NY Times admits it wrote FAKE story

And Trump’s admission about all of his lies? Where have they appeared?

He exaggerates, so what?

Most people do not enjoy being lied to. Your enjoying it speaks to your complete lack of character.

Most people LOVE being lied to. Religion proves that. Politics proves that.

Trump goes out and lies out of his ass, and his fans are cheering him on, demanding he do it again and again.

What people hate the most is having to cope with a reality that doesn't conform to what they want.

So, if "the truth" is inconvenient, they hate it. If it's convenient, they love it.

How hard is it to vet a story like this? These anti-Trumpers are so desperate to throw something at Trump they find anything and immediately release it to the public. News these days has a strong resemblance to chumming.

You mean stuff like “Obama wire tapped the Trump campaign?”, or maybe “Seth Rich was the WikiLeaks source of the DNC emails”.

How about referring to the press as “the enemy of the people”. Then there’s that “witch hunt” which has charged 7 Americans with multiple charges including “Conspiracy against the United States”, usually referred to colloquially as “collusion”.

Talk about daily chumming for outrage.

Most people do not enjoy being lied to. Your enjoying it speaks to your complete lack of character.

Where did I say I enjoyed it? I simply said I pay little or no attention to what someone says but I pay a whole lot of attention to what they DO.

Did you enjoy it when failed former President Barack Hussein Obama lied to you?

How hard is it to vet a story like this? These anti-Trumpers are so desperate to throw something at Trump they find anything and immediately release it to the public. News these days has a strong resemblance to chumming.

You mean stuff like “Obama wire tapped the Trump campaign?”, or maybe “Seth Rich was the WikiLeaks source of the DNC emails”.

How about referring to the press as “the enemy of the people”. Then there’s that “witch hunt” which has charged 7 Americans with multiple charges including “Conspiracy against the United States”, usually referred to colloquially as “collusion”.

Talk about daily chumming for outrage.

I feel bad for honest Democrats who believe the Trump-Russia non sense. I will feel even worse for Mueller in a short time. After he clears Trump, the Democrats will turn on him next. What a pickle he is in.

The problem, as you know, is that the story appeared with a large type headling on their front page. The statement that they lied, appeared hours later after millions of people shared or forwarded the story. The admission that they lied will have appeared on page 11-c, below the fold in small type.
`
`
1492454804812.gif
`

The problem, as you know, is that the story appeared with a large type headling on their front page. The statement that they lied, appeared hours later after millions of people shared or forwarded the story. The admission that they lied will have appeared on page 11-c, below the fold in small type.
`
`
1492454804812.gif
`

I had a friend in college who worked in a large college newspaper.

He told me about the Inverse Pyramid.

Inverted pyramid (journalism) - Wikipedia

That is actually a very poor article about it, because it leaves out the very high percentage of the readers that do not finish the article.

Thus burying important information, down the story, is hiding it from the majority of the readers.

Inverted Pyramid: Writing for Comprehension

(all the examples I'M finding are focusing on the changes caused by the Web)

"This writing style gets to the point quickly and supports all types of readers. Even those who have the time or inclination to read only a single paragraph, or even single sentence will still know what the story is about. The inverted pyramid also helps editors when they need to cut a piece at a certain length to fit a publication: if the paragraphs get less and less important as you advance in the article, the article can easily be trimmed at practically any point."

Here is a really informative picture.

F-Shaped Pattern of Reading on the Web: Misunderstood, But Still Relevant (Even on Mobile)

read_image_1900storm_third_watermark.png

The point is, that burying the important information, is not a mistake. The reporters and their editors know what they are doing.

That you laughed it off, is you being tricked. They are laughing at you, because they know they can lie to you, and if caught you will swallow their bullshit excuse.

They think you are stupid.

`
`
1492454804812.gif
`

That is actually a very poor article about it, because it leaves out the very high percentage of the readers that do not finish the article.

Thus burying important information, down the story, is hiding it from the majority of the readers.

"This writing style gets to the point quickly and supports all types of readers. Even those who have the time or inclination to read only a single paragraph, or even single sentence will still know what the story is about. The inverted pyramid also helps editors when they need to cut a piece at a certain length to fit a publication: if the paragraphs get less and less important as you advance in the article, the article can easily be trimmed at practically any point."

F-Shaped Pattern of Reading on the Web: Misunderstood, But Still Relevant (Even on Mobile)

The point is, that burying the important information, is not a mistake. The reporters and their editors know what they are doing.

That you laughed it off, is you being tricked. They are laughing at you, because they know they can lie to you, and if caught you will swallow their bullshit excuse.

I’m going to assume that Russian troll farmers are laughing to as they post their usual divisive bullshit. You’d know all about that.

`
`
1492454804812.gif
`

I’m going to assume that Russian troll farmers are laughing to as they post their usual divisive bullshit. You’d know all about that.

I made a real point about the way journalism works and is taught.

You are the one that just made a short post attacking me personally, while not addressing the topic at all.

So, who is the troll?

