Obama, be like Harry

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
Harry S. Truman said he learned from his reading of history. From that knowledge he spoke his mind. President Barack H. Obama is the modern America liberal rationalist, he believes words and logic will convince the people and compromise will work with republicans. If the first four years demonstrated anything, it is debate is useless against ideological recalcitrance. It is past time all democrats called out the republicans for the real history of their party and their lack of accomplishments. Truman did so, a few of his words are quoted below. A bit of the real history of who got things done, and who stood in the way.

Truman Library - Public Papers of the Presidents: Harry S. Truman

"Well, I have been studying the Republican Party for over 12 years at close hand in the Capital of the United States. And by this time, I have discovered where the Republicans stand on most of the major issues.

Since they won't tell you themselves, I am going to tell you.

They approve of the American farmer-but they are willing to help him go broke.

They stand four-square for the American home--but not for housing.

They are strong for labor--but they are stronger for restricting labor's rights.

They favor a minimum wage--the smaller the minimum the better.

They indorse educational opportunity for all--but they won't spend money for teachers or for schools.

They think modern medical care and hospitals are fine--for people who can afford them.

They approve of social security benefits-so much so that they took them away from almost a million people.

They believe in international trade--so much so that they crippled our reciprocal trade program, and killed our International Wheat Agreement.

They favor the admission of displaced persons--but only within shameful racial and religious limitations.

They consider electric power a great blessing-but only when the private power companies get their rake-off.

They say TVA is wonderful--but we ought never to try it again.

They condemn "cruelly high prices"--but fight to the death every effort to bring them down.

They think the American standard of living is a fine thing--so long as it doesn't spread to all the people.

And they admire the Government of the United States so much that they would like to buy it.

Now, my friends, that is the Wall Street Republican way of life. But there is another way--there is another way--the Democratic way, the way of the Democratic Party.

Of course, the Democratic Party is not perfect. Nobody ever said it was. But the Democratic Party believes in the people. It believes in freedom and progress, and it is fighting for its beliefs right now."

Another Truman paper below.

March 29, 1952

"Mr. Chairman, Mr. Vice President, Mr. Speaker, Mr. Chairman of the Democratic Committee, distinguished guests and fellow Democrats:
I am very happy to be here tonight. This makes seven Jefferson-Jackson dinners that I have spoken to in the city of Washington. I hope to attend several more, in one capacity or another.

They have all been wonderful dinners. One of the things I like about the dinners is the fact that they are political meetings. I like political meetings, and I like politics.

Politics--good politics--is public service. There is no life or occupation in which a man can find a greater opportunity to serve his community or his country.

I have been in politics more than 30 years, and I know that nothing else could have given me greater satisfaction. I have had a career from precinct to President, and I am a little bit proud of that career.

I am sure all of you here tonight are very much interested in the presidential election this year.

In view of that fact, I thought I would give you a little analysis of the political situation as I see it.

The political situation in this country may look complicated, but you can find the key to it in a simple thing: The Republicans have been out of office for 20 long years-and they are desperate to get back in office so they can control the country again.

For 20 years the Republicans have been wandering in a political desert--like camels looking for an oasis. They don't drink the same thing that camels do, though. And if they don't find it pretty soon, the Republican Party may die out, altogether.

And you know, I would just hate to see that happen. I would like to help keep the Republican Party alive, if that is at all possible. So I am going to offer them a little advice about the error of their ways.

There are some very good reasons why the Republicans have been out of office so long and haven't been able to get back in control.

The first reason is that they were voted out in 1932 because they had brought the country to the brink of ruin.

In the 1920's the Republican administrations drew back in petrified isolation from our world responsibilities. They spent all their time trying to help the rich get richer, and paid no attention to the welfare of the workers and the farmers. All in all, they paved the way for the biggest economic smashup this country has ever seen.

That is the reason the Republicans were thrown out of office in 1932 and one of the very good reasons why they have been kept out ever since. People don't want any more "Great Depressions."

The second reason why the Republicans have been out of office for 20 years is that the Democratic Party has been giving the country good government. Instead of trying to build up the prosperity of the favored few, and letting some of it trickle down to the rest, we have been working to raise the incomes of the vast majority of the people. And we have been steadily expanding the base for prosperity and freedom in this country. The people have kept right on reelecting Democrats because we have been serving them well and they know it.

The third reason the Republicans have been kept out of power for an years is because they have never been able to agree on a sensible program to put before the country. They have been on almost every side of every question, but they have seldom or never been on the right side.

