Nov 22, 2003
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-morekirk10.html#

www.suntimes.com

Back to regular view
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-morekirk10.html

Print this page

Obama rips Kirk nod to anti-Arab bias

November 10, 2005

WASHINGTON -- Sen. Barack Obama, the U.S. Senate's only black member, criticized another lawmaker from Illinois on Wednesday for published comments on discrimination against young Arabs.

Republican U.S. Rep. Mark Kirk was at an event last weekend at Northwestern University when he was asked about the difficulties of the visa process for immigrants. He was quoted by the Chicago Sun-Times as saying: "I'm OK with discrimination against young Arab males from terrorist-producing states. I'm OK with that."

"I think that when we look at the threat that's out there, young men, between, say, the ages of 18 and 25 from a couple of countries, I believe a certain amount of intense scrutiny should be placed on them," the Highland Park congressman was quoted as saying. "I'm not threatened by people from China. I'm not even threatened by people from Mexico. I just know where the threat is from. It's from a unique place, and I think it's OK to recognize that.''

Obama took issue with the comments.

"I like Mark Kirk, enjoy working with him and believe he cares deeply about our nation's security, but I believe his statement indicates a cavalier attitude towards civil liberties,'' the Democrat said. "His comments do a disservice to the public diplomacy process that's required to win the war on terror.''

'We need intense scrutiny'

The Council of Islamic Organizations of Greater Chicago has urged public officials to repudiate Kirk's remarks.

Obama's office said the senator's statement was not in response to the group.

On Wednesday night, Kirk issued a statement to clarify his position on the issue: "We need to strengthen our visa entry process to guard against the threat, and we need intense scrutiny on applicants from terrorist producing countries," Kirk said.

"Ignoring that reality would only do a disservice to our country's security."

AP and Sun-Times staff reports

Copyright © The Sun-Times Company
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

correct, misguided, uninformed, full of bull, liberal democrat. This guy is NOT going to be running for higher office anytime soon. On the other hand, let him run. He will be exposed as the liberal dem that he is..

ThomasPaine said:
correct, misguided, uninformed, full of bull, liberal democrat. This guy is NOT going to be running for higher office anytime soon. On the other hand, let him run. He will be exposed as the liberal dem that he is..
Can one imagine what he could achieve with his resume and background, if he wasn't mired in the drivel?

ThomasPaine said:
Can one imagine what he could achieve with his resume and background, if he wasn't mired in the drivel?

You need some commentary of your own in your OP or the mods will delete your thread.

Forum List

Back