NY Times Correction: Tea Party members did not shout Racial Epithets @ John Lewis

PLYMCO_PILGRIM

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2009
America's Home Town
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/18/us/politics/18bai.html

The correction is at the bottom of the page on that link. They state they have no evidence to back up the claim that has been made for a long time now. This claim is that tea party protestors shouted racial epithets @ Congressman John Lewis

nytimes said:
Correction: July 25, 2010

The Political Times column last Sunday, about a generational divide over racial attitudes, erroneously linked one example of a racially charged statement to the Tea Party movement. While Tea Party supporters have been connected to a number of such statements, there is no evidence that epithets reportedly directed in March at Representative John Lewis, Democrat of Georgia, outside the Capitol, came from Tea Party members.

Is the NY Times trying to shape up a little here on their tea party coverage? Maybe.

Last edited:
Basically the correction said there's no evidence to show there were epithets shouted, but they did say other stuff.

LOL you were one min too fast friend. I need to stop using submit reply as my preview post :lol:

:lol:

At this point, if there was evidence, I'm sure it would of showed up. Did a good number of people in the crowd want to shout it? Probably.

I'm not sure why any group as disorganized as the tea party is surprised when whackjobs, racists, birthers, and all of those kind join up.

It seems like the tea party itself is at war on two fronts, and neither one involves Liberals. One involves the religious right that has taken over the GOP and similar groups such as birthers, truthers, and other whackjobs. The other front is the Republican Party who has already begun to co-opt the Tea Party into a tool to spread their talking points. The problem lies when you have a good number of tea party folk who are more than willing and happy to do so because they are the base of the GOP. They want the GOP to become more conservative, but their definition of conservative varies from person to person.

I remember the original tea party folk being the Ron Paul people, and being nothing like it is today.

Personally, I think the Tea Party grew too fast and out of control for it's own good.

Yeah...like...no more taxes or something.....that's horrible.

Federal taxes are at their lowest point in sixty years. In fact, a good number of tea party people don't even pay taxes. Those same people don't want their Social Security or Medicare touched though.

Federal taxes are at their lowest point in sixty years. In fact, a good number of tea party people don't even pay taxes. Those same people don't want their Social Security or Medicare touched though.

Hey now I pay taxes (and hate every cent of them:)) and I would LOVE to opt out of social security and medicare.

I'm just not happy that my 3% tax break under the bush tax cuts is most likely going to be gone shortly. That means I have to pay over $1000 more to the feds when it does :evil:

;)

Federal taxes are at their lowest point in sixty years.

Not at all, when you take into account that in the early part of the 1900's, only 1% of the population paid any federal income taxes.

They are low for the rich in comparison to the last 60 years but not the lowest

On the other hand for people like me they are the lowest they have been in 60 years and have been since the bush tax cuts were passed.

National Taxpayers Union - History of Federal Individual Income Bottom and Top Bracket Rates

Not at all, when you take into account that in the early part of the 1900's, only 1% of the population paid any federal income taxes.

On the other hand for people like me they are the lowest they have been in 60 years and have been since the bush tax cuts were passed.

National Taxpayers Union - History of Federal Individual Income Bottom and Top Bracket Rates

Thanks for the link. Another good one (imo) is from the Treasury dept:

U.S. Treasury - Fact Sheet on the History of the U.S. Tax System

The point I was really trying to make is that taxation is at its highest in history, collectively speaking, because in the early 1900's, only the extremely wealthy had any tax liability at the federal level. Nowadays, average joes and janes like myself are paying a relatively high tax in relation to income. I'm right above the median income, and I pay through the nose. In effect, there are people in the poverty range that could live on what I pay in federal income taxes. The primary reason for this is that I don't have children at home anymore, I don't own a business, and I don't have a big mortgage payment.

Last edited:
LOL you were one min too fast friend. I need to stop using submit reply as my preview post :lol:

At this point, if there was evidence, I'm sure it would of showed up. Did a good number of people in the crowd want to shout it? Probably.

QUOTE]

so first they're accused of saying horrific things. when that doesn't pan out, they're accused of thinking them? convenient.

"those racist tea partiers spit on me
that's awful. do you have evidence?
"well no. but i'm sure they wanted to!"

Of course we didn't pay for anything, but at least you go that tax break, too bad your children will now have to pay for our debt.

You know what the best part about this whole thing is? I have a feeling most states are like my state. They are cutting programs, laying off people, pushing for early retirement, selling property, etc. This friday most of the state agencies will not be open.
Do you hear Tea Party people talking about that? I haven't heard one Tea Party person in my state mention that. I do hear them bitching on television bitching about how we need to do all of those things.

I'm not sure why any group as disorganized as the tea party is surprised when whackjobs, racists, birthers, and all of those kind join up.

It seems like the tea party itself is at war on two fronts, and neither one involves Liberals. One involves the religious right that has taken over the GOP and similar groups such as birthers, truthers, and other whackjobs. The other front is the Republican Party who has already begun to co-opt the Tea Party into a tool to spread their talking points. The problem lies when you have a good number of tea party folk who are more than willing and happy to do so because they are the base of the GOP. They want the GOP to become more conservative, but their definition of conservative varies from person to person.

I remember the original tea party folk being the Ron Paul people, and being nothing like it is today.

Personally, I think the Tea Party grew too fast and out of control for it's own good.

They wanted to shout it? Who the fuck cares what they wanted to shout, thought is still free from government or societal interference. I know you liberals even want to take that away from us, but you are not going to live to see it, so why dream?

Of course we didn't pay for anything, but at least you go that tax break, too bad your children will now have to pay for our debt.

You know what the best part about this whole thing is? I have a feeling most states are like my state. They are cutting programs, laying off people, pushing for early retirement, selling property, etc. This friday most of the state agencies will not be open.
Do you hear Tea Party people talking about that? I haven't heard one Tea Party person in my state mention that. I do hear them bitching on television bitching about how we need to do all of those things.

Oh I hope most states are cutting back on government programs, laying off government workers, cutting government pentions, and selling government held properties :eusa_pray::eusa_pray::eusa_pray:

We need to gut the federal government. I know I know it sounds cruel to take away all these "entitlements" but i'm willing to give up all my promised entitlements such as social security, universal health care, and medicare/cade. I'd also like to see welfare made temporary just like unemployment and see unemployment go back to 28 weeks.

Yes we will still need government, i'm not dumb or crazy, but we need to get them out of the entitlement business IMO. If not then they need to make these programs solvent by cutting other areas of government such as benefits for life for congresspeople, high salaries for politicians and public servants, and giant benefits packages for government union employees.

I have many many ideas. I know many would say "cut defense spending" but to me that is truly the only charge of the federal government, to protect us from foreign threats and to keep our borders secure. Almost everything else should be a state issue.

What is this thread about again :lol:

Forum List

Back