Obama initiates first water boarding prosecution

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Not against one of the water boarders, he is prosecuting the guy who told us it was going on. I don't know about anyone else, but it makes me wonder if he actually stopped the water boarding like he claims.

It's outrageous that John Kiriakou, a whistleblower, is the ONLY INDIVIDUAL TO BE PROSECUTED IN RELATION TO THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION'S TORTURE PROGRAM.
The interrogators who tortured prisoners, the officials who gave the orders, the attorneys who authored the torture memos, and the CIA agents who destroyed the interrogation tapes have not been held professionally accountable, much less charged with crimes. But John Kiriakou is facing decades in prison for helping expose torture.
The fact that national security and intelligence officials have become the exception to the Obama administration's mantra of "looking forward, not backward" and Bush-era lawbreaking sets a dangerous precedent: if you torture a prisoner, you will not be held criminally liable, but if you blow the whistle on torture, you risk criminal prosecution under the Espionage Act.
So what's the back-story here? In the government's own words:
The charges result from an investigation that was triggered by a classified defense filing [by attorneys representing Guantanamo detainees], which contained classified information the defense had not been given through official government channels, and in part, by the discovery . . . of photographs of certain government employees and contractors [alleged torturers] in the materials of high-value detainees.

The Truth About the Espionage Act Prosecution Against Whistleblower John Kiriakou - Government Accountability Project

They told me if I didn't vote for Obama that this would happen...

Not against one of the water boarders, he is prosecuting the guy who told us it was going on. I don't know about anyone else, but it makes me wonder if he actually stopped the water boarding like he claims.

It's outrageous that John Kiriakou, a whistleblower, is the ONLY INDIVIDUAL TO BE PROSECUTED IN RELATION TO THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION'S TORTURE PROGRAM.
The interrogators who tortured prisoners, the officials who gave the orders, the attorneys who authored the torture memos, and the CIA agents who destroyed the interrogation tapes have not been held professionally accountable, much less charged with crimes. But John Kiriakou is facing decades in prison for helping expose torture.
The fact that national security and intelligence officials have become the exception to the Obama administration's mantra of "looking forward, not backward" and Bush-era lawbreaking sets a dangerous precedent: if you torture a prisoner, you will not be held criminally liable, but if you blow the whistle on torture, you risk criminal prosecution under the Espionage Act.
The charges result from an investigation that was triggered by a classified defense filing [by attorneys representing Guantanamo detainees], which contained classified information the defense had not been given through official government channels, and in part, by the discovery . . . of photographs of certain government employees and contractors [alleged torturers] in the materials of high-value detainees.
The Truth About the Espionage Act Prosecution Against Whistleblower John Kiriakou - Government Accountability Project

I noted a funny odor. Consequently, I used the Internets to gather some preliminary information.

Charged

On Monday, January 23, 2012, Kiriakou was charged with repeatedly disclosing classified information to journalists, including the name of a covert CIA officer and information revealing the role of another CIA employee, Deuce Martinez, in classified activities.[19][20][21] In addition to leaking the names and roles of CIA officers, Kiriakou was alleged to have lied to the CIA to get his book published.[22]
On 5 April, he was indicted. The indictment charges Kiriakou with 1 count of violating the Intelligence Identities Protection Act, 3 counts of violating the Espionage Act, and 1 count of making false statements for allegedly lying to the Publications Review Board of the CIA.

John Kiriakou - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We should still be waterboarding these scumbags. Fuck the PC partisan bullshit. We are at war and we need to starting treating it that way! Fuck Islamist and Bravo Obama for making the correct thing.

FINALLY he is prosecutes the RIGHT person!

I noted a funny odor. Consequently, I used the Internets to gather some preliminary information.

Charged

On Monday, January 23, 2012, Kiriakou was charged with repeatedly disclosing classified information to journalists, including the name of a covert CIA officer and information revealing the role of another CIA employee, Deuce Martinez, in classified activities.[19][20][21] In addition to leaking the names and roles of CIA officers, Kiriakou was alleged to have lied to the CIA to get his book published.[22]
On 5 April, he was indicted. The indictment charges Kiriakou with 1 count of violating the Intelligence Identities Protection Act, 3 counts of violating the Espionage Act, and 1 count of making false statements for allegedly lying to the Publications Review Board of the CIA.

John Kiriakou - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yep, he told people about the water boarding.

Repeatedly.

