Obama Arrives In Washington With Rare Status

Discussion in 'Politics' started by NATO AIR, Nov 8, 2004.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    i hope he continues his bipartisanship and moves beyond the typical democrat agenda, sort of like a democratic jc watts (remember him anybody)... watts could move beyond issues to make things happen and/or to take a personal stand, whether it was to the right or to the center

2. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I saw this guy on Meet the press yesterday, I must say for a democrat he was impressive. Mr. P predicts... if things go well for him the next 4-8 years he will be the first minority President ever elected.

3. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    i agree Mr. P

you know what? he'll do it with a republican VP, i bet

he'll realize the only way Americans will trust democrats on security and terrorism will be to have some senior republicans around in the administration, and i don't think obama would have a problem with that.

it wouldn't hurt the republicans much, and it surely would help the democrats to recover

4. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    I would agree with P as well. Too bad the Republicans couldn't convince Powell to run. I believe he would have been the first minority President ever, but reality is just that and Powell has not and will not run.

5. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,136
    I wouldnt start praising Obama yet. Im still alittle hesitant about the guy. He seems to be atleast somewhat rational for a Democrat but I think id rather see what he does in the Senate before we start saying he is going to be President. I think Ms Rice has a better shot at being President first.

6. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I agree AV...note I said "if things go well for him the next 4-8 years".

If Condi would run she may take it. Honestly right now she is the only one I could see winning over Obama. This is of course all hypothetical at the moment.

7. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    here's my one problem (actually a concern for her personally) with condi

she's not married right? the tabloids and idiots in this country would be printing so much sleaze and trash about her it would be sickening beyond anything in politics before... if they don't outright call her a lesbian or a weirdo asexual.

i like her myself, it takes balls to walk into a university student hall full of hostile students (Howard Univ. aug 2001) and take questions for over 3 hours. she won a lot of angry students over by just being herself, being strong and showing a rarely seen sense of humor. i was amazed and proud of her performance, and didya know she played piano alongside alicia keys for charity after sep. 11th? hauled over 70,000 dollars from attendees at a howard alumni meeting for sep.11th charities that day.

8. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616

Plus she is from my alma mater, DU (University of Denver not the DU we all have been banned from, current NCAA Hockey Champs!). She is an incredibly intelligent person, she got into college when she was about 12, I had to wait until after the Navy. She is one impressive person.

9. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,136
    The only one who could win over Obama? I dont believe that one second. In fact im willing to bet the fact that since the libs are so willing to promote Obama, he is probably going to turn into a weak candidate.If he is going to run for President he already made a poor choice in going to the Senate rather than running for Governor. I see no reason why the people of this country will see Obama as strong on national defense. All he seems to be so far is the traditional liberal in a less hate filled package. So what?

I could see Obama coming close to the Presidency. I think there would have to be major corruption among the Republican cadidate at the time to see it ever happen. Im hoping that never happens. Last thing we need is another liberal President. We need to make modern liberalism dead before our country is destroyed by it. Look what happened under Johnson, Carter, and Clinton. I dont have much more faith in Obama. (BTW i considered mentioning Kennedy too but i think he was alittle less liberal than the other three)

Dont worry about Obama now. If he ever runs for President, then you can think about worrying but Im still not too worried. Someone will arise to challenge him. We just have to make sure its the best man for the job.

10. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    i think you'll see him edge steadily towards the center.

as i said before, the key for the 2008 democratic candidate will be to (a) be a moderate and then (b) to have a republican VP, especially if the republicans nominate a conservative and not a moderate. i've said it once, i'll say it again, in 2008 you will see a likely civil war in both parties, with the democrats probably facing an insurgent left and the republicans facing an insurgent band of moderates. we shall see though.

i see obama running no sooner than 2012. he'll be a full fledged moderate by then and he'll win more than likely.

imagine if pres. bush wins the war on terror, it isn't that hard to believe. it could happen in the next 4 years. then the whole calculus is changed and we start looking at china and possibly france/germany as our rivals again.