Obama capitulation to Russia, over missile defense system, A global disgrace.

52ndStreet

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2008
President Obama capitulation, with regards to the deployment of a missile defense system
in Poland , to protect Europe, is nothing short of pure capitulation to the Russia.

This decision will embolden the Russian military, and endanger western Europe.
President Obamas decision, makes the United States appear weak , and gives Russia the
impression that they can strategically plan a new area for Political influence, and control.

Last edited:
It's a smart move. Russia will now line up with the West to keep Iran under control. I don't know how China will respond though. But this gives Russia a chance to shift its position re Iran and not lose face internationally or domestically.

President Obama capitulation, with regards to the deployment of a missile defense system
in Poland , to protect Europe, is nothing short of pure capitulation to the Russia.

President Obamas decision, makes the United States appear weak , and gives Russia the
impression that they can strategically plan a new area for Political influence, and control.

Embolden the Russians to do what, exactly? They managed to smash Georgia last year, but only by applying an absurd amount of force. Even the Russian high command was alarmed by the inefficiency on display for all the world to see. Their airforce is rickety and antiquated, their navy would be best described as non-existent, except for their greatly diminished submarine fleet. The Russians are no match for anyone larger than a second rate Caucasian republic.

Politically, meanwhile, the Russians have only slightly more chance of exerting influence on Poland and the Czech Republic than they have of exerting influence on Harrisburg and Williamsport, PA.

And anyway, when did this missile base become a shield against the Russians? Wasn't it supposed to protect Europe, including Russia, against those fearsome Iranian ICBMs, which they have yet to develop?

It's a smart move. Russia will now line up with the West to keep Iran under control. I don't know how China will respond though. But this gives Russia a chance to shift its position re Iran and not lose face internationally or domestically.
I don't believe for a minute that Russia's trade with Iran and NK will change as a result of this.

And while that issue festered, there was little prospect of full Russian co-operation on sanctions against Iran and North Korea, or on the big-picture agenda of reducing nuclear weapons worldwide and establishing a stronger nuclear non-proliferation treaty.

Missile shield a trade for Russian accord

What makes you believe that Russia will cooperate on sanctions?

I don't see it linked to trade, I do see it as a chance for other powers to inhibit Iran's push for nuclear arms, not nuclear power, but arms.
Do you have any ideas other than sanctions on Iran to influence them to cease their HEU operation and/or comply with the IAEA?

(And, I will easily argue that there is no valid reason for Iran to develop HEU processing other than for weapons.)

Respectfully, I disagree. Russia would be better served if they let the Iran pot continue to boil, if not blow up completely. The tension in the region helps to drive the price of oil higher, and Russia pumps a whole lot of oil out of it's ground. The higher the price, the more they stand to make.

Last edited:
Oh no. Not this red herring again. Hello. That system doesn't work.

Why do Republicans have no faith in science, yet do in weapons systems that don't work? What is wrong with them?

Fair enough, I wasn't thinking in those terms but that's down to me focusing on one issue. I probably was only thinking superficially, looking at the medium term threat of a nuclear-armed Iran.

Are you suggesting that our proposed defense shield in Poland/CZ was intended to protect Europe and NOT the United States??

Forum List

Back