Neil Cavuto On Kerry Putting The Country First

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
i'm glad cavuto can move on after the criticism he got from kerry and others about his "campaign button" crack about john kerry and osama bin laden two weeks ago. i enjoy his show when it comes on AFN News.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,137522,00.html

Putting the Country First
Wednesday, November 03, 2004
By Neil Cavuto

He could have fought it.

Yes, it's likely that he would have lost it. But he could have dragged it on and on.

He didn't.

He had plenty of lawyers with plenty of briefs. Instead, he chose to just "be" brief.

John Kerry (search) is stepping aside. His life-long quest to be president of the United States is now over. It had to hurt. But apparently Kerry felt it would hurt the country more if he didn't.

So he did. He called it quits, after race exit polls only 24 hours earlier had told him he had won handily. That had to make it doubly tough, because it's very tough when you don't get something you really want, maybe thought you really had.

I remember talking to a friend many years ago who thought he had the inside track on the chief executive job at his company. He had practically measured for drapes in his new office. But he never got those drapes, or that office, or that job. But he graciously congratulated the guy who did.

My friend never got another shot at CEO, but he got a shot at something a little more enduring: Redemption.

Whatever your political differences, say this: John Kerry didn't win the nation's top job, but he did win something pretty meaningful: respect.

Watch Neil Cavuto weekdays at 4 p.m. ET on "Your World with Cavuto" and send your comments to [email protected]

Well, O.K. - fair enough. But, I'm not in any rush to kiss John Kerry's ring. I maintain that it's just as likely that he got some prudent advice from party insiders - people who knew only too well what kind of stench was going to rise up from those Ohio provisional ballots.

musicman said:
Well, O.K. - fair enough. But, I'm not in any rush to kiss John Kerry's ring. I maintain that it's just as likely that he got some prudent advice from party insiders - people who knew only too well what kind of stench was going to rise up from those Ohio provisional ballots.

true but then you had guys like michael moore and john edwards saying "fight on!"

i'm glad he put the country first... that is a lot more than i expected from this campaign and the ABB crowd.

NATO AIR said:
true but then you had guys like michael moore and john edwards saying "fight on!"

i'm glad he put the country first... that is a lot more than i expected from this campaign and the ABB crowd.

I'd classify Edwards and Fatass as more pawns and dupes than insiders. No, I really think that the movers and shakers within the Party took the Republican invitation to examine the situation in the light of day very much to heart. There were lots of odd smells coming from this election, from the exit polls to the Clintonista judge trying to block challenges to the Dick Tracy and Mary Poppins registrations to the crack connection - and they ALL came from the left.

Ah, well - it all turned out O.K.. But I wouldn't trust those bastards to tell me what color the sky is - their track record just doesn't merit it.

musicman said:
I'd classify Edwards and Fatass as more pawns and dupes than insiders. No, I really think that the movers and shakers within the Party took the Republican invitation to examine the situation in the light of day very much to heart. There were lots of odd smells coming from this election, from the exit polls to the Clintonista judge trying to block challenges to the Dick Tracy and Mary Poppins registrations to the crack connection - and they ALL came from the left.

Ah, well - it all turned out O.K.. But I wouldn't trust those bastards to tell me what color the sky is - their track record just doesn't merit it.

true perhaps...edwards seems just way way way too much of a schemer, has managed to scare the hell out of me the last 3-4 months.

i do hope the democratic party gets fixed somehow in the next decade, we need a legitimate 2nd party (not a very liberal one though)

Sir Evil said:
I have to agree with musiman on this one when he said that it was wise advise from the camp advisers. Either way though it turned out to be a good thing for the Kerry camp, and I could appreciate the way it turned out. Too bad a big majority of the imbeciles that voted for him can't accept the defeat as graciously!:rolleyes:

Amen to all points! It was a good outcome, regardless of how or why we got there. And the truly vitriolic Dems are just helping to underline the irreconcilable differences between their view and the mainstream of America. By all means, blather on, boys and girls!

Sir Evil said:
I have to agree with musiman on this one when he said that it was wise advise from the camp advisers. Either way though it turned out to be a good thing for the Kerry camp, and I could appreciate the way it turned out. Too bad a big majority of the imbeciles that voted for him can't accept the defeat as graciously!:rolleyes:

cough--- san francisco---- cough---- seattle---- cough

oh yea my girlfriend too

Sir Evil said:
:laugh:

better not tell her what board you belong to!

ha, she has no time for this kind of debate, 12 hour shifts with FDNY EMS... she's going to end it soon anyway though, her family won't accept me, a white boy who likes george bush and can't speak good spanish to talk to them, that's persona non grata for that bunch

im not sure Kerry really put the country first. I guess ill give him the benefit of the doubt but I think he is trying to put his political career first. He knew he had no chance of winning. So he may be trying to make a future attempt. Any such attempt would lose if he had drawn it out.

im not sure Kerry really put the country first. I guess ill give him the benefit of the doubt but I think he is trying to put his political career first. He knew he had no chance of winning. So he may be trying to make a future attempt. Any such attempt would lose if he had drawn it out.

I have major doubts. I don't think he "put the country first". All his life it has been "John Kerry first". His ideology also put the "UN and world opinion first" too, not America.

I think he was just cutting his losses and making the best of it he could.

If there was any real chance at all, I'm almost positive that he would have mired America in the mud just as Al Gore did.

ScreamingEagle said:
I have major doubts. I don't think he "put the country first". All his life it has been "John Kerry first". His ideology also put the "UN and world opinion first" too, not America.

I think he was just cutting his losses and making the best of it he could.

If there was any real chance at all, I'm almost positive that he would have mired America in the mud just as Al Gore did.
I have to agree with you... His people crunched the numbers all night, they knew it wasn't going to happen for Kerry. That said I think he grabbed the last monecum of class he could muster and came out a few hours sooner than later knowing he will garner praise and sympathy from his commrades on the left. Kennedy no doubt will extol martyr status upon Kerry and he will get a pass for missing important Senate meetings and legislation.

insein said:
whatever his motives, it saved us a shitload of grief. I thank him for either being completely selfish or completely selfless. Doesnt matter to me, he did it.

It was a good outcome. We'll take it. I'm just not going to join in the rush to deify John Kerry.

Forum List

Back