Obama suggests value-added tax may be an option

Well my understanding from some reading a few years back that enforcing VAT was a problem in Europe. I have complete confidence in the ability of Americans to dodge taxes with the efficiency of anybody in the world.

As far as the votes go, I think the Right will attack it on simple merit (but their silence worries me when Bush's commission was looking at a new sales based tax) and the Left will attack it as being regressive.

Well, right now, the Republicans have no power at all and if he and Nancy want to push through a VAT, he has proven that he can do so by pushing through phase one of the move to Universal Health Care.

As for your point on the silence of Republicans regarding the Sales Tax, that silence was because President Bush was speaking about replacing the Income Tax with a National Sales Tax which would be a good thing in my opinion. Replacing the unmanageable regulations of the Income Tax with a simple sales tax (or better yet The Fair Tax) would be a good thing although I do not think it will happen. Good things do not come out of Washington.

Also from my understanding, the idea is not to replace the Income Tax with a VAT, but rather to supplement it. That is a huge difference between President Bush's plans and President Obama's in my book.

Immie

Immie, to my knowledge no one has ever seriously proposed replacing the income tax with a VAT or any other form of excise, sales or consumption tax. I would love to see a link to this.

In 2008, the corporate and personal income taxes in the US raised approximately 57% of the $2.5 Trillion in US revenues, 97% or more derived from taxation. (The government earns a small amount of interest income, income from the sale of assets, etc.)

What are the federal government's sources of revenue?

There is no US VAT at this time, so if one were to be adopted and to replace the income taxes on individuals and corporations, it would have to raise approximately 1.425 Trillion dollars. Remember, the VAT is a tax on the "value added" to a product as it moves from the raw material stage to the distribution stage. It is not a tax on sales to consumers and it is not a tax on services. It is not a tax on real estate. Obviously then, the identity of taxpayers and the distribution of the tax burden under a VAT vs. the current income tax would be as different as night and day.

I'm having a terrible time finding data on the percent of GDP represented by the manufacture of goods or sales of commodities. Maybe someone more skilled in economics can help. But you should note, a VAT on the sale of an incomplete product or raw commodity to a buyer might not be possible if the purchaser is foreign and the sale is subject to a tax treaty, etc. Without getting too complicated, not all transactions involving such sales would be VAT taxable...only a subset of them.

Let's assume, for argument's sake, that the US GDP in 2008 included $110 Trillion from the sale of commodities and manufacture of goods. Assume further than $110 Trillion of these revenues were subject to VAT.

In order for a VAT to raise the revenues now raised by the income tax, it would have be imposed at a rate of 1.425. That may sound acceptable till you realize a complex good, such as a pc, would undergo at least 100 VAT transactions, and while each would not impose the tax on the value of the entire finished good, that cumulative effect would be crushing. Arguably, a pc would increase in cost to the direct consumer from $1000 to as much as $1,425.

Of course, the consumer would have more spending money with which to buy the pc. If he was an ordinary middle class taxpayer, he'd have about 25% to spend after income taxes were repealed. But would a 25% rise in income allow a taxpayer to acquire goods that have increased so much because of the VAT?

No matter how you slice it, a tax on income is the best way to raise revenue and distribute the tax burden among citizens.

Are you saying the VAT would replace the personal income tax?
I'm thinking the VAT is in addition to the persoanl income tax.

A lot of countries sold the idea that VAT would replace the personal income tax to get the VAT passed, only to renege after the VAT was implemented.

Last edited:
At the rate things are going in the United States of America, we won't even be a 6th rate country, much less the usual '3rd rate country' cliche' that WE used to call OTHER countries.

The debt now is so high that it appears that most of the citizens here will have no fiscal future to look forward too. I cannot believe the absolute greed in combination with fiscal incompetence, no not just fiscal, overall incompetence of this administration. It does prove however that horses asses can reach to the highest levels of power and control. Seems quite common in US leadership today. It also indicates that the majority of US have been dumber than a horses ass for allowing it to happen, me included, but things have changed.

