmare scenario for Obama: McCain seals the deal tomorrow then trounces Obama at the debate Friday night!

Wow! :D

Last edited:
After all of Ubama's bravado about multitasking, and continuing to campaign, and prepping for the debate, he ends up... GOING BACK TO WASHINGTON.

Going back to washington is no big deal. Obama made the right calls throughout the day in my opinion.

If McCain had said "I'm going to washington for a few days to work on this financial situation" he would have sounded right on. Instead he said "I am suspending my campaign and want to postpone the debate" which sounds chicken shit and like he is incapable of multitasking.

"Going to washington" (which is what Obama is doing) is multitasking. Suspending your campaign is not.

If Obama suspends his campaign, and postpones the debate, then maybe I'll be more agreeable to your perspective.

I have no doubt the debate will go on as scheduled.

Just a few minutes ago The Mccain campaign made a statement that they wont be at the debate unless the bailout has been resolved. I dont want them rushing to figure this thing out. Mccain could spend the next few days in Washington and still do the debate.

The issue is maneuvering Obama, and McCain and Palin have outmaneuvered him from the get go.

They took all the fire from the DNC convention and his acceptance speech, and now they're freaking him out for the debate, and moving him all over the place.

This is better than SHark Week on Discovery!

You should be limited to only posting for 1 hour per day.

I didn't watch, I gave him up for Lent awhile back and by some miracle, I never felt the need to be embarrassed by him again.

Was he at least coherent?

Well he hasn't fallen off the wagon due to this crisis yet.

Key word being yet.

McCain sounds like a mumbling old man.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/25/us/politics/25campaign.html?ref=politics

Some of the criticisms:

Senator Harry Reid of Nevada, the Democratic majority leader, said that Mr. McCain and Mr. Obama should not return to Washington and inject presidential politics into the bailout negotiations.

“We need leadership, not a photo op,” a statement issued by Mr. Reid said.

“Now that we are on the verge of making a deal, John McCain airdrops himself in to help us make a deal,” said Representative Barney Frank, of Massachusetts and chairman of the House Financial Services Committee. “Frankly, we are going to have to interrupt a negotiating session tomorrow between Democrats and Republicans on a bill where I think we are getting pretty close to troop down to the White House for a photo op.”

Wow! At first I though McCain had seriously messed up by suspending his campaign to fix this "crisis". Obama had a great response when he said, and I'm paraphrasing here: "What's the matter, you can't do two things at once"?
But now that President Bush invited both of them to Washington, Obama has to go otherwise he'll look like an impediment to the solution, putting himself before America.
Whether you believe what Bush did was a partisan stunt or not, it worked!
Obama, in a very short time, went from having the upper hand to McCain stealing the issue from him. Didn't the polls say that Americans trust Obama in economic issues over McCain? Not after this they won't.
If an agreement is reached tomorrow, McCain will be seen as riding into Washington and rescuing the economy. Obama can only hope that he's allowed a place in the front row next to the President when he signs this thing.
And here's a possible nightmare scenario for Obama: McCain seals the deal tomorrow then trounces Obama at the debate Friday night!

Wow! :D

Dems in Congress wont let him get away with taking all the credit although I think you are spot on as this is what his gameplan is.

McCain sounds like a mumbling old man.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/25/us/politics/25campaign.html?ref=politics

Some of the criticisms:

Harry Reid is the biggest fool of the day.
Quothe the Reid...
“We need, now, the Republicans to start producing some votes for us. We need the Republican nominee for president to let us know where he stands and what we should do.”

Hot Air Blog Archive Reid changes his tune on McCain involvement - and for good reason; Update: Video added
(note the ABC YT video)

"Notice that Reid never demanded leadership from the Democratic nominee for President. I guess he already knows that would be a futile request." - Ed Morrissey

Harry Reid is the biggest fool of the day.
Quothe the Reid...

Hot Air Blog Archive Reid changes his tune on McCain involvement - and for good reason; Update: Video added
(note the ABC YT video)

"Notice that Reid never demanded leadership from the Democratic nominee for President. I guess he already knows that would be a futile request." - Ed Morrissey

I understand that Reid is disliked, but Morrisey's quote is a little silly. It's obvious Reid is trying to put the heat on McCain, and nothing more.

what bait?

Obama had already said he wanted to be part of the process. Is he cancelling the debates? no...

you guys congratulate yourselves over the most ridiculous "victories"

So, McCain throwing a tantrum, taking all his toys out of the sandbox, this is good for your guy how exactly?

The purely political manuevering is pretty obvious here.

I think his main motivation was to keep Palin from debating Biden.

So dishonest. So opportunistic.

so John McCain thinks it's okay to hold the electoral process hostage, knowing that he really only needs to look at the proposal and cast his vote ? this is who some people want as president? that's frightening.

and they are meeting with Bush.. there's no promise of a resolution ninja...

the debates are happening with or without McCain... he'd be wise to show up...

Just a few minutes ago The Mccain campaign made a statement that they wont be at the debate unless the bailout has been resolved. I dont want them rushing to figure this thing out. Mccain could spend the next few days in Washington and still do the debate.
Part of the problem is McCain's own admission that he doesn't know much about economics. He probably fears a question on the issue during the debate. Something along the lines of, "Hey, John, just last week you were saying the economy is fundamentally strong and now you're like, we're all going to die!...what gives?" If he puts the debate on hold long enough, he'll never have to explain himself.

Let a conservative tell you about McCain.

washingtonpost.com

"Under the pressure of the financial crisis, one presidential candidate is behaving like a flustered rookie playing in a league too high. It is not Barack Obama.

Channeling his inner Queen of Hearts, John McCain furiously, and apparently without even looking around at facts, said Chris Cox, chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission, should be decapitated. This childish reflex provoked the Wall Street Journal to editorialize that "McCain untethered" -- disconnected from knowledge and principle -- had made a "false and deeply unfair" attack on Cox that was "unpresidential" and demonstrated that McCain "doesn't understand what's happening on Wall Street any better than Barack Obama does."
ad_icon

To read the Journal's details about the depths of McCain's shallowness on the subject of Cox's chairmanship, see "McCain's Scapegoat" (Sept. 19). Then consider McCain's characteristic accusation that Cox "has betrayed the public's trust.""

Forum List

Back