In 1936 they said the New Deal was terrible and they were against it and all its works. And in the election that fall they just lost by a landslide.

In 1940 they admitted there might be some good in some parts of the New Deal, but they said you needed a Republican to run it. And they were overwhelmingly beaten again.

In 1944 the Republicans said the New Deal might have been good in its day, but it had gotten old and tired and it was no good any more. But the people didn't agree, and the Republicans were snowed under once more.

Now in 1948 they said--well, as a matter of fact, by 1948 they were so sure of winning that they really didn't bother to take a position on anything. And they got just exactly what they deserved--they got another good licking.

And by now the Republicans can't figure out what to do. Every day you hear a new Republican theory of how to win the election of 1952.

One theory they have is that they ought to come right out and say they are against all advances the country has made since 1932.

This is the kind of dinosaur school of Republican strategy. They want to go back to prehistoric times. Republicans of this school say: "Let's stop beating about the bush--and let's say what we really believe. Let's say we're against social security--and we're against the labor unions and good wages--and we're opposed to price supports for farmers--that we're against the Government doing anything for anybody except big business."

Now, I have a lot of sympathy for these Republicans. They have been hushed up for a long time. They would certainly be happier if they could tell the truth for once and campaign for what they really believe. It would be good for their souls. But it wouldn't be good for their party, or for the country either. This dinosaur school of Republican strategy would only get the dinosaur vote--and there are not many of them left, except over at the Smithsonian."

Truman Library - Public Papers of the Presidents: Harry S. Truman

"I do not believe there is a problem in this country or the world today which could not be settled if approached through the teaching of the Sermon on the Mount." Harry S. Truman

"You know that being an American is more than a matter of where your parents came from. It is a belief that all men are created free and equal and that everyone deserves an even break." Harry S. Truman

This man just can't be like the idiot he is

they have tried to make into someone he will never be like...

who all already?
Lincoln
Reagan
now they want him to morph into Truman

show a lot of faith they have in the Man Obama eh?

Look at all the good the government has done for the Black American Family

They've managed to replace the Black Male Head of Household with government programs

Who needs a Father when you have a government?

They stand four-square for the American home--but not for housing.

They are strong for labor--but they are stronger for restricting labor's rights.

They favor a minimum wage--the smaller the minimum the better.

They indorse educational opportunity for all--but they won't spend money for teachers or for schools.

They think modern medical care and hospitals are fine--for people who can afford them.

Some things never change

my gawd, don't know who wrote that but it's some fairy tale the live in or something

and lets see, Bush was President just a mere six years ago...and if I recall Republicans has held the HOUSE now since 2010

but as we see with leftwing math that comes up to 20 years.....lol

from the article
oooooooooooooo, This is the kind of dinosaur school of Republican strategy. They want to go back to prehistoric times.

how old is this author, 12

Last edited:
The first reason is that they were voted out in 1932 because they had brought the country to the brink of ruin.

In the 1920's the Republican administrations drew back in petrified isolation from our world responsibilities. They spent all their time trying to help the rich get richer, and paid no attention to the welfare of the workers and the farmers. All in all, they paved the way for the biggest economic smashup this country has ever seen.

That is the reason the Republicans were thrown out of office in 1932 and one of the very good reasons why they have been kept out ever since. People don't want any more "Great Depressions."

60 years later, they are still the party of the 1%

Why would we want to return them to power?

They approve of the American farmer-but they are willing to help him go broke. So dems put them on welfare, even when they make a profit.

They stand four-square for the American home--but not for housing. Dems went for a housing bubble, and in 2008 the economy crashed b/c of it.

They are strong for labor--but they are stronger for restricting labor's rights. unions drove jobs out of the country

They favor a minimum wage--the smaller the minimum the better. min wage has been proven to be a failure time and time again

They indorse educational opportunity for all--but they won't spend money for teachers or for schools. inner city schools are run by libs that get more money every year yet never improve, as planned

They think modern medical care and hospitals are fine--for people who can afford them. :lol: 7 million lost their ins b/c of you and obama

They approve of social security benefits-so much so that they took them away from almost a million people. you like obama threatened to do himself?

They believe in international trade--so much so that they crippled our reciprocal trade program, and killed our International Wheat Agreement. NAFTA, clinton

They favor the admission of displaced persons--but only within shameful racial and religious limitations. so now we are supposed to break the law and let everyone in.

They consider electric power a great blessing-but only when the private power companies get their rake-off. yes, the horrors of a free market

They say TVA is wonderful--but we ought never to try it again.

