Nuke power plant safety shuffle.

Which is why your ability is so limited. Your statement only proves your inability to adequatetly deal with what is dumped in your lap, rather than learn from mistake and adapt. Your interest seems more in finding excuses rather than solutions. Really big confidence builder there Sparky. ;) Tell us again why we should entrust our well being and very lives to the likes of you??? Coulda-woulda-shoulda, do nothing defense, again and again. What do yor excuses improve again. Let's try to keep up with the line of cause and effect, learning from our mistakes and doing something about what we learn, rather than defending bullshit?

You haven't "dumped" anything into my lap, except for a bunch of platitudes, falsehoods, and chicken-little nonsense. It is impossible for an intelligent and knowledgeable person to engage in a debate with you.

You are nothing more than a know-nothing, namecalling playground bully who needs to STAY IN YOUR OWN LANE.

Hurry along and go find a Disney Channel forum, where you can be amongst those with the same mentality and knowledge level as you. Say hi to Mickey and Pluto for me. My grandkids love those two.

Which is why your ability is so limited. Your statement only proves your inability to adequatetly deal with what is dumped in your lap, rather than learn from mistake and adapt. Your interest seems more in finding excuses rather than solutions. Really big confidence builder there Sparky. ;) Tell us again why we should entrust our well being and very lives to the likes of you??? Coulda-woulda-shoulda, do nothing defense, again and again. What do yor excuses improve again. Let's try to keep up with the line of cause and effect, learning from our mistakes and doing something about what we learn, rather than defending bullshit?

You haven't "dumped" anything into my lap, except for a bunch of platitudes, falsehoods, and chicken-little nonsense. It is impossible for an intelligent and knowledgeable person to engage in a debate with you.

You are nothing more than a know-nothing, namecalling playground bully who needs to STAY IN YOUR OWN LANE.

Hurry along and go find a Disney Channel forum, where you can be amongst those with the same mentality and knowledge level as you. Say hi to Mickey and Pluto for me. My grandkids love those two.

Who died and made you God, in your mind, anyway?
Fuck You and the horse you rode in on, you worthless piece of shit. I bet you hear about platitudes, falsehoods, and chicken-little nonsense allot, being that you are fed so much of them all day long. Your people skills are lacking, that is why intelligent debate is so hard for you. Intelligence and knowledge seem more like empty cartridges in your arsenal, Cabin Boy. Big words for you though, I must say that I am impressed.

I'm impressed that you are such an authority on what You think I know, again your problem, not mine. Playground bully? You need to check your premise. Name calling? Try reading your own posts. ;) Stay in my own lane? Are you one of those old timers that do 15mph in a 30mph and hog the road or drive in the left lane on the Interstate, at 45mph because of the fond memories it brought you 50 years ago? Let me guess, you drive a 75 Cadillac, and sit on a big fat phone book so you can both reach the steering wheel and see out of the windshield? Fuck, I thought I saw you causing a traffic jam the other day, you need to work on those parallel parking skills old timer, and try to change those depends more regularly, I make that suggestion purely on humanitarian grounds. Daily hygiene is important not only for ourselves and those around us, but the environment too.

You have an obsession for the Disney channel too? OMG? You want to make time with Pluto and Mickey? Too much information for me. Stop right there. I have no interest in your fantasies, be it your obsession with cartoon characters or your defense of Nuclear Incident cover ups.

Again, my reason for being here is concern for the Nuclear Industry and it's responsibility to Us, We The People. Your Personal Attacks will not keep me from posting on the subject matter. Feel free to address me in PM format. I will respond in kind. My being here is not about having a pissing contest with you. It is about posting relevant information. We obviously do not share the same perspective or concerns. I am entitled to my own, you need to come to terms with that.

