NYC: Tap Water Shows Elevated Lead Levels

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Holloway and Dr. Thomas Farley, the city’s health commissioner, held a joint press conference about the slight increase in lead in the city’s water, and urged all New Yorkers to run cold water first before using it for drinking or cooking.

Guzman talked with Dr. John Rosen of Montefiore Hospital, an expert in lead poisoning among children. He said that while there’s not enough lead in water to be a problem …

“When it comes to lead, it’s always better to be safe than sorry because according to the U.S. CDC, according to the U.S. EPA, there really is no level of lead that’s safe in children,” Dr. Rosen said.

City Officials: Tap Water Shows Elevated Lead Levels CBS New York – News, Sports, Weather, Traffic and the Best of NY

While Bloomberg tackles the big health issues of the day, like salt shakers and outdoor smoking, babies are being poisoned by drinking the "healthiest" thing on the planet. :evil:

Maybe the health Nazis should try enforcing the laws that are already on the fucking books.

One more reason not to visit the tree at Rockefeller Center this year. Shame.

That's too bad.

NYC water is mighty tasty.

Wonder where the lead is coming from?

NYC's water comes from the upper Delaware river and is not polluted, I think.

The problem must be in the storage and delivery system somewhere.

If you read the article most of the lead comes from old building piping, not the distribution system. Until you reach the city the water flows in concrete aquaducts, not metal piping. Most of the mains are either concrete, iron, clay or even wood left over from 120 years ago. The lead is from interior building piping from the early 20th or late 19th century.

The instructions to let the water run for 30 seconds is a good one. once fresh water from outside the building is in the pipes there is little time for lead to seep into the water. The only real concern is pipes that have no flow for days at a time, and then are used.

Replacing the piping in the building would eliminate the issue. The samples showing the lead were building samples, not distribution/source samples.

As a disclaimer, I work in environmental Engineering, mostly wastewater, but I have designed chemical addition systems for water supplies.

Also I do agree bloomberg is a pain when it comes to some of the nanny state bullcrap.

If you read the article most of the lead comes from old building piping, not the distribution system. Until you reach the city the water flows in concrete aquaducts, not metal piping. Most of the mains are either concrete, iron, clay or even wood left over from 120 years ago. The lead is from interior building piping from the early 20th or late 19th century.

The instructions to let the water run for 30 seconds is a good one. once fresh water from outside the building is in the pipes there is little time for lead to seep into the water. The only real concern is pipes that have no flow for days at a time, and then are used.

Replacing the piping in the building would eliminate the issue. The samples showing the lead were building samples, not distribution/source samples.

As a disclaimer, I work in environmental Engineering, mostly wastewater, but I have designed chemical addition systems for water supplies.

Also I do agree bloomberg is a pain when it comes to some of the nanny state bullcrap.
Just when the building codes call for the elimination of lead piping for potable water in NYC get enacted, the Conservatives will resist because they'll see it as an infringement on their "freedom".

Just when the building codes call for the elimination of lead piping for potable water in NYC get enacted, the Conservatives will resist because they'll see it as an infringement on their "freedom".

Actually you cannot use lead anymore, these buildings are usually around 100 years old. Most water pipe is now copper or plastic. And you cannot use lead solder anymore as well.

To retrofit some of these buildings would be a major renovation, requiring moving people out for up to several weeks. Its doable, but usually codes do not grandfather items unless they are of immidiate danger to life and health.

Forum List

Back