FBI agent say torture doesn't work

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The contentious debate over so-called "enhanced interrogation techniques" took center stage on Capitol Hill on Wednesday as a former FBI agent involved in the questioning of terror suspects testified that such techniques -- including waterboarding -- are ineffective.

Ali Soufan, an FBI special agent from 1997 to 2005, told members of a key Senate Judiciary subcommittee that such "techniques, from an operational perspective, are ineffective, slow and unreliable, and harmful to our efforts to defeat al Qaeda."

'Enhanced interrogations' don't work, ex-FBI agent tells panel - CNN.com

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The contentious debate over so-called "enhanced interrogation techniques" took center stage on Capitol Hill on Wednesday as a former FBI agent involved in the questioning of terror suspects testified that such techniques -- including waterboarding -- are ineffective.

Ali Soufan, an FBI special agent from 1997 to 2005, told members of a key Senate Judiciary subcommittee that such "techniques, from an operational perspective, are ineffective, slow and unreliable, and harmful to our efforts to defeat al Qaeda."

'Enhanced interrogations' don't work, ex-FBI agent tells panel - CNN.com

Sounds like it's time for the right to come up with something to disparage Ali Soufan with.

washington (cnn) -- the contentious debate over so-called "enhanced interrogation techniques" took center stage on capitol hill on wednesday as a former fbi agent involved in the questioning of terror suspects testified that such techniques -- including waterboarding -- are ineffective.

Ali soufan, an fbi special agent from 1997 to 2005, told members of a key senate judiciary subcommittee that such "techniques, from an operational perspective, are ineffective, slow and unreliable, and harmful to our efforts to defeat al qaeda."

'enhanced interrogations' don't work, ex-fbi agent tells panel - cnn.com

sounds like it's time for the right to come up with something to disparage ali soufan with.

lol!

You found someone who is against torture? I cant believe it!

Why take this guys word for anything, when you can simply ask the previous administration or the current administration if it works? Obama will tell you it does, and so will his National Security Advisor. Furthermore, the previous and current director of the CIA will tell you the same thing.

Why take this guys word for anything, when you can simply ask the previous administration or the current administration if it works? Obama will tell you it does, and so will his National Security Advisor. Furthermore, the previous and current director of the CIA will tell you the same thing.
Link?

Link?

WASHINGTON - President Obama’s national intelligence director told colleagues in a private memo last week that the harsh interrogation techniques banned by the White House did produce significant information that helped the nation in its struggle with terrorists.
NYT: Harsh techniques worked, intel chief says - White House- msnbc.com

Link?

Obama Administration Admits "Torture" Techniques Effective

CIA director Michael Hayden says coercive and harsh interrogations techniques worked -

Bush-era interrogation may have worked, Obama official says - CNN.com

Efficacy is not the question. The fact is torture is illegal, has been since General George Washington banned it, and waterboarding has been called torture since the Spanish Inquisition and is recongnized as such by every civilized country in the world.

The shame of the Repubs, defending the Torture President, Bush.

Theres no shame in that. Its pretty cool if you ask me. Of course lets be honest, there have been many previous presidents that probably tortured in the past, they just kept it secret.

Link?

Obama Administration Admits "Torture" Techniques Effective

CIA director Michael Hayden says coercive and harsh interrogations techniques worked -

Bush-era interrogation may have worked, Obama official says - CNN.com
I don't see a quote by Obama, his NSA or the current director of the CIA at your links.

You think Obamas NSA would release a statement like this without consulting Obama? You are being disingenuous. As for his current CIA director, he is just as privy to the Bush memos as anyone else, so he is fully aware that it worked too.

You think Obamas NSA would release a statement like this without consulting Obama? You are being disingenuous. As for his current CIA director, he is just as privy to the Bush memos as anyone else, so he is fully aware that it worked too.
:rolleyes: You made the claim, back it up.

Efficacy is not the question. The fact is torture is illegal, has been since General George Washington banned it, and waterboarding has been called torture since the Spanish Inquisition and is recongnized as such by every civilized country in the world.

yes the middle ages spanish and the cia waterboared the same way....nice try....

you do know people were tortured by the clinton administration....

I don't see a quote by Obama, his NSA or the current director of the CIA at your links.

I think i did, very effectively. You can pretend Obama had no knowledge about his NSAs statement, but you and i both know you arent being honest about it.

Theres no shame in that. Its pretty cool if you ask me. Of course lets be honest, there have been many previous presidents that probably tortured in the past, they just kept it secret.

Nice soundbite with no backup. That's what I've come to expect on the right's love of torture.

George Washington, you know him, banned it. Times were a hell of a lot more difficult fighting the English then fighting to terrorists.

People who are in favor of torture are moral cowards who are ready to throw away our national values to cover their little tushies.

P.S. Boy, a lot of former interogators have said the same thing. It's not effective. But just like the arms inspectors in Iraq, why believe the experts?

Nice soundbite with no backup. That's what I've come to expect on the right's love of torture.

George Washington, you know him, banned it. Times were a hell of a lot more difficult fighting the English then fighting to terrorists.

People who are in favor of torture are moral cowards who are ready to throw away our national values to cover their little tushies.

P.S. Boy, a lot of former interogators have said the same thing. It's not effective. But just like the arms inspectors in Iraq, why believe the experts?

clinton gore practiced rendition under which people were tortured ....

Im not a moral coward, and i dont understand where you drew that conclusion from, other than the fact that you think it sounds smart to say a line like that.

People say lots of things, but that doesnt mean they are true.

If you were to start torturing every suspected murderer or criminal in this country, it wont be effective because there isnt enough intelligence on every citizen to know if they are telling the truth, but thats not the case with high profile terrorists.

With a Khalid Sheik Mohammed, its very easy to know if hes telling the truth, because you you ask him questions like "how do we find your bomb maker?", "are there currently terrorists in our country preparing to attack us?".

When he gives the location of the bomb maker and we capture him, we know hes telling the truth, if he lied, we torture him some more until he gives us the real location. The fact is, he DID give up valuable information, and it stopped a major terrorist attack from happening in California. It works.

You may not like torture, but denying that it works is naive or an outright lie... take your pick.

I think i did, very effectively. You can pretend Obama had no knowledge about his NSAs statement, but you and i both know you arent being honest about it.
Obama's NSA is James Jones. You said Obama, his NSA and the current head of the CIA would tell us that torture worked. I asked you to provide links. You didn't. You are the one that isn't being honest.

Yea, godboy! Who needs the testimony of FBI agents, John "POW" Mccain and a Navy Seal when YOU say torture works!

:rofl:

good fucking grief.. these people would turn the US into the very iraq they used as a talking point to invade.

Forum List

Back