More platitudes, falsehoods, and chicken-little nonsense. ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3oMEqU1oAY&feature=related]‪Fukushima Radiation Contamination of North America THE TRUTH is BABIES are DYING!‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]
Fukushima Radiation Contamination of North America THE TRUTH is BABIES are DYING.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9pPvJMmTzE&feature=related]‪Radiation Poisoning Fire at Flooded Nebraska Nuke Plant Leads to Level 4 Emergency‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]
Radiation Poisoning Fire at Flooded Nebraska Nuke Plant Leads to Level 4 Emergency. 6-16-11

‪Fukushima Radiation Contamination of North America THE TRUTH is BABIES are DYING!‬‏ - YouTube
Fukushima Radiation Contamination of North America THE TRUTH is BABIES are DYING.

‪Radiation Poisoning Fire at Flooded Nebraska Nuke Plant Leads to Level 4 Emergency‬‏ - YouTube
Radiation Poisoning Fire at Flooded Nebraska Nuke Plant Leads to Level 4 Emergency. 6-16-11

From Scientific American on the babies dying from Fukishima. The report was based on flawed analysis of infant mortality data.

Observations: Are Babies Dying in the Pacific Northwest Due to Fukushima? A Look at the Numbers

For the nebraska plant the fire was in a pumping system for cooling water going to the spent fuel pool. The pump was off for a grand total of 90 minutes, leading to a 2 degree increase in the fuel pool. Boiling would not have occured for another 4 days, and in this case they chose to repair the electrical feed to main pump system instead of using one of several backup systems, because they had plenty of time to do the work. The backup system was on hot standby and ready to work if needed.

Electrical Fire Knocks Out Spent Fuel Cooling at Nebraska Nuclear Plant: Scientific American

By all means be skeptical of Nuclear Power safety, but please be more selective in the sources you use for information. Youtube is not exactly a verifiable source, any idiot can put something up.

‪Fukushima Radiation Contamination of North America THE TRUTH is BABIES are DYING!‬‏ - YouTube

‪Radiation Poisoning Fire at Flooded Nebraska Nuke Plant Leads to Level 4 Emergency‬‏ - YouTube

From Scientific American on the babies dying from Fukishima. The report was based on flawed analysis of infant mortality data.

Observations: Are Babies Dying in the Pacific Northwest Due to Fukushima? A Look at the Numbers

For the nebraska plant the fire was in a pumping system for cooling water going to the spent fuel pool. The pump was off for a grand total of 90 minutes, leading to a 2 degree increase in the fuel pool. Boiling would not have occured for another 4 days, and in this case they chose to repair the electrical feed to main pump system instead of using one of several backup systems, because they had plenty of time to do the work. The backup system was on hot standby and ready to work if needed.

Electrical Fire Knocks Out Spent Fuel Cooling at Nebraska Nuclear Plant: Scientific American

By all means be skeptical of Nuclear Power safety, but please be more selective in the sources you use for information. Youtube is not exactly a verifiable source, any idiot can put something up.

. . . the number of children and grandchildren with cancer in their bones, with leukemia in their blood, or with poison in their lungs might seem statistically small to some, in comparison with natural health hazards, but this is not a natural health hazard--and it is not a statistical issue. The loss of even one human life, or the malformation of even one baby--who may be born long after we are gone--should be of concern to us all. Our children and grandchildren are not merely statistics toward which we can be indifferent.
-- President Kennedy, June, 1963

Dr. Rosalie Bertell: 16 Million Radiation Deaths and Counting, 1989

http://peacehq.tripod.com/OSHN/docs/hn-doc0020.rtf

From Scientific American on the babies dying from Fukishima. The report was based on flawed analysis of infant mortality data. Conceded. Still, to deny that there is any effect on health is beyond reason.

I understand that. My concern is partly about attitude, preparedness, and ability to recognize and adapt to reasonable demand, made apparent by circumstance. For example Nuclear Power Plant, Earthen Damn, and Sand Bag, should never be found in the same paragraph, let alone, the same sentence. Not even up for debate. Rather than justify, why not fix the problem there? Why is that concept so unreasonable and offensive to some? There is really no excuse for those plants to be flooded out regardless of what goes on outside of them. That is my point. Either you have your shit together regarding Plant Safety and Contingency, or you don't. Coulda-woulda-shoulda is not a defense. We seem to have serious problems with flood control across the Continent, in general. Why do you think that is? All the money we throw away everyday, yet Infrastructure get's short changed every time.