He admits that, and everyone knows about it, yet Obama is prosecuting him.

And allegedly lied about what was in the book he wrote.

Former CIA officer charged with revealing information to journalists – CNN Security Clearance - CNN.com Blogs

Nice to see the usual brainless defense of all things Obama from the usual idiots though.

Just another obamaturd politically expediant lie.

Is this the guy who waterboarded Hannity?

No....wait.....

All this is just a way for Obama to try to pacify and fire up his base before the election. All his slow witted supporters will hear his that Obama is prosecuting those meanies that tortured people. They won't care for details. His base fires on 15 second sound bites and he knows it.

All this is just a way for Obama to try to pacify and fire up his base before the election. All his slow witted supporters will hear his that Obama is prosecuting those meanies that tortured people. They won't care for details. His base fires on 15 second sound bites and he knows it.
Not only that, but Barack Obama has corroborating ya-yas in the press to keep the truth from the American people.

Barack Obama. President of the ya-yas. :rolleyes:

Not only that, but Barack Obama has corroborating ya-yas in the press to keep the truth from the American people.

Sounds more and more like you guys are laying your "failure" groundwork for November....getting your plans all coordinated as to who to blame.

Slightly more interesting than the thoughtless drivel that you nutters come up with in threads like this is the way that you seem to think that what you are saying is even the least bit original.

I mean....is this:

"Barack Obama has corroborating ya-yas in the press to keep the truth from the American people."

............something that has not been said on these forums at least 1000 times? Why does the idiot who wrote it think it is some kind of deep revelation?

Don't you get bored?

A typical propaganda trial. Left wing regimes do it all the time. The fact that water boarding was part of the Psy-Ops manual for decades and elite US Troops go through it in training makes no difference to Barry's people. Pretty ironic that the Attorney General who would prosecute the case is guilty of far worse crimes for authorizing the shipment of 3,000 illegal weapons to Mexico.

Sounds more and more like you guys are laying your "failure" groundwork for November....getting your plans all coordinated as to who to blame.

Fact: Obama is prosecuting the man who leaked the fact that water boarding was being done to detainees at Guantanamo.

Fact: Bush did not prosecute this person.

Fact: Obama has brought more actions under the Espionage Act than all other presidents in history combined.

Fact: This is all on Obama.

Slightly more interesting than the thoughtless drivel that you nutters come up with in threads like this is the way that you seem to think that what you are saying is even the least bit original.

I mean....is this:

"Barack Obama has corroborating ya-yas in the press to keep the truth from the American people."

............something that has not been said on these forums at least 1000 times? Why does the idiot who wrote it think it is some kind of deep revelation?

Don't you get bored?

What got boring and still bores is the constant chanting of bushdidit bushdidit bushdidit...

A typical propaganda trial. Left wing regimes do it all the time. The fact that water boarding was part of the Psy-Ops manual for decades and elite US Troops go through it in training makes no difference to Barry's people. Pretty ironic that the Attorney General who would prosecute the case is guilty of far worse crimes for authorizing the shipment of 3,000 illegal weapons to Mexico.

I think you might have misread the article, or perhaps never read it at all.

Well if he hasn't stopped it, that would be great, wouldn't it

Its not surprising to me at all that a righty is opposed to the idea of upholding the federal law against disclosing the identity of CIA agents.

Sorry but being a whistleblower doesn't give you carte blanche to break any law you want.

Last edited:

If shipping weapons to 3rd world nations was a war crime you'd have to indict a lot of private U.S. businesses.

BTW - what page?

http://www.fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm3-05-30.pdf

Its not surprising to me at all that a righty is opposed to the idea of upholding the federal law against disclosing the identity of CIA agents.

Sorry but being a whistleblower doesn't give you carte blanche to break any law you want.

Excuse me? If I was a right winger, like you seem to think I am, I would be cheering the fact that the government is finally going after spies. By the way, how did he disclose anyone's identity?

Excuse me? If I was a right winger, like you seem to think I am, I would be cheering the fact that the government is finally going after spies.
No - if you were a right winger - you'd be opposed to anything that happens under Obama.

By the way, how did he disclose anyone's identity?

According to authorities, Kiriakou divulged to three journalists, including a New York Times reporter, the role of "Officer B," who worked with Kiriakou on the capture of suspected al-Qaida financier Abu Zubaydah in the months after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.
WebCite query result

Forum List

Back