NY/Fed gov't going after Jeter 3,000 ball catching fan for TAXES on his free tickets!

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
Companies line up to help New York Yankees fan Christian Lopez - ESPN New York

That didn't take lone. The NYC, state and fed gov't jumped on board this train didn't they? They guy makes one of the most unselfish moves in sports history by giving a historic baseball back to the guy who set a record, a ball he could've sold for up to $500,000, for FREE in exchange for simply meeting the player and getting a signed baseball. The team then rewarded his unselfishness with a couple bats, jerseys and free tickets for the rest of the season.

And now, here come the government thugs. "Mmmmmmmmm......TAXABLE ITEMS!!" Their thirst for tax money has no end. They say this fan could end up owing over $15,000 to the government for his good deed. Amazing.

Luckily, several PRIVATE COMPANIES (Yes, those evil, greedy, rich companies) are volunteering to pay this guys tax bills for him since he's a 23 year old student who doesn't have much money.

Just amazing. Start a lemonade stand? Have a bake sale? Catch a historic baseball? Big Papa Government is gonna come for ya.

Maybe in his next speech, Obama can demonize these corporate guys for flying in on their jets to help this kid.........

humm so if someone says he could have gotten say 250K for the ball at an auction yet he gave it up for lesser value does he get the lower valuation as a basis for the tax? did the irs calculate what the box, jersey and signed ball cost? and split the difference, and the memorabilia market is fickle.

what if jeter gets involved in some unsavory Rose like issue ? the value of the ball would certainly drop, so until the sale is made, how can they have a cost basis?

it seems to me the only taxable items are the signed ball, the box and jersey. and the jersey again has a floating value, as does the ball, the box has a set price, so I see that.......some quick googling shows that In NY the gift tax kicks in on the giver at 12k a year, ONLY if the giver has provided over a million in gifts over a lifetime.

so what framework are they using to tax this kid?

Funny how lefty looters aren't all up in arms about this particular example of unvarnished greed and using the little guy as a door mat.

And why exactly should anybody be up in arms about it? The kid is an idiot. He wasn't forced to accept the gifts. Homeboy coulda done what any rational person would have done and that's sell the damn ball and this wouldn't be a problem.

humm so if someone says he could have gotten say 250K for the ball at an auction yet he gave it up for lesser value does he get the lower valuation as a basis for the tax? did the irs calculate what the box, jersey and signed ball cost? and split the difference, and the memorabilia market is fickle.

what if jeter gets involved in some unsavory Rose like issue ? the value of the ball would certainly drop, so until the sale is made, how can they have a cost basis?

it seems to me the only taxable items are the signed ball, the box and jersey. and the jersey again has a floating value, as does the ball, the box has a set price, so I see that.......some quick googling shows that In NY the gift tax kicks in on the giver at 12k a year, ONLY if the giver has provided over a million in gifts over a lifetime.

so what framework are they using to tax this kid?

You are forgetting the season tickets for the rest of the year. Wait... I think when you said "box" you meant the tix.

To the last part, who is the giver? Jeter? The Yankees?

I thought the box was in effect his seat?

and good question, I suspect the Yankees are, but don't know.

Yeah, it is....I realized after I posted it and edited that in.

If it's the Yankees, I'm thinking it's likely they qualify for the 12k/1mil prereq.

Funny how lefty looters aren't all up in arms about this particular example of unvarnished greed and using the little guy as a door mat.

Par for the course, I know I'm preaching to the choir on this, oddball. But how much clearer could it have been when in New London they supported government taking force by land from average private citizens and giving it to a greedy developer who was going to pay more in taxes? Government power is the objective and money is the gasoline that powers the engine. Every day Democrats think of more taxes and more ways to get them and no price is too high to pay to get it.

NY/Fed gov't going after Jeter 3,000 ball catching fan for TAXES on his free tickets!

The fan is a class act. America needs more people like him.

0204-blagojevich-faces-new-charges.jpg_full_600.jpg

You had this thing...and it was fucking golden and you just gave that shit away?! Son, I am disappoint.

And why exactly should anybody be up in arms about it? The kid is an idiot. He wasn't forced to accept the gifts. Homeboy coulda done what any rational person would have done and that's sell the damn ball and this wouldn't be a problem.
They were gifts...Not sought after income.

The guy commits one of these selfless acts that all you liberoidals seem to hold as a higher value than going for the filthy dirty profit, and still you're not satisfied to let someone get even the most token reward for it, without getting your shakedown.

Fucking pathetic.

Huh, everything about this story seems like speculative nonsense? Someone was consulted over taxes, why, how where who, huh, this is truly a nation of MORANS as the moron wrote.

There's no speculation that the Yankees fan in question gave the ball back, with no expectation of compensation.

There's also no speculation that the blood sucking, greedy bureaucratic vampires of NY state couldn't wait to sink their teeth into the neck of that young gentleman.

Forum List

Back