YouTube is not the problem. With Free Speech, one learns to take the good with the bad, and sift. ;) Point taken though. ;) Ran out of time last night sorting through dozens of leads and went with what I had.

There is allot of bullshit out there on both sides, I'm sure you know. There are plenty of pitfalls, blinds, and dead end alley's to go around. The point here is that No source is beyond reproach. That is why we question.

NRC Urged to Set Rules Replacing Severe-Accident Guidelines
Q
By Brian Wingfield - Jul 19, 2011 1:50 PM ET

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission should substitute government requirements for voluntary industry measures to cope with severe power-plant accidents, the head of a task force studying U.S. reactor safety said.

Expanding the rules “is warranted” because the agency doesn’t check company guidelines, which vary among operators, Charles Miller, the official in charge of the review, said today at a commission meeting in Rockville, Maryland.

U.S. regulators should adopt a framework that may require reactor owners to bolster safety measures, the panel created after the Japan crisis said in a July 13 report. The agency should quickly consider which proposals to advance as new rules, Chairman Gregory Jaczko said.

“We have 12 very solid recommendations and I think the simplest thing is for the commission to act on those within 90 days,” Jaczko said.

The NRC task force reviewed safety at the nation’s 104 commercial nuclear reactors after meltdowns at Tokyo Electric Power Co.’s Fukushima Dai-Ichi plant in Japan. An earthquake and tsunami on March 11 triggered the worst nuclear catastrophe in 25 years, with a loss of electric power leading to hydrogen explosions and radiation leaks at the plant about 135 miles (217 kilometers) north of Tokyo.

Jaczko said he would support a recommendation from the task force to increase the amount of back-up power at U.S. reactors used when the plant loses electricity.

NRC Urged to Set Rules Replacing Severe-Accident Guidelines - Bloomberg

Marty, there's not much you can say or do when dealing with the anti-nuke waterheads. They don't want to know the FACTS. They don't want to know the SCIENCE. They don't want to know the TRUTH. All they want to do is engage in cheezy scare tactics and junk science. These idiots will be the FIRST ones to bitch and complain when they no longer have electricity and their PlayStation3 becomes a doorstop.

fort-calhoun-nuclear-station.top.jpg

;)

images

;)

images

;)

nukeneb.jpg

;)

In both pictures both have most major structures above even the top level of the water. using thier own generators, which appear to be above water, they could provide enough cooling to allow for a cold shutdown of the reactor. also considering river flooding is predictable (unlike a 48 foot high tsunami) appropriate measures can be taken to take the plant offline and safe it. Given even a few days warning additional reasources can be staged to provide even further levels of cooling.

Also as a response to your last picture:

work.4555154.1.sticker,375x360.this-looks-shopped-v1.png

I worked at the Ft. Calhoun Nuke Plant in the early 90s. I can assure you that the plant was in COLD SHUTDOWN before the floodwaters got anywhere near to where they are in the pictures, which by the way were taken back in JUNE.

The Missouri River is narrow and deep in the area where Ft. Calhoun is located. Any and all "disaster" scenarios are taken into account when the emergency plan is reviewed and approved by the NRC and local and state governments.

Instead of providing RECENT pictures of the Ft. Calhoun nuke plant, which would show that the floodwaters have receded, the anti-nuke pukes in here make cute little cartoons instead. Typical grade school bully nonsense.

I worked at the Ft. Calhoun Nuke Plant in the early 90s. I can assure you that the plant was in COLD SHUTDOWN before the floodwaters got anywhere near to where they are in the pictures, which by the way were taken back in JUNE.

A LUCKY COINCIDENCE REGARDING THE FLOODING. And if the flood was just a few feet higher, you would STILL have significant contamination.

The Missouri River is narrow and deep in the area where Ft. Calhoun is located. Any and all "disaster" scenarios are taken into account when the emergency plan is reviewed and approved by the NRC and local and state governments.

Incorrect, as the recent flooding was deemed by all official monitors as UNPRECEDENTED in it's volume.

