Not Just Obamacare: Medicaid, Medicare Also On GOP’s Chopping Block

The health care safety net as we know it could be bound for extinction.

Donald Trump and Republican leaders in Congress have made clear they are serious about repealing Obamacare, and doing so quickly. But don’t assume their dismantling of government health insurance programs will stop there.

For about two decades now, Republicans have been talking about radically changing the government’s two largest health insurance programs, Medicaid and Medicare.

The goal with Medicaid is to turn the program almost entirely over to the states, but with less money to run it. The goal with Medicare is to convert it from a government-run insurance program into a voucher system ― while, once again, reducing the money that goes into the program.

House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) has championed these ideas for years. Trump has not. In fact, in a 2015 interview his campaign website highlighted, he vowed that “I’m not going to cut Medicare or Medicaid.” But the health care agenda on Trump’s transition website, which went live Thursday, vows to “modernize Medicare” and allow more “flexibility” for Medicaid.

In Washington, those are euphemisms for precisely the kind of Medicare and Medicaid plans Ryan has long envisioned. And while it’s never clear what Trump really thinks or how he’ll act, it sure looks like both he and congressional Republicans are out to undo Lyndon Johnson’s health care legacy, not just Barack Obama’s.

Of course, whenever Trump or Republicans talk about dismantling existing government programs, they insist they will replace them with something better ― implying that the people who depend on those programs now won’t be worse off.

But Republicans are not trying to replicate what Medicaid, Medicare and the Affordable Care Act do now. Nor are they trying to maintain the current, historically high level of health coverage nationwide that these programs have produced. Their goal is to slash government spending on health care and to peel back regulations on parts of the health care industry, particularly insurers.

This would mean lower taxes, and an insurance market that operates with less government interference. It would also reduce how many people get help paying for health coverage, and make it so that those who continue to receive government-sponsored health benefits will get less help than they do now.

It’s difficult to be precise about the real-world effects, because the Republican plans for replacing existing government insurance programs remain so undefined. Ryan’s “A Better Way” proposal is a broad, 37-page outline without dollar figures, and Senate Republican leaders have never produced an actual Obamacare “replacement” plan.

But the Republican plans in circulation, along with the vague ― and shifting ― health care principles Trump endorsed during the campaign, have common themes. And from those it’s possible to glean a big-picture idea of what a fully realized version of the Republican health care agenda would mean.

DETAILS: Not Just Obamacare: Medicaid, Medicare Also On GOP's Chopping Block

The above link provides details on how the Trump Administration will chop Obamacare, Medicaid, and Medicare.
Poor little liberals. Crying and squalling after receiving the biggest electoral defeat in living memory.

Why should anyone pay attention to you? Normal people know you'll just keep complaining and whining no matter what we say. Since you're no longer in a position to do harm to the country, there's no point in paying attention to you. You're just not worth the trouble.
Why do you tell these lies or misinformation? Clinton got more electoral votes than McCain or Romney and Obama got more electoral votes than Trump in both 2008 and 2012.

I also learned something new today about Obamacare and pre-existing conditions from a close friend of mine. Actually, insurance companies can deny coverage for pre-existing conditions to seniors who are over 65 1/2 years old. This was also confirmed by a very knowledgeable insurance agent with Mutual of Omaha. I think it's interesting that this fact has never been publicized. I can't even find anything on the Internet about it.
Link from a reputable source?

Dear Idiot: I have no link source - other than my friend's conversation with a Mutual of Omaha agent who is trying to help her switch health insurance companies. She is a retired teacher who currently has Humana health insurance coverage through her Teachers Association - and it sucks. She wants to leave and switch to another insurance company - but she has a pre-existing condition from 20 years ago and was just denied coverage from another company based on her pre-existing condition. She just turned 70 years old.

I also learned something new today about Obamacare and pre-existing conditions from a close friend of mine. Actually, insurance companies can deny coverage for pre-existing conditions to seniors who are over 65 1/2 years old. This was also confirmed by a very knowledgeable insurance agent with Mutual of Omaha. I think it's interesting that this fact has never been publicized. I can't even find anything on the Internet about it.