They condemn "cruelly high prices"--but fight to the death every effort to bring them down. yes, we should all stand against government tyranny

They think the American standard of living is a fine thing--so long as it doesn't spread to all the people. that's just ignorant, considering dems work to keep people poor

And they admire the Government of the United States so much that they would like to buy it. pfft, dems are just as bought and paid for

Dems: The class warfare Party. Helping the rich get richer and making the poor a permanent, Dem supporting underclass even after they die

In 2011, Falls Church was named the richest county in the United States with median annual household income of $113,313. It's where the government lives

The third reason the Republicans have been kept out of power for an years is because they have never been able to agree on a sensible program to put before the country. They have been on almost every side of every question, but they have seldom or never been on the right side.

:clap2:

The housing bubble was the work of two complacent presidents and a GOP congress.

who all already?
Lincoln
Reagan

kinda like you,Rightwinger, resident troll worshipper of Reagan Crusader Retard and others try to make Reagan into something he wasnt.:cuckoo:

going into hiding mode when confronted with these facts about him.:cuckoo:

Reagan's was the most corrupt administration in the lifetime of most Americans

Before any conservative dismisses what we have to say about Reagan on this site just because we are liberals, after taking a good hard look at the record, the very conservative site Jesus-is-Savior.com/Wolves/reagan.htm came to many of the very same conclusions that we reached, i.e. ( in their own words) :
"Let us remember Reagan as he really was :

•Liar
•Thief
•Mass murderer
•Supporter of abortion
•War criminal
•
•

•Destroyer of freedom
•Traitor of the American people
•Corporate whore
•Destroyer of the environment

Ronald Reagan's Criminal Administration :
"By the end of his term, 138 Reagan administration officials had been convicted, had been indicted, or had been the subject of official investigations for official misconduct and/or criminal violations. In terms of number of officials involved, the record of his administration was the worst ever."
from p. 184,Sleep-Walking Through History: America in the Reagan Years, by Haynes Johnson, (1991, Doubleday), as are the examples below:

Last edited:

who all already?
Lincoln
Reagan

kinda like you,Rightwinger, resident troll worshipper of Reagan Crusader Retard and others try to make Reagan into something he wasnt.:cuckoo:

Yeah Gorby ran on "elect Me and I'll Dismantle the USSR Empire" Platform

Have you figured out yet that your friend JosefB is a genuine Communist?

Like clockwork,I knew the resident troll-:who has an obsession over me and Reagan the fact he replied so quickly after my post" would go into meltdown mode as always when the truth about his cousin Reagan was exposed.:lol::lol: pesky facts about the corruption of reagan are something you reaganut worshippers go into denial mode on.:D

Last edited:
Like clockwork,I knew the resident troll-:who has an obsession over me and Reagan the fact he replied so quickly after my post" would go into meltdown mode as always when the truth about his cousin Reagan was exposed.:lol::lol: pesky facts about the corruption of reagan are something you reaganut worshippers go into denial mode on.:D

You posted about me in this thread. Or did the CIA hack your account just to make it look like your obsessed with me?

Maybe Truman "learned from his reading of history" and maybe not but the fact is that the former clothing store owner that democrats hand picked when they knew FDR was dying was the least educated president in history. The fawning liberal media created the fake Truman legacy of the straight talker. The fact of the matter is that Truman was a timid little ignorant bean counter who didn't have the courage to confront the general he chose to run the Korean War. Truman's war in Korea was based on an executive order so it makes Korea Truman's war. Under his timid leadership Americans abandoned the original mission for a freaking ego trip sponsored by MacArthur. Truman didn't have the courage to stop it until Mac started making crazy threats to nuke China. Under Truman's leadership the Korean adventure cost about 50,000 American lives in three years.

Maybe Truman "learned from his reading of history" and maybe not but the fact is that the former clothing store owner that democrats hand picked when they knew FDR was dying was the least educated president in history. The fawning liberal media created the fake Truman legacy of the straight talker. The fact of the matter is that Truman was a timid little ignorant bean counter who didn't have the courage to confront the general he chose to run the Korean War. Truman's war in Korea was based on an executive order so it makes Korea Truman's war. Under his timid leadership Americans abandoned the original mission for a freaking ego trip sponsored by MacArthur. Truman didn't have the courage to stop it until Mac started making crazy threats to nuke China. Under Truman's leadership the Korean adventure cost about 50,000 American lives in three years.

Total bullshit.

Total bullshit.

Typical low information left wing argument.

Forum List

Back