Obama Opposes Releasing Photos of U.S. Detainee Abuse

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
In a sharp reversal, the White House announced Wednesday the administration will not release hundreds of photos potentially showing U.S. military personnel abusing prisoners in Iraq and Afghanistan in the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

A senior administration official told FOX News that President Obama told his legal advisers last week that he did not feel comfortable with the release of the photos because he believes they would endanger U.S. troops, and that the national security implications of such a release have not been fully presented in federal court.

"Obama would be the last to excuse the actions depicted in these photos," the official said. "That is why the Department of Defense investigated these cases, and why individuals have been punished through prison sentences, discharges and a range of other punitive measures.

"But the president strongly believes that the release of these photos, particularly at this time, would only serve the purpose of inflaming the theaters of war, jeopardizing U.S. forces, and making our job more difficult in places like Iraq and Afghanistan," reads a statement from the White House.

Obama Opposes Releasing Photos of U.S. Detainee Abuse - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com

finally he makes the right choice!

Word of Obama's decision on Wednesday came after top military commanders in Iraq and Afghanistan expressed fears that publicizing the pictures could put their troops in danger. When the Abu Ghraib photos emerged in 2004 of grinning U.S. soldiers posing with detainees, some naked, some being held on leashes, they caused a huge anti-American backlash around the globe, particularly in the Muslim world.

Obama decided he did not feel comfortable with the photos release, and was concerned it would inflame tensions in Iraq and Afghanistan, put U.S. soldiers at higher risk and make the U.S. mission in those two wars more difficult, according to White House officials.
Obama seeks to block release of abuse photos | TPM News Pages

Word of Obama's decision on Wednesday came after top military commanders in Iraq and Afghanistan expressed fears that publicizing the pictures could put their troops in danger. When the Abu Ghraib photos emerged in 2004 of grinning U.S. soldiers posing with detainees, some naked, some being held on leashes, they caused a huge anti-American backlash around the globe, particularly in the Muslim world.

Obama decided he did not feel comfortable with the photos release, and was concerned it would inflame tensions in Iraq and Afghanistan, put U.S. soldiers at higher risk and make the U.S. mission in those two wars more difficult, according to White House officials.

I think that's good news! :clap2:

I think that's good news! :clap2:
Probably...but it makes you wonder why we ever did something we have to hide from ourselves. :eusa_eh:

Two things immediately strike me about this story.

1. Who is the stupid retard taking pictures.

and

2. Obama really can be quite a pussy.

Ain't it great. He still has to cover up for the misdeeds and crimes under the Bush regime.

If he does nothing to follow up on any investigation into possible warcrimes and civil crimes committed by members of the Cheney/Bush fuckup, he assumes part of the guilt and blame for them.

Torture is a war crime. We have signed laws against torture. Waterboarding has been torture since the Catholics used it in the Spanish inquisition.

Love the way the lying right now states it isn't torture even though we executed our enemies for doing it to US.

Total hypocrits and moral cowards.

and

Number 1 - Good question!

Number 2 - Why do you think this makes him a "pussy" ?

Number 3 - Is that Barbie in your avatar again? :razz:

Ain't it great. He still has to cover up for the misdeeds and crimes under the Bush regime.

If he does nothing to follow up on any investigation into possible warcrimes and civil crimes committed by members of the Cheney/Bush fuckup, he assumes part of the guilt and blame for them.

Torture is a war crime. We have signed laws against torture. Waterboarding has been torture since the Catholics used it in the Spanish inquisition.

Love the way the lying right now states it isn't torture even though we executed our enemies for doing it to US.

They're still on the record, aren't they? What good could ever come from having them become fodder in the court of public opinion right now while our troops our still deployed over there? The policy has stopped and the issue could be reviewed later on.

IMO NOTHING good would come of releasing those photos right now.

Last edited:

and

Military often takes pictures of goings-on during interrogation to protect themselves from accusation and for training purposes.

I applaud his reconsideration and ultimate reversal. Seems he's beginning to listen to those who's business is war... and war ain't a purdy thang!

Hey... just my opinion.

Not releasing the photos so as not to further inflame the passions of the people in the countries we occupy is clearly the right decision.

Of course Obama haters call it a "pussy" decision. If he had released them Obama haters would have castigted him for lack of consern for the troops.

Just because the pictures have not been released for public consumption does not mean they will not be used to try and convict Bush, Cheney and the rest of the torture gang.

I beleive the photo release was part of a freedom of information request by the ACLU. These Photos will be used for prosecutorial purposes but not to feed the medias curiosity...

Haven't the people who did the crimes at Abu Graib been tried and sentenced?

Not releasing the photos so as not to further inflame the passions of the people in the countries we occupy is clearly the right decision.

Of course Obama haters call it a "pussy" decision. If he had released them Obama haters would have castigted him for lack of consern for the troops.

Just because the pictures have not been released for public consumption does not mean they will not be used to try and convict Bush, Cheney and the rest of the torture gang.

No actually, in a thread I started under politics I called it right decision.. and for the record,, speaking only for myself,, no obama hater,, just hate his policies,, and his apologist ways,, I'll be proud of him when he's proud of us and not a second before. thanks for listening.

Forum List

Back