Dear Idiot: I have no link source - other than my friend's conversation with a Mutual of Omaha agent who is trying to help her switch health insurance companies. She is a retired teacher who currently has Humana health insurance coverage through her Teachers Association - and it sucks. She wants to leave and switch to another insurance company - but she has a pre-existing condition from 20 years ago and was denied coverage from another company. She just turned 70 years old.

God you're dumb. Thank God y'all ain't running the country anymore.

GO TRUMP! GO DEPLORABLES! :dance:

they can deny insurance to them, because they get Medicare Insurance after 65 1/2 now....

companies used to make insurance part of their retirement packages for employees, but once they reach the age of Medicare qualification...now 65 1/2 yrs old, the retirement packages for the insurance part can be dropped by their employers... maybe this is what your friends are talking about? Also maybe insurance companies no longer have to cover those of Medicare age? I'm not of age and have a little while to get there so I'm not certain....I just remember people of age complaining about it...

LackBrains still doesn't know that President Elect Donald J Trump doesn't give a shit about what other Republicans think even though President Elect Donald J Trump ran on the very platform of "I don't give a shit about what other Republicans think".

Poor little LackBrains.
Trump cannot do anything without McConnell and Ryan, who just got reelected speaker. I think Ryan's days are numbered, but the same gop party that existed before Nov 8 is still the one with the pursestrings and ability to write laws.
Trump is going to use the Bully Pulpit like no one before him.
Trump's going to cut taxes predominately on the 1% and increase spending, and the RINOS are right there with him.

Butt-hurt moocher gibberish. Very dumb folks. Thank God they're riding in the backseat now. ;)

GO TRUMP GO DEPLORABLES! ITS YA BIRFDAY! :dance:

they can deny insurance to them, because they get Medicare Insurance after 65 1/2 now....

companies used to make insurance part of their retirement packages for employees, but once they reach the age of Medicare qualification...now 65 1/2 yrs old, the retirement packages for the insurance part can be dropped by their employers... maybe this is what your friends are talking about? Also maybe insurance companies no longer have to cover those of Medicare age? I'm not of age and have a little while to get there so I'm not certain....I just remember people of age complaining about it...

Thank you! My friend is also my roommate, so I'm trying to help her gather information. It just seems odd that we've never heard about this particular Obamacare glitch regarding pre-existing conditions before.

Well if people are eligible for Medicare, why should private insurers have to insure them for pre-existing conditions? Medicare does a lot right (and wrong) but keeping down the cost of HC for working families is one of the good things.

And the gop seems determined to get rid of that.

The GOP is determined to get rid of all programs that benefit average Americans, so that money can be given to the super-rich, as either tax cuts or profits from federal contracts. The idiots in the right wing have proven time and again that they would rather see the middle class destroyed to increase the profits of the fat cats.

The fools elected a billionaire, so now the foxes are truly guarding the hen house.

Well if people are eligible for Medicare, why should private insurers have to insure them for pre-existing conditions? Medicare does a lot right (and wrong) but keeping down the cost of HC for working families is one of the good things.

And the gop seems determined to get rid of that.

The GOP is determined to get rid of all programs that benefit average Americans, so that money can be given to the super-rich, as either tax cuts or profits from federal contracts. The idiots in the right wing have proven time and again that they would rather see the middle class destroyed to increase the profits of the fat cats.

The fools elected a billionaire, so now the foxes are truly guarding the hen house.

Don't be the hen. Be the fox.

You moocher folks should ponder that sometime.

the taxes should not be cut on the very top 1% yet....there are too many costly things to do.

the top 1% got the bulk of the Bush tax cut money, and those tax cuts came from the social security surplus monies....

the top 1% doesn't pay in to SS taxes on all of their income...and not at all or just near nil, with people like Trump and most all of the very wealthiest....yet they got the Social Security surplus monies that were estimated under the bush regime, in federal income tax breaks.... Our Social Security surpluses, were taken from Social security, and given to them in tax cuts.....

