NYC: Tap Water Shows Elevated Lead Levels

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by chanel, Nov 5, 2010.

1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    City Officials: Tap Water Shows Elevated Lead Levels CBS New York – News, Sports, Weather, Traffic and the Best of NY

While Bloomberg tackles the big health issues of the day, like salt shakers and outdoor smoking, babies are being poisoned by drinking the "healthiest" thing on the planet. :evil:

Maybe the health Nazis should try enforcing the laws that are already on the fucking books.

One more reason not to visit the tree at Rockefeller Center this year. Shame.

2. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    That's too bad.

NYC water is mighty tasty.

Wonder where the lead is coming from?

NYC's water comes from the upper Delaware river and is not polluted, I think.

The problem must be in the storage and delivery system somewhere.

3. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    Maybe all that lead in the water is the reason New Yorkers are the way they are.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,907
    If you read the article most of the lead comes from old building piping, not the distribution system. Until you reach the city the water flows in concrete aquaducts, not metal piping. Most of the mains are either concrete, iron, clay or even wood left over from 120 years ago. The lead is from interior building piping from the early 20th or late 19th century.

The instructions to let the water run for 30 seconds is a good one. once fresh water from outside the building is in the pipes there is little time for lead to seep into the water. The only real concern is pipes that have no flow for days at a time, and then are used.

Replacing the piping in the building would eliminate the issue. The samples showing the lead were building samples, not distribution/source samples.

As a disclaimer, I work in environmental Engineering, mostly wastewater, but I have designed chemical addition systems for water supplies.

Also I do agree bloomberg is a pain when it comes to some of the nanny state bullcrap.

5. Nosmo King

Nosmo King Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,298
    Just when the building codes call for the elimination of lead piping for potable water in NYC get enacted, the Conservatives will resist because they'll see it as an infringement on their "freedom".

6. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Really? Link please. I pal around with lots of conservatives and not one has endorsed poisonous water. Go figure.

7. Nosmo King

Nosmo King Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,298
    And I am the Building Inspector for my home county. Whenever a building code is proposed, it's the Conservatives in the community who resist. Go figure.

8. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,907
    Actually you cannot use lead anymore, these buildings are usually around 100 years old. Most water pipe is now copper or plastic. And you cannot use lead solder anymore as well.

To retrofit some of these buildings would be a major renovation, requiring moving people out for up to several weeks. Its doable, but usually codes do not grandfather items unless they are of immidiate danger to life and health.