Obama Fried Chicken

Should the store be allowed to use Obama's Name?

• No, it is wrong!

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Yes, it is capitalism!

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Fill in other poll option.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Brooklyn Restaurant’s Name Hits a Sour Note

04chicken_xl.jpg

To the list of lofty names that glamorize the city’s fried chicken stands, like Crown, Royal and Kennedy, one Brooklyn restaurant owner decided to add another: Obama.

From the restaurant’s perspective, the name change grew out of pride in the new president and a keen sense of commerce. From other perspectives, it was tone-deaf at best, and racist at worst. When the restaurant, Royal Fried Chicken on Rutland Road in Brownsville, changed its name last week to Obama Fried Chicken, the reaction was swift.

“Community leaders came. They told us we have to change the name,” said Mohammad Jabbar, 33, the manager. “They said if you don’t change it they will take action.”

It was the latest outbreak of commercial enthusiasm for President Obama and his family. An Illinois company tried to sell dolls that looked like the president’s daughters, and a Brooklyn brewery, Sixpoint Craft Ales, named a beer Hop Obama in honor of the community organizer in chief.

A few minutes’ drive from Obama Fried Chicken, Obama Beauty Supply opened its doors several months ago. Its owner, Mohammed Seraji, said he was inspired by his children’s enthusiasm for the president, along with Mr. Obama’s popularity in the neighborhood. A Michelle Obama wig he sells, for $49.99, is emerging as a popular item.

A White House spokesman, Ben LaBolt, said in an e-mail message, “The White House has a longstanding policy of disapproving uses of the president’s name and likeness for commercial purposes.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/04/nyregion/04chicken.html

Last edited:
I see nothing wrong with Obama Fried Chicken. President Obama should be flattered. Are we going to ban the use of all president names? People need to get a life and leave the Obama Fried Chicken owner alone.

Last edited:
This is a very convoluted poll, P.C.
I think if I were black, it would be acceptable. If I were white, I would be considered a racist.
Having said that...there's more. If I was a black democrat, it would be acceptable, but if I were a black republican, I would be a racist. We are talking "fried Chicken"...right? That's pretty controversial in this day and age.
When I die, am I going to hell for this??? :eusa_eh:

Last edited:
I think if I were black, it would be acceptable. If I were white, I would be considered a racist.
Having said that...there's more. If I was a black democrat, it would be acceptable, but if I were a black republican, I would be a racist. We are talking "fried Chicken"...right? That's pretty controversial in this day and age.

I didn't mean it to be convoluted. I think it's a good business move. There are always people out there ready and willing to be offended. What if they put Jerry Seinfeld's name on a brand of kosher hotdogs. Would that be racist? Frankly, President Obama should be flattered. Some business owner thought he could cash out on Obama's popularity. Hey I'd be flattered if they wanted to put my label on something.

No Meister you won't go to hell. G_d isn't racist. :)

I can see it now, they undercook the chicken, their partrons get salmonella poisoning. They blame it on the Bush administation, then ACORN organizes a bus trip to Bush's ranch to protest ....

04chicken_xl.jpg

To the list of lofty names that glamorize the city’s fried chicken stands, like Crown, Royal and Kennedy, one Brooklyn restaurant owner decided to add another: Obama.

From the restaurant’s perspective, the name change grew out of pride in the new president and a keen sense of commerce. From other perspectives, it was tone-deaf at best, and racist at worst. When the restaurant, Royal Fried Chicken on Rutland Road in Brownsville, changed its name last week to Obama Fried Chicken, the reaction was swift.

“Community leaders came. They told us we have to change the name,” said Mohammad Jabbar, 33, the manager. “They said if you don’t change it they will take action.”

It was the latest outbreak of commercial enthusiasm for President Obama and his family. An Illinois company tried to sell dolls that looked like the president’s daughters, and a Brooklyn brewery, Sixpoint Craft Ales, named a beer Hop Obama in honor of the community organizer in chief.

A few minutes’ drive from Obama Fried Chicken, Obama Beauty Supply opened its doors several months ago. Its owner, Mohammed Seraji, said he was inspired by his children’s enthusiasm for the president, along with Mr. Obama’s popularity in the neighborhood. A Michelle Obama wig he sells, for $49.99, is emerging as a popular item.

A White House spokesman, Ben LaBolt, said in an e-mail message, “The White House has a longstanding policy of disapproving uses of the president’s name and likeness for commercial purposes.”

i'm completely distracted by the fact that the sign says "nugget's" instead of "nuggets"

other than that, i have no problem with it.

I didn't mean it to be convoluted. I think it's a good business move. There are always people out there ready and willing to be offended. What if they put Jerry Seinfeld's name on a brand of kosher hotdogs. Would that be racist? Frankly, President Obama should be flattered. Some business owner thought he could cash out on Obama's popularity. Hey I'd be flattered if they wanted to put my label on something.

I'm sure Obama would be flattered. :lol:

Is nothing sacred? He's the freaking president of the most powerful nation in the world for God's sake.

Is nothing sacred? He's the freaking president of the most powerful nation in the world for God's sake.

And yet, discussions about chicken nuggets are more entertaining...

Teddy Rooselvelt, 26th President of the U.S., popular and revered with his likeness esconced on Mt Rushmore.

Ever hear of the Teddy Bear?

Morris Michtom made the first official toy bear called the teddy bear. Michtom owned a small novelty and candy store in Brooklyn, New York. His wife Rose was making toy bears for sale in their store. Michtom sent Roosevelt a bear and asked permission to use the teddy bear name. Roosevelt said yes. Michtom and a company called Butler Brothers, began to mass-produce the teddy bear. Within a year Michtom started his own company called the Ideal Novelty and Toy Company.

History of the Teddy Bear

Not if he has is way, we will be just above a thrid world shit hole coun try. And if it aint illegal guess what? IT IS LEGAL.

Man. You folks who are exercised with indignation over The Prophet's surname being used along with a fried chicken place need to get a grip. Do you actually think The Prophet would object? He is nothing if not a personal marketing machine.

Tell you what, if he issues an executive order prohibiting his name to be used in connection with any commercial enterprise, I will take it all back. And then we will have something else to worry about.

04chicken_xl.jpg

How's the chicken? I think that may be the most important question regarding a chicken joint.

Forum List

Back