North Korean Security Believes Ryongchon Explosion an Assassination Attempt

Discussion in 'Asia' started by freeandfun1, May 25, 2004.

  1. freeandfun1
    Offline

    freeandfun1 VIP Member

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2004
    Messages:
    6,201
    Thanks Received:
    295
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Ratings:
    +296
    North Korean Security Believes Ryongchon Explosion an Assassination Attempt


    According to a source, North Korea's State Safety & Security Agency concluded that the massive explosion that occurred in the North Korean city of Ryongchon on April 22 had been conspired by anti-North Korean government forces to harm North Korean leader Kim Jong-il.
    A North Korean official who was recently on his business trip to China said, “The North Korean National Security Agency has investigated the incident since it took place and concluded that rebellious forces had plotted the explosions targeting the exclusive train of Kim Jong-il. The security agency, in particular, gained evidence that cell phones had been used in triggering the explosion and reported to the North Korean leader that the use of cell phones should be banned for the sake of the leader’s safety, the official said.

    Accordingly, it was learned that North Korea prohibited the use of cell phones across the nation on May 19.

    An officer working with a North Korean border guard unit, which is in charge of guarding the border area between the North and China, said in a phone call with this writer that the use of cell phones was banned in Pyongyang first on May 19, and then prohibited in other regions on May 20.

    A North Korea defector who crossed the border a few days ago said, “It doesn’t seem to be a temporary measure, because even handsets have been conscripted following the cell phone use ban.” “The Postal Service, which manages the cell phone business, has unilaterally conscripted handsets without offering any compensations. It's a typical example of a dictatorial state,” the defector pointed out.

    North Korea began to use European-type GSM phones in August 2002 and started cell phone service in Najin and Sunbong, the North Korean special economic areas, starting November that year. However, in areas bordering China, an increasing number of North Korean people have already used cell phones with handsets made in China since the end of 1990s.
     
  2. Zhukov
    Offline

    Zhukov VIP Member

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2003
    Messages:
    3,492
    Thanks Received:
    301
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Location:
    Everywhere, simultaneously.
    Ratings:
    +301
    Didn't that explosion happen 18 hours after our glorious leader had passed through?

    This story could be a fabrication to divert attention from the accusations concerning syrian/north korean missile co-operation.
     
  3. freeandfun1
    Offline

    freeandfun1 VIP Member

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2004
    Messages:
    6,201
    Thanks Received:
    295
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Ratings:
    +296
    yep
     
  4. Avatar4321
    Offline

    Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2004
    Messages:
    70,568
    Thanks Received:
    8,171
    Trophy Points:
    2,070
    Location:
    Minnesota
    Ratings:
    +12,204
    How convient, a cell phone caused it so we need to ban all cell phones. This has nothing to do with the fact that phones help people communicate together and we dont want people communicating because they might realize its better elsewhere and watch them overthrow us. no its for the public safety.
     
  5. freeandfun1
    Offline

    freeandfun1 VIP Member

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2004
    Messages:
    6,201
    Thanks Received:
    295
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Ratings:
    +296
    you're just weird avatar. the article mentions nothing of banning cellphones. The NK's banned them, but hell, that is a totalitarian regime. They even have only one TV station.

    DOH!
     
  6. NATO AIR
    Offline

    NATO AIR Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2004
    Messages:
    4,275
    Thanks Received:
    282
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    USS Abraham Lincoln
    Ratings:
    +282
    if it was an assassination attempt, who's responsible?

    it would be nice if there were elements in north korea that were tired of their destructive leader, but its probably fantasy.
     
  7. dilloduck
    Offline

    dilloduck Diamond Member

    Joined:
    May 8, 2004
    Messages:
    53,240
    Thanks Received:
    5,552
    Trophy Points:
    1,850
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Also this gives the current regime more ammo to further restict the rights of the North Koreans.
     
  8. Comrade
    Offline

    Comrade Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2004
    Messages:
    1,873
    Thanks Received:
    167
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    Seattle, WA.
    Ratings:
    +167
    Interesting though, that this ban on cell phones does not include a ban on cell phone towers in operation within North Korea.

    Because it's not really a ban but a restriction. The priviledged few are indeed exempt from such bans, and therefore the need for such towers remain.

    It puts a whole new take on the "prestige" factor of being a cell phone user in public in North Korea. Imagine how many chicks you could get with a cell phone, which translates to "Man with HUGE penis" to the proletariat in the streets. I bet most of the trusted party make a point of talking in public on their cell phones, just to show off.
     

Share This Page