Instead of providing RECENT pictures of the Ft. Calhoun nuke plant, which would show that the floodwaters have receded, the anti-nuke pukes in here make cute little cartoons instead. Typical grade school bully nonsense.

Instead of just acknowledging the FACT that it was SHEER LUCK that Mother Nature didn't decide to go a few feet more, nuke wonks and toadies just keep harping on ONE part of the story. The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth!

A LUCKY COINCIDENCE REGARDING THE FLOODING. And if the flood was just a few feet higher, you would STILL have significant contamination.

Incorrect, as the recent flooding was deemed by all official monitors as UNPRECEDENTED in it's volume.

Instead of just acknowledging the FACT that it was SHEER LUCK that Mother Nature didn't decide to go a few feet more, nuke wonks and toadies just keep harping on ONE part of the story. The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth!

They had additonal contingency plans in place to handle a few more feet of water. From the added berms, to sealing the buildings there were multiple paths they could have taken to address any other issues. Again, the main thing is the flooding was anticipated, so even the online reactor was brought to shutdown, and they had days to enact the critical cooling that is needed in the 2-4 days after a hard shutdown. Fukishima didnt have that. No warning, no cooldown period, and instead of a gradual rise of a river, it had a 48 foot high wall of water hit it.

Again you deflect from the safety issue which is the flooding. What matter is it when the pictures were taken, the point being to show the extent of the damage? You black out the News Access, Restrict Air Traffic, and then say where is the proof. Pretty pathetic. The NRC is not an open book retard. Neither are you.

You want to post pictures of the flood water receded, do it moron. Nobody is stopping you. Nobody is claiming that these pictures are current either. They are too well known for anyone but an idiot like you to to think otherwise.

The point of the pictures ass wipe, it to show the extent of the damage and threat. Poor deflection. You could not be more full of shit or disingenuous.

My position is if it is broke fix it, stop with the bullshit excuses and obstruction. The fact that you do not see the problem and so adamantly deny real concerns leads me to wonder if everyone in the industry is as blind and dangerous as you. If that was the case, I would advocate that every plant be shut down, and you all face prosecution. That however is not the case. Maybe you should spend more time playing with your little engine that could, and stop wasting all the grown up's time.

Again you deflect from the safety issue which is the flooding. What matter is it when the pictures were taken, the point being to show the extent of the damage? You black out the News Access, Restrict Air Traffic, and then say where is the proof. Pretty pathetic. The NRC is not an open book retard. Neither are you.

You want to post pictures of the flood water receded, do it moron. Nobody is stopping you. Nobody is claiming that these pictures are current either. They are too well known for anyone but an idiot like you to to think otherwise.

The point of the pictures ass wipe, it to show the extent of the damage and threat. Poor deflection. You could not be more full of shit or disingenuous.

My position is if it is broke fix it, stop with the bullshit excuses and obstruction. The fact that you do not see the problem and so adamantly deny real concerns leads me to wonder if everyone in the industry is as blind and dangerous as you. If that was the case, I would advocate that every plant be shut down, and you all face prosecution. That however is not the case. Maybe you should spend more time playing with your little engine that could, and stop wasting all the grown up's time.

Oooh, you must be REALLY mad at me. Rolling out the namecalling and playing the playground bully again. Are you frothing at the mouth, too? Are you going to try and steal my lunch money, "Biff"?

You don't know what you are talking about, and I am not going to explain the inner workings of a nuclear power plant to you, because:

1. You won't understand any of it.
2. Your mind is a closed trap door. The porch light is off, and nobody is home.
3. Your pathological insistence on perfection and 100% infallibility is part of your mental illness. I hope you seek treatment soon.
4. I would rather explain the "floorplan" and "landscape" of the Ft. Calhoun Nuke Power Plant facility to my German Shepherd dog, because her IQ is at least quadruple what yours is.

The only thing I am wondering is if you are "off the grid", since you seem to have deep-rooted problems with the "entities" that provide electricity to your 12x60 house trailer. Just about all of the electricity produced in the USA is from coal-fired power plants and nuclear power plants.