`
`
1492454804812.gif
`

You are the one that just made a short post attacking me personally, while not addressing the topic at all.

So, who is the troll?

You did not make a real point. You attacked the free press. Implying that their entire roll is to lie and manipulate. This isn’t true st all but it ties into the current Trump narrative of the press is the enemy of the people.

The self same thing can be said about you Russian trolls. You pretend to be contributing to the discussions. But it’s not. It’s to undermine American institutions and further destabilize the government.

Right wingers need to be constantly reminded what a danger you fucking asshats really are.

52 years old. Prime income years for a hard working male. Talks much younger though. Close to 45,000 posts in just 3 years. Right.

It's not fake news. This is what annoys me about people who shout "fake news" as soon as possible.

Yes, the news article insinuated something it shouldn't have done. But it didn't say anything that was fake.

Not only that, the NY times has come out and said it was wrong to do what it did. That's responsible journalism.

Far more responsible than half the people on here, and FAR MORE RESPONSIBLE than someone saying this is FAKE NEWS.

Haha.... wow that is dumb.
You ever hear of the phrase "lie by omission"?
This is what NYT does all the time.

THE NEW YORK TIMES

HEADLINE: " FRIGIDWEIRDO WEARS HIS MOTHERS PANTIES"
To be followed by 6 paragraphs of various comments, "some are saying..." "from what we have heard...."
To be followed by 2 more paragraphs of like stories.

and then.... way at the bottom... Frigidweirdo was not available for comment, it might be true that he only wore the same brand of undergarments as his mother.

Think about the wording of "fake news". "Fake news" isn't lying by omission. They're two different things. This is the point here.

You say it's dumb to say what I'm saying, but it's like a New Yorker saying someone from New Jersey is stupid and then being accused of racism. It's just not racism. It might not be a nice thing to do, but the label being attached is the WRONG LABEL.

Sorry, not following you.
IMO - fake news is a loose term describing how today's media purposefully seeks to misinform. This might be knowingly repeating a fabrication, knowingly taking a quote out of context, complete falsehood and then last but not least - "half truthing"...which is by far the most common. Where the media only tells the side they want to produce a false narrative.

Again, I think Denzel Washington says it best - "if you do not read a newspaper or watch the news you are uninformed, if you do, you are missinformed."
We have a true epidemic in the entire information apparatus today.
It is past time to get corporations out of the news business.

`
`
1492454804812.gif
`

So, who is the troll?

Understand what you are up against correll. These people believe that not getting caught, or if caught having some plausible deniability or a deflection point, is the important thing. You are acting as if information and knowledge matter to them.
That was a great post you put up about the inverted pyramid. Anyone with just a very basic inquisitiveness or curiosity would have found it interesting and considered it extra knowledge to help in interpreting the world.
You tried. But quit trying with liberals. Its a mental illness.

The New York Times...

The Duke University Lacrosse Case: After spiking stories which cast the players as innocent until proven guilt the Times went on a campaign to have them convicted. After being exposed the Times ombudsman apologized and said ""It was too delicious a story. It conformed too well to too many preconceived notions of too many in the press: white over black, rich over poor, athletes over non-athletes, men over women, educated over non-educated. Wow. That's a package of sins that really fit the preconceptions of a lot of us" (By "us" he means liberals. Not Americans. They live in a bubble"

2008 attacks on John McCain: While supporting McCain so long as he was attacking Republicans the NYT launched a vicious campaign against him when he ran against Barry Soweto Obama. The end result? Another apology, lawsuits, and the Times scrambling to explain why the endorsed McCain for the Republican nomination if they had compromising info on him. In the end as part of a court settlement the Times gave MCCain a full page ad to make a rebuttal.
But did you catch that part about the endorsement? The Times received no new info on McCain. They sat on the rumors they had and encouraged the GOP to nominate him. Then released the hearsay on his affairs once he had the nomination.
-
-
-
-
-
Skip dozens of examples of liberal malfeasance by the times
-
-
-
-

Most recently they hired Sarah Jeong and defended her tweets about how much she enjoyed thinking of white people dying off.

And of course the fake letter criticizing Trump.

The New York Times should be shuttered and its assets auctioned off.

It's not fake news. This is what annoys me about people who shout "fake news" as soon as possible.

Yes, the news article insinuated something it shouldn't have done. But it didn't say anything that was fake.

Not only that, the NY times has come out and said it was wrong to do what it did. That's responsible journalism.

Far more responsible than half the people on here, and FAR MORE RESPONSIBLE than someone saying this is FAKE NEWS.

Haha.... wow that is dumb.
You ever hear of the phrase "lie by omission"?
This is what NYT does all the time.

THE NEW YORK TIMES

HEADLINE: " FRIGIDWEIRDO WEARS HIS MOTHERS PANTIES"
To be followed by 6 paragraphs of various comments, "some are saying..." "from what we have heard...."
To be followed by 2 more paragraphs of like stories.

and then.... way at the bottom... Frigidweirdo was not available for comment, it might be true that he only wore the same brand of undergarments as his mother.

