Obama suggests value-added tax may be an option

Does anyone else find Madeline's Blue Font to be incredibly annoying?

Are you unable to decide what you think until others tell you? Simply asking me to alter it for your ease of reading might have worked. This seems more like "I cannot debate you on the issues so let me snark at you about bullshit."

Paranoid much?

Using a serif font in an odd color on a message board makes it difficult for some people to read your posts. If you can't handle that minor amount of feedback, then reading and addressing the content of your posts is a waste of time.

How many jobs will be lost by eliminating the market for luxury goods?

Probably none. Because taxing it doesn't eliminate it.

Will someone paying $11,300 for a pair of Earnest Sewn and Van Cleef & Arpels Alhambra jeans find that paying $12,000 is "too much"?

How many jobs will be lost by eliminating the market for luxury goods?

Probably none. Because taxing it doesn't eliminate it.

Will someone paying $11,300 for a pair of Earnest Sewn and Van Cleef & Arpels Alhambra jeans find that paying $12,000 is "too much"?

History proves you wrong. 30,000 jobs were lost in the marine industry in the early 1990s. One of the families in our middle class neighborhood had to sell their home because the father's business (boat dealer) tanked.

The cognitive dissonance which you Big Government types display about taxes would be amusing if it weren't so destructive. Tobacco and Alcohol are taxed on the pretext that the government needs to get us to not use them (by making the products too expensive for many to afford).

And yet, taxing luxury goods is supposed to result in a net tax receipt gain? Dream on. Even rich people have their "taxed enough already" point. Tacking on a 20% VAT to luxury items will result in lower sales and loss of working and middle class jobs - the people who make, distribute, sell, and service the items.

ya'll libruls owe my Charles Krauthammer an apology.

Why? Just because something is not taken off the table doesn't mean that is what is being recommended. Or are you still having that reading comprehension problem?

"I know that there's been a lot of talk around town lately about the value-added tax," he told CNBC on Wednesday. "That is something that has worked for some countries."

"Before, you know, I start saying 'this makes sense or that makes sense,' I want to get a better picture of what our options are," Obama said.

Paranoid much?

Using a serif font in an odd color on a message board makes it difficult for some people to read your posts. If you can't handle that minor amount of feedback, then reading and addressing the content of your posts is a waste of time.

Oh, I don't know. As an old fart, that blue is a lot easier to see against the backdrop of USMB.

Is it so uncustomary for anyone to alter their font on USMB that it warrants this hijack? The size (4) and color are easier for me to read. The font (Book Antigua) is a preference. It is not bold. This would be bold. It was italicized by someone mentioned to me that doing so made readability harder, so I have stopped.

Bitch, bitch bitch......

I'm going to start a new thread on what our tax system ought to be. I like this topic and discussing it makes me happy. If you have serious vision problems and need an accomodation from me, please drop me a PM.

If you simply like hassling people you suspect you would not agree with if you understood the issues, go piss up a rope.

I'm getting tired of her parroting.

And rdean obviously has no concept of how our economy works. Believe it or not, middle class people build and sell luxury items. My community thrives on boating. A 20 percent VAT would destroy that industry. But continue your rant about the "evil rich". Envy is also a deadly sin.

Paranoid much?

Agreed, using colors, font size etc is fine to make a point or highlight a thought or keyword here and there is fine, but I myself, and I cannot speak for others but, I prefer white background with black font. Special attention getter's are fine but, moderation , I think, would be the keyword in in most of these posts.
It's just more comfortable to read, that's just my opinion. :eusa_angel:

The health care has been scored by the CBO as budget nuetral

Don't confuse them with the facts when they've already made up their minds.

One might ask themselves just where did the numbers come from? Also was the Doc fix included? There is where you might find some facts about being budget nuetral.

OF COURSE you're suspsicious of the numbers when they don't work in your favor! But when they DO work in your favor, you righties are quick to point the CBO numbers but NEVER question them then!

Lamers.

Paranoid much?

Hi there. We haven't been introduced, yet. Lots people know me around here from the historic 2008 election.

Let me extend my hand out to you and welcome your fucking stupid ass to USMB.

Are you really so anal that you have to sit here and nitpick what font and color other people use? If it's hard for YOU to read, then put them on ignore and you'll never have to read them! Stop fucking whining.

Don't confuse them with the facts when they've already made up their minds.

One might ask themselves just where did the numbers come from? Also was the Doc fix included? There is where you might find some facts about being budget nuetral.

OF COURSE you're suspsicious of the numbers when they don't work in your favor! But when they DO work in your favor, you righties are quick to point the CBO numbers but NEVER question them then!

Lamers.

I'm suspscious of any CBO numbers, so quit inferring that it's a democrat/republican thing wih me. Your sounding just like a pea brain, davids. Do you recall what the CBO's numbers were with Medicare? WTF happened to those numbers? Why wasn't the Doc Fix part of the obamacare Bill? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

Drink some more of that orange Kool-Aid, okay?

Last edited:
I'm surprised to see so many cons getting pissed off about this. I thought they were all about consumption taxes.

Go figure.

I'm surprised to see so many cons getting pissed off about this. I thought they were all about consumption taxes.

Go figure.

I've never been for any taxes but.....a Vat vs Personal Income Tax is one thing, but a VAT plus a Persaonal Income Tax is down right wrong IMO. Then add the state sales tax plus the state income tax, I'm sure higher gas taxes won't be far behind all of this with a Cap and Trade bill. See what my dilemma is with all of these taxes, it just get so confusing, and I really don't hear of any serious (actual) spending cuts being considered. The money from one program gets deverted to another program. On and on.....

Did I forget to mention property taxes?

Last edited:
About 20 years ago I was listening to a talk show on the vat and I came to the conclusion that if it was adopted in place of federal income tax it might be a good thing. BUT NOT WITH FEDERAL INCOME TAX STILL IN PLACE. That's a double teared tax system, talk about getting it from all sides. Keep it up libs.

You know how you avoid getting addicted to cigarettes? Don't start in the first place.

That is all well and good for those of us who never did.

Unfortunately, you can't say that to people who lived and began smoking when the nation addicted so many people to tobacco. When I was a kid, I remember just about every other TV commercial was an ad for a tobacco product. Smoking was not the taboo it is today.

However, none of this changes the fact that the first thing the President did upon entering the office is to raise taxes on families earning less than $250k. He simply chose the politically correct victims of the day to raise them on.

Immie

Cigarettes are families now. I guess things have changed.

Forum List

Back