So, do you have solar panels on your roof? Perhaps a home wind turbine? Maybe a few 12 volt batteries and a little power inverter?

:blowup:

Oooh, you must be REALLY mad at me. Rolling out the namecalling and playing the playground bully again. Are you frothing at the mouth, too? Are you going to try and steal my lunch money, "Biff"?

You don't know what you are talking about, and I am not going to explain the inner workings of a nuclear power plant to you, because:

1. You won't understand any of it.
2. Your mind is a closed trap door. The porch light is off, and nobody is home.
3. Your pathological insistence on perfection and 100% infallibility is part of your mental illness. I hope you seek treatment soon.
4. I would rather explain the "floorplan" and "landscape" of the Ft. Calhoun Nuke Power Plant facility to my German Shepherd dog, because her IQ is at least quadruple what yours is.

The only thing I am wondering is if you are "off the grid", since you seem to have deep-rooted problems with the "entities" that provide electricity to your 12x60 house trailer. Just about all of the electricity produced in the USA is from coal-fired power plants and nuclear power plants.

So, do you have solar panels on your roof? Perhaps a home wind turbine? Maybe a few 12 volt batteries and a little power inverter?

:blowup:

Dear Spineless, I can't be your fantasy anymore, my concern is that your obsession is unhealthy for you, as well as those around you. Find Another. :) You can't have me, you can't be me.
Most people would be able to distinguish between known and unknown vulnerabilities, Einstein. Hint, when the obvious becomes known, reason dictates contingency and preparedness. I understand that is beyond you, I just wonder why the deficiency was not caught in your profile evaluation. Most people again learn from short comings and mistakes. Unfortunately not all. One time for a plant to go under water like that is not excusable, but it is forgivable. For it to happen again, there is no excuse. That is my whole point. You need to grow up, soon. Flood Damage, be it, fresh water, sewage contaminated, or slat water is destructive. You can bullshit yourself all you want with your perspective and credentials, all you want, you are only fooling yourself.

Given this reality, the United States must take concrete steps now to address serious shortcomings in nuclear plant safety and security that have been evident for years. No technology can be made perfectly safe, but the United States can and must do more to guard against accidents as well as the threat of terrorist attacks on reactors and spent fuel pools.

The report outlines and explains 23 specific recommendations, listed below.

= Key recommendation that the NRC should make a top priority.
Preventing and Mitigating the Effects of Severe Accidents

Extend the scope of regulations to include the prevention and mitigation of severe accidents.

Require reactor owners to develop and test emergency procedures for situations when no AC or DC power is available for an extended period.

Modify emergency planning requirements to ensure that everyone at significant risk from a severe accident--not just the people within the arbitrary 10-mile planning zone--is protected.
Improving the Safety and Security of Spent Fuel

The NRC should require plant owners to move spent fuel at reactor sites from storage pools to dry casks when it has cooled enough to do so.

The NRC should require reactor owners to improve the security of existing dry cask storage facilities.

The NRC should require plant owners to significantly improve emergency procedures and operator training for spent fuel pool accidents
Making Existing Reactors Safer

The NRC should enforce its fire protection regulations and compel the owners of more than three dozen reactors to comply with regulations they currently violate.

The NRC should establish timeliness goals for resolving safety issues while continuing to meet its timeliness goals for business-related requests from reactor owners.

The NRC should treat generic and unique safety issues alike. Until a generic issue is resolved, the NRC should account for it as a potential risk factor in its safety analyses and decisionmaking related to all affected reactors.

The NRC should require plant owners to use multiple inspection techniques to ensure detection of any degradation in aging, high-risk equipment.

The NRC should require plant owners to periodically inspect equipment outside the scope of normal inspections, both to determine whether that scope is appropriate and to detect problems before safety margins are compromised.

The NRC should revise its regulations for the licensing of "high burn-up" fuel to ensure public safety, and restrict how this fuel is used until the revisions are complete.