Think about the wording of "fake news". "Fake news" isn't lying by omission. They're two different things. This is the point here.

You say it's dumb to say what I'm saying, but it's like a New Yorker saying someone from New Jersey is stupid and then being accused of racism. It's just not racism. It might not be a nice thing to do, but the label being attached is the WRONG LABEL.

Sorry, not following you.
IMO - fake news is a loose term describing how today's media purposefully seeks to misinform. This might be knowingly repeating a fabrication, knowingly taking a quote out of context, complete falsehood and then last but not least - "half truthing"...which is by far the most common. Where the media only tells the side they want to produce a false narrative.

Again, I think Denzel Washington says it best - "if you do not read a newspaper or watch the news you are uninformed, if you do, you are missinformed."
We have a true epidemic in the entire information apparatus today.
It is past time to get corporations out of the news business.

No, fake news is news that is fake.

Oh, right, what you mean is that Trump started using the term "fake news" and you people have decided it's anything you don't agree with.

It doesn't need to be fake to be "fake news", just like you don't need to be pro-life to be "pro-life", you just need to be anti-abortion.

I get it. It's bullshit and I'm calling you out on it.

As for writing stories that are biased, that will make people who don't pay much attention think one thing rather than another, it's always happened and almost everyone does it.

The difference is that proper journalistic media will retract. You get things like right wing "news" websites that write complete and utter trash, and they'll never retract what they wrote. They don't care.

If you think the issue here is the media, then you've been blinded by misinformation yourself.

The issue is with the government. How the government is elected is a massive problem because FPTP is negative voting and it leads to two political parties who control everything.

The newspapers take sides because partisanship has taken over the whole country. You're either Republican or Democrat now. There are people who ignore this, but the newspapers are now just trying to convince these people to go their way. There's no point in being unbiased.

You have a political system that favors the Republicans. You have Republicans playing dirty with gerrymandering, not allowing Supreme Court justice picks. With the Koch brothers getting the Supreme Court to allow infinite money in the political system. If you don't fight back, then you'll lose every single time.

So the right can't complain, they're as much a part of the problem of "fake news" as the left.

`
`
1492454804812.gif
`

So, who is the troll?

You did not make a real point. You attacked the free press. Implying that their entire roll is to lie and manipulate. This isn’t true st all but it ties into the current Trump narrative of the press is the enemy of the people.

My point about the Inverse Pyramid is true. That they buried the important fact that this was ordered under Obama, down in paragraph six, especially considering the use of the photo of the current ambassador, is proof that in this case, they lying and manipulating.

YOu did not address that.

They are lying to the people. Thus considering them the enemy of the people, is not unreasonable.

And I am not attacking the idea of the Free Press, I am holding them accountable for their abuse of their power.

The self same thing can be said about you Russian trolls. You pretend to be contributing to the discussions. But it’s not. It’s to undermine American institutions and further destabilize the government.

Shove your divisive "russian troll" shit up your ass. I am the one discussing the topic, and you are doing nothing but attacking me personally.

You are the one being divisive.

Right wingers need to be constantly reminded what a danger you fucking asshats really are.

52 years old. Prime income years for a hard working male. Talks much younger though. Close to 45,000 posts in just 3 years. Right.

All I want is for my interests to be represented in national policies, in the context of overall improvements for the nation as a whole.

If you consider that dangerous, then you need to ask yourself why.

NOt sure what you are trying to say about me, nor do I care. If I wanted to talk about myself, I would be on a different forum, more of a social one.

`
`
1492454804812.gif
`

So, who is the troll?

Understand what you are up against correll. These people believe that not getting caught, or if caught having some plausible deniability or a deflection point, is the important thing. You are acting as if information and knowledge matter to them.
That was a great post you put up about the inverted pyramid. Anyone with just a very basic inquisitiveness or curiosity would have found it interesting and considered it extra knowledge to help in interpreting the world.
You tried. But quit trying with liberals. Its a mental illness.

I hope that at some level, their lying and being such assholes, bothers them.

And if not, that their vile behavior, if successfully called out, will disgust others who will turn from that dark path.

I hope that at some level, their lying and being such assholes, bothers them.

No. Watch the posts. They revel in the sophistry, the simplistic deflections, the whataboutism, the spelling error... You arent dealing with people who dont know better nor less educated people acting in good faith. You are dealing with people with no souls. You are dealing with the very ones who produced this...

shooter.jpg

...and then tried to use it for political gain.

And if not, that their vile behavior, if successfully called out, will disgust others who will turn from that dark path.

You are quite successful there. I had never heard of the "inverted pyramid". New knowledge to use and anyone with a basic curiosity about how things work will thank you.

`
`
1492454804812.gif
`

And windparadox weighs in with another thoughtful post.

`
`
1492454804812.gif
`

Specifically, what did I post which is not true and is funny?

Specifically, what did Russia have to do with the New York Times publishing a FAKE NEWS article? The senseless article is about drapes ordered during the failed administration of former President Barack Hussein Obama and implying that Nikki Haley was responsible. What need did the article serve?

Forum List

Back