North Carolina ends pay boosts for teacher master's degrees

I believe there is more going on here than first meets the eye.

If NC is like most states, teachers are required to get some number of graduate credits in order to obtain permanent certification as a licensed teacher. What some colleges do is to create a "masters degree" (small "m") program that allows a teacher to obtain the degree with only a few more courses than they are required to take anyway for permanent certification. So the teachers get a salary bump for very little extra effort above what is required by law.

Furthermore, these "masters" programs are loaded with "methods" courses and seminars that require minimal work and everyone gets a B just for showing up. There is no comprehensive examination or thesis required. In short, it is a bullshit master's degree that no one with any integrity would even want.

Many of today's principals and top administrators around the country have similar PhD degrees that are awarded on a similar basis - sometimes even by mail order. They are in no way comparable to PhD's in the hard sciences or even social sciences and humanities, where dissertations are evaluated critically and take as long as a year to complete.

No one begrudges a teacher a "bump" in pay if they get a "real" masters degree in a subject that is related to the subject they teach. But it is the bullshit degrees that brought this on.

I have several friends who are Pennsylvania teachers, and who all have "masters" degrees exactly like the ones I'm describing.

you are friends?

show them this comment and that will change in a hurry

"North Carolina's Governor's Salary $139,590

The North Carolina average teacher salary of $45,933"

The governor of a state has reached the top level of his profession. An "average teacher" is nowhere near that level in the teacher's career progression. An analogous level of achievement would be a school superintendent of a large school district which - at least in my neck of the woods - pays a hell of a lot more than $140k.

Perhaps if you keep the very best teachers and paid them a very good salary.

No tenure. Pay them for masters continuing education.

Set up a growth record of each student. If the growth record is 1 month growth for 1 month in school, the basic salary is earned. If the student makes 2-3 months more growth that year, a certain percentage range is warranted, the higher the range, the higher the amount.

This would be done for all the students in the classroom that would qualify according to attendance. Then take the average growth and deem the raise or assign probation for negative growth.

Be aware, that teachers will not be happy when they get students who should be in special classes and are not properly placed in a timely manner. Or, what happens when a child qualifies for a Developmentally Delayed class, but the parents don't want them in the class and they sit in the class room taking the extra time from the classroom teacher?

See my above post about salaries in NC.[/Q

A good teacher is worth $75,000. Teachers are controlling our future.
Good teachers can help be the answer to inner city schools.
Good teachers can be the answer to students dropping out of school.
Good teachers can mentor students.
Good teachers stay after school, talk with parents and devise motivational plans for students.
Teachers are the first authority figure the students will encounter outside of the home that they have to respect and obey. It needs to be a positive experience.
Good teachers are worth every penny. Pay them what they are worth and get rid of the mediocre teachers.

49 .99999...% of teachers will always be below average.

Often times teachers start as mediocre before they become good or even great.

I think there should be a pay hike for earning a masters for the obvious reasons, but disagree with tenure and have mixed feelings with raises tied to student performance.

No one would want to take on the challenge of low performing students or students who have been deemed difficult to handle in a classroom situation.

What about students who are in special classes and all students a low performers? Is the teacher going to be refused a raise when she had 7 months growth in 7 months which would be spectacular for slower children?

And teachers of gifted would get a raise when they made 10 months growth in 7 months when those students could have grown much more with their ability?

The variables are much too high when dealing with children and their abilities, homes and attendance.

I have never heard of public school teachers having tenure. College professors have tenure, not public school teachers, as far as I know. I think professionals who have masters and doctorate degrees should have a higher salary: salary should depend on years of experience and years of training as well as performance.

Last edited:
Good students grow in spite of a bad teacher, average students will grow with an average teacher, challenged students will grow with a very good teacher.

A especially challenged (special classes) student will grow with a very good teacher and a little more time, but is sure to grow.

With a bad teacher, no one but the good students will grow and the average teachers turn into bad teachers over time when they are not paid well, appreciated, or there for the summers off. Motivate your teachers with good salaries and frequent reviews.

What other profession grants a raise simply for obtaining an advanced degree?

I got a raise after receiving my MBA. You should be compensated for a higher level of education as you're now bringing a higher skill set to the job.

If your enhanced degree doesn't result in enhanced performance, why should you get more pay?

A Masters degree should make you a better teacher. If it doesn't, you don't deserve the pay

Performance of your students should = $.

We need a system that allows for "thinking", high test scores and ability to perform within society.

I don't care about arbitrary test scores..

If you take a student on the verge of dropping out and get him to graduate.....you are a good teacher
If you turn a D student into a C student, you are a good teacher

You should be judged on what you were given and what you did with them

Forum List

Back