No wonder these people in Washington,like Clinton, are worried about the citizens attitudes, THEIR lifestyles may be threatened, while they continue to suck us financially dry, no damn different than the 'days of old' when many of the peons who worked for the same greedy and controlling 'bastads. revolted and kicked their asses.

They squeeze us to the point of unconsciousness then call us names for complaining.

"F" them, I am more involved in politics both local and otherwise than ever before, as well as many other citizens that have finally woken up to see what's happening to America. So look for more laws to thwart the 'peaceful rebellion of change' by these people. 2 years into Obamas "Change for America" he and his misfits have successfully screwed the USA half way into the ground, and more.

Well my understanding from some reading a few years back that enforcing VAT was a problem in Europe. I have complete confidence in the ability of Americans to dodge taxes with the efficiency of anybody in the world.

As far as the votes go, I think the Right will attack it on simple merit (but their silence worries me when Bush's commission was looking at a new sales based tax) and the Left will attack it as being regressive.

Well, right now, the Republicans have no power at all and if he and Nancy want to push through a VAT, he has proven that he can do so by pushing through phase one of the move to Universal Health Care.

As for your point on the silence of Republicans regarding the Sales Tax, that silence was because President Bush was speaking about replacing the Income Tax with a National Sales Tax which would be a good thing in my opinion. Replacing the unmanageable regulations of the Income Tax with a simple sales tax (or better yet The Fair Tax) would be a good thing although I do not think it will happen. Good things do not come out of Washington.

Also from my understanding, the idea is not to replace the Income Tax with a VAT, but rather to supplement it. That is a huge difference between President Bush's plans and President Obama's in my book.

Immie

Immie, to my knowledge no one has ever seriously proposed replacing the income tax with a VAT or any other form of excise, sales or consumption tax. I would love to see a link to this.

In 2008, the corporate and personal income taxes in the US raised approximately 57% of the $2.5 Trillion in US revenues, 97% or more derived from taxation. (The government earns a small amount of interest income, income from the sale of assets, etc.)

There is no US VAT at this time, so if one were to be adopted and to replace the income taxes on individuals and corporations, it would have to raise approximately 1.425 Trillion dollars. Remember, the VAT is a tax on the "value added" to a product as it moves from the raw material stage to the distribution stage. It is not a tax on sales to consumers and it is not a tax on services. It is not a tax on real estate. Obviously then, the identity of taxpayers and the distribution of the tax burden under a VAT vs. the current income tax would be as different as night and day.

I'm having a terrible time finding data on the percent of GDP represented by the manufacture of goods or sales of commodities. Maybe someone more skilled in economics can help. But you should note, a VAT on the sale of an incomplete product or raw commodity to a buyer might not be possible if the purchaser is foreign and the sale is subject to a tax treaty, etc. Without getting too complicated, not all transactions involving such sales would be VAT taxable...only a subset of them.

Let's assume, for argument's sake, that the US GDP in 2008 included $110 Trillion from the sale of commodities and manufacture of goods. Assume further than $100 Trillion of these revenues were subject to VAT.

In order for a VAT to raise the revenues now raised by the income tax, it would have be imposed at a rate of 1.425. That may sound acceptable till you realize a complex good, such as a pc, would undergo at least 100 VAT transactions, and while each would not impose the tax on the value of the entire finished good, that cumulative effect would be crushing. Arguably, a pc would increase in cost to the direct consumer from $1000 to as much as $1,425 or more.

Of course, the consumer would have more spending money with which to buy the pc. If he was an ordinary middle class taxpayer, he'd have about 25% more to spend after income taxes were repealed. But would a 25% rise in income allow a taxpayer to acquire goods that have increased so much because of the VAT?

No matter how you slice it, a tax on income is the best way to raise revenue and distribute the tax burden among citizens.