So, it would be wrong to give them ANOTHER tax break, before they pay back the social security surplus money that they stole from us, via the gvt's slight of hand.

the taxes should not be cut on the very top 1% yet....there are too many costly things to do.

the top 1% got the bulk of the Bush tax cut money, and those tax cuts came from the social security surplus monies....

the top 1% doesn't pay in to SS taxes on all of their income...and not at all or just near nil, with people like Trump and most all of the very wealthiest....yet they got the Social Security surplus monies that were estimated under the bush regime, in federal income tax breaks.... Our Social Security surpluses, were taken from Social security, and given to them in tax cuts.....

So, it would be wrong to give them ANOTHER tax break, before they pay back the social security surplus money that they stole from us, via the gvt's slight of hand.

Y'all Clinton Bootlickers still don't get it, huh? Ya fired. You're not calling the shots. Trump's got the pen and phone now. Y'all are just gonna have to shut up and hop in the back.

GO TRUMP GO DEPLORABLES! :dance:

LackBrains still doesn't know that President Elect Donald J Trump doesn't give a shit about what other Republicans think even though President Elect Donald J Trump ran on the very platform of "I don't give a shit about what other Republicans think".

Poor little LackBrains.
Trump cannot do anything without McConnell and Ryan, who just got reelected speaker. I think Ryan's days are numbered, but the same gop party that existed before Nov 8 is still the one with the pursestrings and ability to write laws.
Trump is going to use the Bully Pulpit like no one before him.
Trump's going to cut taxes predominately on the 1% and increase spending, and the RINOS are right there with him.
If he brings jobs and careers back I don't care.
If he doesn't, I will not support him the next time around.
In fact, I can't see myself ever voting for anyone ever again as they're all Globalist Sock Puppets.

Thank you! My friend is also my roommate, so I'm trying to help her gather information. It just seems odd that we've never heard about this particular Obamacare glitch regarding pre-existing conditions before.

Goodness gracious....

I'm not certain, but don't you only have one shot at enrolling in Medicare? Did she miss her chance to enroll in it because she chose to stay with her retirement insurance? and only NOW she is finding out that Insurance companies can deny her if she is older than Medicare age?

Obamacare and their regulations only covers insurance until you reach the age of Medicare qualification.

Yeah but Medicare isn't that great and many people have to get supplemental insurance.

Y'all Clinton Bootlickers still don't get it, huh? Ya fired. You're not calling the shots. Trump's got the pen and phone now. Y'all are just gonna have to shut up and hop in the back.

Stop being a petulant child.... :rofl:

I have every intention of supporting President Trump, as I have supported every President in my lifetime, regardless of party.

This is a topic that affects everyone, regardless of party, regardless of income, regardless of color....regardless of religion, regardless of gender..... got it yet?

Stop being a petulant child.... :rofl:

I have every intention of supporting President Trump, as I have supported every President in my lifetime, regardless of party.

This is a topic that affects everyone, regardless of party, regardless of income, regardless of color....

Looks like ole Hitlery's dishonesty has rubbed off on ya. You will undermine Trump every step of the way. But i don't mind sabotage, i do mind lying about it though. I can't respect that.

Yeah but Medicare isn't that great and many people have to get supplemental insurance.
but I didn't think lakota was talking about a supplemental plan, was he?

Goodness gracious....

I'm not certain, but don't you only have one shot at enrolling in Medicare? Did she miss her chance to enroll in it because she chose to stay with her retirement insurance? and only NOW she is finding out that Insurance companies can deny her if she is older than Medicare age?

Obamacare and their regulations only covers insurance until you reach the age of Medicare qualification.

Thank you. No, she has been in Medicare ever since she was eligible. We've just never heard that people over 65 1/2 years old can be denied insurance coverage for pre-existing conditions. We just thought it applied to everyone - and no one could be denied regardless of age.

Forum List

Back