Non-Monogamy Growing in Acceptance and Popularity

People that can't be faithful to 1 partner are just selfish.
I don't know what else needs to be said...
People who think that everyone should have the same values and live by the same norms are selfish. People who think that everyone should be just like them and that their way of life is the only right way are selfish .....and self centered. Do you really want a society where people can dictate what consenting adults can do, who they can live with, and what is and is not a family?

Now have a society that knows nothing about sacrifice. Giving up pleasures – we want what we want and want it now. If it ever gets to the point where we have to start from scratch, people won’t know how to survive – and we already don’t know how to really love. Because our idea of love is loving ourselves. Putting ourselves and our needs first vs. those of others.
People made sacrifices in the past because they were living for future generations. For their kids and grandkids.
People now don’t really care about that – it’s all about ME. I want to have sex with many partners, so I will. It’s not hurting anyone. Maybe, maybe not. But you for SURE won’t hurt anyone being faithful.

Now have a society that knows nothing about sacrifice. Giving up pleasures – we want what we want and want it now. If it ever gets to the point where we have to start from scratch, people won’t know how to survive – and we already don’t know how to really love. Because our idea of love is loving ourselves. Putting ourselves and our needs first vs. those of others.
People made sacrifices in the past because they were living for future generations. For their kids and grandkids.
People now don’t really care about that – it’s all about ME. I want to have sex with many partners, so I will. It’s not hurting anyone. Maybe, maybe not. But you for SURE won’t hurt anyone being faithful.
Oh common. Now your just blathering. What are you...a Puritan ????? Have some fun or at least stop begrudging others for it.

Oh common. Now your just blathering. What are you...a Puritan ????? Have some fun or at least stop begrudging others for it.

Devil's Advocate:dev2:

I could not agreed more. I am a strong advocate for protecting children's physical and emotional well being. I had a long career in child protective services and fully understand to need to ensure that children are not exposed to any activity that will be detrimental to them. I would not support any "lifestyle" that would put children at risk.

Do as I say, not as I do? :cuckoo:
Would you care to elaborate ?

No, you are well aware of exactly what I am saying. The reality is families are suffering and have for a long time. It is reflected in school test scores, crime, divorce and many other measures. It is all rooted in the attacks on the nuclear family by people who would like to believe all this foolishness has no impact.
I could not agreed more. I am a strong advocate for protecting children's physical and emotional well being. I had a long career in child protective services and fully understand to need to ensure that children are not exposed to any activity that will be detrimental to them. I would not support any "lifestyle" that would put children at risk.

Do as I say, not as I do? :cuckoo:
Would you care to elaborate ?

No, you are well aware of exactly what I am saying. The reality is families are suffering and have for a long time. It is reflected in school test scores, crime, divorce and many other measures. It is all rooted in the attacks on the nuclear family by people who would like to believe all this foolishness has no impact.

I will add this…….

You are stating that there is a CORRELATION between the changing family structure and educational and delinquency problems that may ( or may not) be on the increase. However, CORRELATION does not prove causation. You can show that any difficulties that children are experience are due to the family structure ( i.e. not having a mom and a dad) or divorce of the parents without controlling for numerous intervening variables such as the degree of harmony between the spouses, quality of the relationship between parents and children, educational levels, social environment and a whole host of other factors. Only if you do can you say that WITH ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL, children in “traditional families “ fair better than those in nontraditional families. You should brush up on the basic principles of social research.

Maybe the reason for families suffering is because the middle class is suffering, and why is that? Again you can’t assign a cause and effect relationship between these problems and the evolving norms and values that we see. That is driven by social forces that cannot be controlled by anyone and there is no turning back. So, we can either be accepting and supporting of parents who are in nontraditional relationships so that they can be the best parents possible, or we can ridicule them, marginalize them, discriminate against them and further undermine the family. And yes, even though you may not approve of them, they are still families.

I will add this…….

You are stating that there is a CORRELATION between the changing family structure and educational and delinquency problems that may ( or may not) be on the increase. However, CORRELATION does not prove causation. You can show that any difficulties that children are experience are due to the family structure ( i.e. not having a mom and a dad) or divorce of the parents without controlling for numerous intervening variables such as the degree of harmony between the spouses, quality of the relationship between parents and children, educational levels, social environment and a whole host of other factors. Only if you do can you say that WITH ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL, children in “traditional families “ fair better than those in nontraditional families. You should brush up on the basic principles of social research.

Maybe the reason for families suffering is because the middle class is suffering, and why is that? Again you can’t assign a cause and effect relationship between these problems and the evolving norms and values that we see. That is driven by social forces that cannot be controlled by anyone and there is no turning back. So, we can either be accepting and supporting of parents who are in nontraditional relationships so that they can be the best parents possible, or we can ridicule them, marginalize them, discriminate against them and further undermine the family. And yes, even though you may not approve of them, they are still families.

Looks like you have a major amount of denial going on.

We have fed TV crap to kids and adults for decades now. TV executives and producers promoting an agenda of progressive nonsense. Video games that are pure violence. Then idiots come out and claim, hey this means nothing as far as real violence. RIGHT

I will add this…….

Looks like you have a major amount of denial going on.

Denial about what?

Looks like you have a major need to spew baseless opinions and conservative talking points that cannot be backed up with facts or logic. In addition, you are unable to refute, or even respond to any of the points that I’ve made in any reasonable or meaningful way. All that you have been able to do is to level an ad hominem at me by questioning my mental status. Seems like logical fallacies are all that you have.

Let me ask you this. What would you do- in terms of public policy- to address the social ills that you decry? Here are a few things that I thought of. Tell us which one you would support and what other ideas you might have.

1. Mandate that only married, heterosexual couple be allowed to have children in their care.

2. Criminalize sex outside of marriage and certain other sexual practices.

3. Outlaw divorce

Forum List

Back