Notify Your Representative

Discussion in 'Congress' started by Skull Pilot, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,052
    https://secure2.convio.net/cagw/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=605

The House of Representatives is scheduled to vote this Friday on the American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009 -- “cap-and-trade” energy legislation that aims to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by giving the federal government the power to limit the amount of oil, gasoline, coal, and other fossil fuels used by American utilities and industry.
    In reality, this cap-and-trade plan is nothing more than a hidden tax that The Heritage Foundation has estimated could increase the average American family’s energy bill by $1,500 annually!

If you haven't already done so, I urge you in the strongest terms possible to tell your U.S. Representative to vote NO on the American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009.

Introduced by Reps. Henry Waxman (D-Calif.) and Edward Markey (D-Mass.), the so-called Waxman-Markey bill will place a severe regulatory burden on American businesses, which will increase their costs and reduce their competitiveness, hurting our nation’s economy.

These higher operating costs for utilities, oil companies, and industry will ultimately trickle down to individual Americans, and you and I will pay an estimated 74 percent more for gasoline, 90 percent more for electricity, and 55 percent more on our natural gas bills. And that’s not the end of it. We’ll also pay more for every product that requires fossil fuels in its manufacture or transportation!

The Waxman-Markey cap-and-trade plan will also grow the size and cost of government by requiring the Environmental Protection Agency to establish a greenhouse gas (GHG) registry, create a GHG emission allowance transfer system, and set emission allowances from 2012-2050. This army of new bureaucrats will eventually control every aspect of industrial, commercial, and individual energy use. What’s more, the cap-and-trade program will necessarily be ripe for political favoritism and corruption, as politicians and bureaucrats manipulate the system for favored industries.

Climatologist Chip Knappenberger has estimated that the 83 percent reduction in greenhouse gas emissions mandated under Waxman-Markey by 2050 will result in a drop in climate temperature of only nine-hundredths of 1 degree Fahrenheit. That’s equivalent to just two years of avoided global warming.
    In short, the Waxman-Markey bill will achieve virtually no environmental pay-offs, while imposing huge costs on our businesses, our economy, and each and every one of us as a taxpayer and consumer.

Please tell your U.S. Representative today to vote NO on the American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009 (the Waxman-Markey cap-and-trade bill)!

2. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    Sent mine from your first link and added my two cents worth. Ours is a Republican rep here so I doubt he will have much say at this point.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. twogreen2c

twogreen2c VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Just sent my message off to Mike Castle of Delaware. From what I read on his website, he is for a cap-and-trade plan, so I'm sure he won't give a crap what I think. Like most politicians, these a-holes forget who they work for and have tunnel vision. Of course, if I collected Castle's nice government paycheck, had the the best healthcare plan available for my lifetime and a fat pension to look forward to, I wouldn't feel the hurt this plan is going to cause. I just want to know what it is going to take before people rise up in great numbers and put some fear in these elected officials?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Nik

Nik Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Funny, the CBO found numbers significantly lower than the heritage foundation numbers. Why would you continue to use false numbers?

5. Nik

Nik Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Oh, and thanks for the hint. I contacted them and told them to vote for it.

6. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,163
    I do not approve of Cap & Trade, but I'll be damned if I am going to help Skull Pilot or any other right winger until they start helping us.

Help us:

Take back the Federal Reserve. (You cry about $2 trillion and the Fed spent $9 trill in the last 8 months)

Get Iraq to start paying for the occupation

Stop private companies like the oil companies and defense contractors from bankrupting the country.

Fix healthcare thru single payer reform

7. Skull Pilot

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,052
    I am not using anyone's numbers. This letter is from the Citizens Against Government Waste site

And what were the CBO numbers. if you care to refute a post please back it up with a link.

8. Skull Pilot

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,052
    I'm no right winger and you know it.

everything i do is in support of smaller, less expensive, less intrusive government. So getting rid of the Fed, I'm all for it.

I never supported Iraq and we should get out of Afghanistan too.

Government meddling in private companies, no help from me

Government gaining more control of my privacy via health care, no thanks.

9. Skull Pilot

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,052
    Only an idiot like you would vote to increase the size scope and cost of government and in the process increase your own cost of living.

10. Nik

Nik Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Yeah well maybe you should examine facts before you just post shit, eh?

CBO: Cap-And-Trade to Cost $175 Per Household · Environmental Leader · Green Business, Sustainable Business, and Green Strategy News for Corporate Sustainability Executives

CBO says $175 per household.