Here's the link to "The Fair Tax" plan:

Americans For Fair Taxation: Americans For Fair Taxation

The plan is to replace the income tax with The Fair Tax not supplement the income tax. There is an excellent book written by Neal Boortz and John Linder explaining the reasons behind the plan, the problem with today's income taxation and the economics behind the Fair Tax.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/FairTax-Book-Neal-Boortz/dp/0060875410]Amazon.com: The FairTax Book (9780060875411): Neal Boortz, John Linder: Books[/ame]

A lot of lefties don't like the plan and they do raise some good questions. I on the other hand believe that those questions could be addressed if we cared to try. I think the Income Tax Laws in this country are obtrusive and beyond repair not to mention favorable to Congressional Bribe takers, those that will find loopholes and the corrupt. Therefore, I think the Fair Tax is the best way to go. Unfortunately, I'm not that good of a sales man and I can't seem to sell the plan to the intelligent lefties on this site.

There are other plans too like a "Flat Tax". Better than the income tax plan we have now, but in my opinion not as good as the Fair Tax Plan.

I had a copy of that book in my shelf... It is missing! :D

Immie

Last edited:

Immie

Let's assume, for argument's sake, that the US GDP in 2008 included $110 Trillion from the sale of commodities and manufacture of goods. Assume further than $110 Trillion of these revenues were subject to VAT.

In order for a VAT to raise the revenues now raised by the income tax, it would have be imposed at a rate of 1.425. That may sound acceptable till you realize a complex good, such as a pc, would undergo at least 100 VAT transactions, and while each would not impose the tax on the value of the entire finished good, that cumulative effect would be crushing. Arguably, a pc would increase in cost to the direct consumer from $1000 to as much as $1,425.

Of course, the consumer would have more spending money with which to buy the pc. If he was an ordinary middle class taxpayer, he'd have about 25% to spend after income taxes were repealed. But would a 25% rise in income allow a taxpayer to acquire goods that have increased so much because of the VAT?

Are you saying the VAT would replace the personal income tax?
I'm thinking the VAT is in addition to the persoanl income tax.

A lot of countries sold the idea that VAT would replace the personal income tax to get the VAT passed, only to renege after the VAT was implemented.

I don't think it is possible, from a practical standpoint, to impose a VAT at a rate high enough to replace revenues from the income taxes. I also don't think, as a policy matter, that it would be desirable to try because the distribution of the tax burden would be so dramatically different. Sellers of services would escape taxation altogether, and those with real estate-related income would also be untaxed. ALL INDIVIDUALS would escape taxation. The only taxpayer would be anyone in the chain of production of goods, from raw materials to distribution. This would drive the cost of goods up beyond any responsible inflationary rate, shrink consumer and investment spending, etc. A VAT would also be almost impossible to impose on commodities or goods distributed to foreign consumers or nations. Finally, I agree with other posters that a VAT would be unwieldly for taxpayers to comply with and relatively easy to subvert by fraud or avoidance.

If the GDP in 2012 is stagnant with 2008 levels, it will run about $105 Trillion. By ignoring inflation (if any) and assuming flat growth, we project a GDP that may approximate what will actually happen.

Total US revenues from taxation for 2008 were approximately $2.5 Trillion. (All these calculations are just for argument's sake and doubtless are wrong...I'm having trouble tracking this stuff down.)

Let's assume that the US government will "need" an additional 10% of tax revenues in 2012. That is, it has projected outlays of that size that it "feels" it cannot meet merely by issuing more debt (borrowing more money). So, tax revenues have to rise from $2.5 Trillion to $2.75 Trillion.

Not every tax is easily adjusted. Excise taxes, for example, may be the result of tax treaties that are not open to renegotiation, etc. The easiest tax rate to change is the tax on income...especially personal income.

In 2008, personal income tax raised 45% of the total, or $1.125 Trillion. If, in 2012, you wanted it to raise an additional $75 Billion from personal income taxes alone, you'd change the total receipts from $1.125 Trillion to $1.875. This is an increase of 60%.

SIXTY PERCENT.