The U.S. government should prohibit the use of plutonium-bearing mixed-oxide (MOX) fuel in reactors, and end the program to produce MOX fuel from excess weapons plutonium.
Ensuring the Continued Safety of Reactors with Renewed Licenses

Before granting a license renewal, the NRC should review all differences between current regulations and any past decisions specific to the aging reactor, to confirm that these differences will not compromise public safety going forward.
Making Existing Reactors More Secure against Terrorist Attacks

The NRC should revise its assumptions about terrorists' capabilities to ensure nuclear plants are adequately protected against credible threats, and these assumptions should be reviewed by U.S. intelligence agencies.

The NRC should modify the way it judges force-on-force security exercises by assessing a plant's "margin to failure," rather than whether the plant merely passes or fails.

The U.S. government should establish a program for licensing private security guards that would require successful completion of a federally supervised training course and periodic recertification.
Making New Reactors More Secure against Terrrorist Attacks

The NRC should require new reactor designs to be safer than existing reactors.

The NRC should require new reactor designs to be more secure against land- and water-based terrorist attacks.
Improving the NRC's Cost-Benefit and Risk-Informed Analyses

The NRC should increase the value it assigns to a human life in its cost-benefit analyses so the value is consistent with other government agencies.

The NRC should require plant owners to calculcate the risk of fuel damage in spent fuel pools as well as reactor cores in all safety analyses.

The NRC should not make decisions about reactor safety using probabilistic risk assessments (PRAs) until it has corrected its flawed application of this tool.
Ensuring Public Participation

The NRC should fully restore the public's right to obtain information and question witnesses in hearings about changes to existing power plant licenses and applications for new licenses.
Last Revised: 07/14/11
UCS Nuclear Power Safety & Security Recommendations | Union of Concerned Scientists

They had additonal contingency plans in place to handle a few more feet of water. From the added berms, to sealing the buildings there were multiple paths they could have taken to address any other issues. Again, the main thing is the flooding was anticipated, so even the online reactor was brought to shutdown, and they had days to enact the critical cooling that is needed in the 2-4 days after a hard shutdown. Fukishima didnt have that. No warning, no cooldown period, and instead of a gradual rise of a river, it had a 48 foot high wall of water hit it.

We're not talking about Fukishima, Marty Boy......AGAIN, THE UPRECEDENTED FLOOD WATERS WERE NOT PART OF THE CONTINGENCY PLAN. AGAIN, HAD THE WATER GONE A FEW MORE FEET, AFTER THE BERM WALL BROKE, THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN SERIOUS TROUBLE DESPITE THE COINCIDENTAL COLD SHUTDOWN.

By the Grace of God, Marty Boy.....and God doesn't give a damn about your contingency plans. Grow the hell up and deal with it.

We're not talking about Fukishima, Marty Boy......AGAIN, THE UPRECEDENTED FLOOD WATERS WERE NOT PART OF THE CONTINGENCY PLAN. AGAIN, HAD THE WATER GONE A FEW MORE FEET, AFTER THE BERM WALL BROKE, THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN SERIOUS TROUBLE DESPITE THE COINCIDENTAL COLD SHUTDOWN.

By the Grace of God, Marty Boy.....and God doesn't give a damn about your contingency plans. Grow the hell up and deal with it.

Given the depth of the water was a serious factor, so was the amount of time it just sat there.

Please look at the two words you used. UPRECEDENTED and CONTINGENCY? How does one make up contingency plans? One goes on PRECEDENT. We don't require nuke plants to withstand a metor hit, although techincally there is a chance of just that. When figuring out the risk, you have to go with what is feasible to a given risk factor. A contingency plan is based on what you think can happen with a reasonable chance. And thier contigency plan covered flooding. And it was implemented, and it worked.

And even if the water kept rising, and the building was breached, at that point they had plenty of water around to use fo cooling, basically take gas powered trash pumps and use the river water. It might have ruined the reactor but it would have kept it cool.

Also even if the plant wasn't shut down due to maintenance, they would have shut it when they determined the river was going to flood. once shut down all you have to do is keep it cool. and guess what you had plenty of lying around. WATER.

Forum List

Back