NY Times coverage of Party change over; 2007 vs. 2011, about what we expect

Yeah..Obama did say he won. He did by the way. He also had mulitple meetings with Republicans. Held parties for Republicans. Put almost every Republican idea into the stimulus and health care bills.

They still didn't vote for it. They filibustered something like 275 times..a new record. They called him every nasty name in the book and the minority leader came out and said he wanted him to be a one term president. They shouted out "You Lie" in the halls of congress.

You may cheer that sort of behavior. But it bodes badly in terms of governance.

My research shows 91 filibusters. I didn't look to see how many were only done to slow things down so everyone had a chance to actually read some legislation or another. Or will you deny that legislation was passed that was never read?

Your research is a little faulty.

Critics will say that it is self-serving for Democrats to propose these reforms now, when they face a larger and more restive Republican minority. The facts of the growing procedural abuse are clearly on their side. In the last two Congressional terms, Republicans have brought 275 filibusters that Democrats have been forced to try to break. That is by far the highest number in Congressional history, and more than twice the amount in the previous two terms.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/03/opinion/03mon1.html

And many of these filibusters were done anonymously.

you had a supra majority for several months, so whats your point?

You're comparing a news article to an op-ed why? The comparison you want to make is with this article.

Good catch..I missed that.

And poor form Trajan.:lol:

theres nothing to catch. I said coverage, and I added the verbiage ala "op-ed" and "no attribution" and "news page". I did not find another article for Jan 4 in the 2007 edition.

before you hang me , or make personal asides ala 'bad form', ask first.

That's fine.

I didn't hang you..it was tongue in cheek.

But you might have used two news articles..as opposed to news vs. OpEd.

Like today's Times..

Boehner Takes Gavel in House With Pledge to Bring Change

Stephen Crowley/The New York Times
John A. Boehner, the speaker of the House, after formally being elected on the opening day of the 112th Congress on Wednesday.

By MICHAEL D. SHEAR
Published: January 5, 2011
Recommend
Twitter

The new speaker of the House, John Boehner, promised a new era of transparency in lawmaking on Wednesday, but he also pledged to aggressively push forward the conservative agenda that swept his party into power.

A roll-call vote of the chamber’s 435 members ended the way the results of November’s election determined that it would: with more votes for Mr. Boehner than for the Democratic leader, Representative Nancy Pelosi of California, making him speaker.

In remarks after taking the gavel from Ms. Pelosi, Mr. Boehner described himself as humbled, and said that the changes he envisions would restore trust to “the people’s House.”

“We will honor our Pledge to America, built through a process of listening to the people, and we will stand firm on our Constitutional principles that built our party, and built a great nation,” said Mr. Boehner, now second in line of succession to the presidency. “We will do these things, however, in a manner that restores and respects the time-honored right of the minority to an honest debate — a fair and open process.”

In the Senate, Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the Republican leader, offered an olive branch to Harry Reid of Nevada, the Democratic majority leader, saying: “Senator Reid and I get along just fine. I expect it’ll stay that way, and I look forward to working together again.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/06/us/politics/06cong.html?hp

Yeah..Obama did say he won. He did by the way. He also had mulitple meetings with Republicans. Held parties for Republicans. Put almost every Republican idea into the stimulus and health care bills.

They still didn't vote for it. They filibustered something like 275 times..a new record. They called him every nasty name in the book and the minority leader came out and said he wanted him to be a one term president. They shouted out "You Lie" in the halls of congress.

You may cheer that sort of behavior. But it bodes badly in terms of governance.

My research shows 91 filibusters. I didn't look to see how many were only done to slow things down so everyone had a chance to actually read some legislation or another. Or will you deny that legislation was passed that was never read?

Critics will say that it is self-serving for Democrats to propose these reforms now, when they face a larger and more restive Republican minority. The facts of the growing procedural abuse are clearly on their side. In the last two Congressional terms, Republicans have brought 275 filibusters that Democrats have been forced to try to break. That is by far the highest number in Congressional history, and more than twice the amount in the previous two terms.

2 terms? that would be the 110th and 111th congress.

Reid Set a Filibuster Record : Roll Call

Reid largely achieved his record in 2009, not 2010. In the first year of the session, Reid won 35 of 39 — a stunning 90 percent — of his attempts to close debate, or invoke cloture, on a variety of measures and nominations.

However, in 2010, his average dropped to 54 percent, when he won 28 cloture votes and lost 24. Sixty votes are needed to invoke cloture and kill a filibuster.

That Republicans set a record for filibusters?

Little abusive..no?

Good catch..I missed that.

And poor form Trajan.:lol:

theres nothing to catch. I said coverage, and I added the verbiage ala "op-ed" and "no attribution" and "news page". I did not find another article for Jan 4 in the 2007 edition.

That's fine.

Like today's Times..

John A. Boehner, the speaker of the House, after formally being elected on the opening day of the 112th Congress on Wednesday.

By MICHAEL D. SHEAR
Recommend
Twitter

The new speaker of the House, John Boehner, promised a new era of transparency in lawmaking on Wednesday, but he also pledged to aggressively push forward the conservative agenda that swept his party into power.

A roll-call vote of the chamber’s 435 members ended the way the results of November’s election determined that it would: with more votes for Mr. Boehner than for the Democratic leader, Representative Nancy Pelosi of California, making him speaker.

In remarks after taking the gavel from Ms. Pelosi, Mr. Boehner described himself as humbled, and said that the changes he envisions would restore trust to “the people’s House.”

“We will honor our Pledge to America, built through a process of listening to the people, and we will stand firm on our Constitutional principles that built our party, and built a great nation,” said Mr. Boehner, now second in line of succession to the presidency. “We will do these things, however, in a manner that restores and respects the time-honored right of the minority to an honest debate — a fair and open process.”

In the Senate, Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the Republican leader, offered an olive branch to Harry Reid of Nevada, the Democratic majority leader, saying: “Senator Reid and I get along just fine. I expect it’ll stay that way, and I look forward to working together again.”

today is today, yesterday was.....yesterday...jan ...4

That's fine.

Like today's Times..

By MICHAEL D. SHEAR
Recommend
Twitter

today is today, yesterday was.....yesterday...jan ...4

Okay..point taken.

That Republicans set a record for filibusters?

Little abusive..no?

they filibustered? or is that the news telling you they threatened to filibuster?

and the supra majority? makes it kind of, well, a whining game?

Forum List

Back