And that is ONLY if the GDP is stagnant. What happens if it contracts? Or if government needs even more revenues because our currency has fallen against the euro, yen or whatnot and our cost of repaying debt has risen? Or if inflation settles in and prices begin to soar, but income does not? Or if unemployment deepens, or production shrinks?

I'm not saying any of this is inevitable. The fact is, no one knows and there have been positive signs about our economy. But SOME of this pain is on the way -- that much, most everyone agrees on.

The question is not going to be should the federal government impose higher taxes. It is going to be at what rate should they be imposed, and who should pay more?

When they do teh VAT, and more money comes in they will find new entitlements to spend it on, it won't go to paying what we owe.

Immie

Let's assume, for argument's sake, that the US GDP in 2008 included $110 Trillion from the sale of commodities and manufacture of goods. Assume further than $100 Trillion of these revenues were subject to VAT.

In order for a VAT to raise the revenues now raised by the income tax, it would have be imposed at a rate of 1.425. That may sound acceptable till you realize a complex good, such as a pc, would undergo at least 100 VAT transactions, and while each would not impose the tax on the value of the entire finished good, that cumulative effect would be crushing. Arguably, a pc would increase in cost to the direct consumer from $1000 to as much as $1,425 or more.

Of course, the consumer would have more spending money with which to buy the pc. If he was an ordinary middle class taxpayer, he'd have about 25% more to spend after income taxes were repealed. But would a 25% rise in income allow a taxpayer to acquire goods that have increased so much because of the VAT?

The plan is to replace the income tax with The Fair Tax not supplement the income tax. There is an excellent book written by Neal Boortz and John Linder explaining the reasons behind the plan, the problem with today's income taxation and the economics behind the Fair Tax.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/FairTax-Book-Neal-Boortz/dp/0060875410]Amazon.com: The FairTax Book (9780060875411): Neal Boortz, John Linder: Books[/ame]

A lot of lefties don't like the plan and they do raise some good questions. I on the other hand believe that those questions could be addressed if we cared to try. I think the Income Tax Laws in this country are obtrusive and beyond repair not to mention favorable to Congressional Bribe takers, those that will find loopholes and the corrupt. Therefore, I think the Fair Tax is the best way to go. Unfortunately, I'm not that good of a sales man and I can't seem to sell the plan to the intelligent lefties on this site.

There are other plans too like a "Flat Tax". Better than the income tax plan we have now, but in my opinion not as good as the Fair Tax Plan.

Immie

This looks like fascinating stuff, Immie. Thankies for the link! I might read the book too.

When they do teh VAT, and more money comes in they will find new entitlements to spend it on, it won't go to paying what we owe.

Perhaps it is time to begin working towards a constitutional amendment to require a balanced budget. There are huge problems with this, but they may be ones we can overcome. I'm not getting indigestion from the notion of a Line Item veto power for the president, either.

I don't want to be disingenuous here. I supported Universal Health Care and I still do. But I'd have liked to see it paid for by cuts in government spending, like elimination of price supports to Big Agriculture, etc.

All of you guys are wasting your breath debating something that will never even come to fruition. How do I know? WELL IF YOU MORONS HAD ACTUALLY READ THE FOOKING ARTICLE!

For days, White House spokesmen have said the president has not proposed and is not considering a VAT.

"I think I directly answered this the other day by saying that it wasn't something that the president had under consideration," White House press secretary Robert Gibbs told reporters shortly before Obama spoke with CNBC.

After the interview, White House deputy communications director Jen Psaki said nothing has changed and the White House is "not considering" a VAT.

He said his first priority "is to figure out how can we reduce wasteful spending so that, you know, we have a baseline of the core services that we need and the government should provide. And then we decide how do we pay for that."

Of course, you idiots read Drudge's big red letters and think something is true even though Obama has never said "VAT could be an option."

He DID say

President Obama said:
When asked if he could see a potential VAT in this nation, the president said: "I know that there's been a lot of talk around town lately about the value-added tax. That is something that has worked for some countries. It's something that would be novel for the United States. And before, you know, I start saying 'this makes sense or that makes sense,' I want to get a better picture of what our options are," Obama said.

Learn to fucking read, morons.

Last edited:

Immie

This looks like fascinating stuff, Immie. Thankies for the link! I might read the book too.

It is not perfect, but it was a good read. The plan isn't perfect either, but it is better than what we have today.

All of you guys are wasting your breath debating something that will never even come to fruition. How do I know? WELL IF YOU MORONS HAD ACTUALLY READ THE FOOKING ARTICLE!

For days, White House spokesmen have said the president has not proposed and is not considering a VAT.

"I think I directly answered this the other day by saying that it wasn't something that the president had under consideration," White House press secretary Robert Gibbs told reporters shortly before Obama spoke with CNBC.

After the interview, White House deputy communications director Jen Psaki said nothing has changed and the White House is "not considering" a VAT.

He said his first priority "is to figure out how can we reduce wasteful spending so that, you know, we have a baseline of the core services that we need and the government should provide. And then we decide how do we pay for that."

Of course, you idiots read Drudge's big red letters and think something is true even though Obama has never said "VAT could be an option."

He DID say

President Obama said:
When asked if he could see a potential VAT in this nation, the president said: "I know that there's been a lot of talk around town lately about the value-added tax. That is something that has worked for some countries. It's something that would be novel for the United States. And before, you know, I start saying 'this makes sense or that makes sense,' I want to get a better picture of what our options are," Obama said.

Learn to fucking read, morons.

I have to disagree with you that it will never happen.

It may not happen under the Obama Administration, but it will happen eventually. I happen to believe that it will happen under this administration despite the fact that originally President Obama said it would not happen.

You may love and adore the man and believe every thing you read about him or from him, I don't.

Immie

The health care has been scored by the CBO as budget nuetral

Don't confuse them with the facts when they've already made up their minds.

One might ask themselves just where did the numbers come from? Also was the Doc fix included? There is where you might find some facts about being budget nuetral.

Don't confuse them with the facts when they've already made up their minds.

One might ask themselves just where did the numbers come from? Also was the Doc fix included? There is where you might find some facts about being budget nuetral.

The CBO score is based on:

- 10 Years of tax increases
- 6 Years of benefit pay outs
- $500B of transfers of Medicare tax receipts from that program to ObamaCare (hastening the former's insolvency
- Plus transfers of SS and CLASS act taxes from to ObamaCare to the tune of $120B+

It excludes the Doc Fix - another $200B plus problem.

Budget neutrality is a fiction, as the former CBO director has discussed publicly.

No, it hasn't. The smoke and mirrors that the Democrats turned in has been scored as budget neutral. The CBO even said at the end that they won't be able to give a correct budget score until they RECEIVE all of the facts from the bill.

Not to mention that the first 10 years of expense for the bill only pays for 6 years of implementation.

Stop with your lies TM.

Rick

Does anyone else find Madeline's Blue Font to be incredibly annoying?

A VAT is one of the most efficient taxes.

But I can't see it. I don't think it would get through Congress.

I'd rather see them cut spending.

it may be efficient but ignores the problem. That's the solution if you think the problem is our government doesn't have enough money. Because remember a VAT would be in addition to what we already pay in taxes. The problem really is government spends too much money and does it extremely inefficiently. We need a simpler system to REPLACE our ridiculous tax code, not keep adding crap to it. I just don't understand the aversion to a fair tax. Which would greatly simplify everyone's lives and still leave government with plenty of money.

$1.8 million Volkswagen Bugatti Veyron

$11,300 for a pair of Earnest Sewn and Van Cleef & Arpels Alhambra jeans

Stefano Bemer toad and camel shoes $2,000.00

Vanilla Bicycle, the frame alone begins at $2,150.

Icho Cashmere jacket $2,000.00

They say it's NOT about "price".

Good.

Tax the fuckers. Higher cost only makes it more desirable.

How many jobs will be lost by eliminating the market for luxury goods?

Forum List

Back