Death and Dying

Dhara

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2015
Conscious voluntary dying is different from assisted suicide.

In other words, it's when you know you're dying and you choose not to accept extraordinary measures, including food and water.

I wanted to discuss conscious dying, and making the choice to stop eating and drinking.

I have a standing order and written form stating a DNR. And I mean it. Wrote it out couple of years ago. I have all my wits about me now..and did then. I keel over....someone better fucking not bring me back. I'll be pissed.
Doing it deliberately? No.

edited to add that is the word I wanted. Living will. But the only time that will come into play is if I don't have the ability to off myself when I MYSELF want to go. My body. My decision. Fuck no to lingering and some stranger being in charge of me and my brain is mush.

I wanted to discuss conscious dying, and making the choice to stop eating and drinking.
(If this is too personal, just slide on by...) Do you know someone that is contemplating this?
I just got back from a lecture on Death and Dying. So I guess I could say I'm contemplating advanced directives and how to make life easy for my family when it's time.

I have a standing order and written form stating a DNR. And I mean it. Wrote it out couple of years ago. I have all my wits about me now..and did then. I keel over....someone better fucking not bring me back. I'll be pissed.
Doing it deliberately? No.
It happens.

(If this is too personal, just slide on by...) Do you know someone that is contemplating this?
I just got back from a lecture on Death and Dying. So I guess I could say I'm contemplating advanced directives and how to make life easy for my family when it's time.
My mother had a DNR and it helped with the guilt. She had Alzheimer's disease and could no longer be fed or take water. I was the medical surrogate and I finally made the decision to withhold food and water. I know this is what she wanted but I could barely say it when it came down to making the decision.

My mother had a DNR and it helped with the guilt. She had Alzheimer's disease and could no longer be fed or take water. I was the medical surrogate and I finally made the decision to withhold food and water. I know this is what she wanted but I could barely say it when it came down to making the decision.
That is awesome of you.

The professional term, "Devastating Irreversible Brain States" refers to three diagnoses: 1) permanently unconscious coma, 2) Persistent/Permanent Vegetative State, and 3) end-stage or advanced dementia.

He says that you can make advanced directives that include the withholding of food and water for one of these three diagnoses:

1) permanently unconscious coma, 2) Persistent/Permanent Vegetative State, and 3) end-stage or advanced dementia.

That is awesome of you.
I could barely walk when she died. There was a standing order for her brain to be taken for study, so I had to meet the coroner in the morgue at 4 in the morning in unlit hallways. It was all surreal. Tell the medical surrogate not to be alone when making that decision. It is so hard.

That is awesome of you.
I could barely walk when she died. There was a standing order for her brain to be taken for study, so I had to meet the coroner in the morgue at 4 in the morning in unlit hallways. It was all surreal. Tell the medical surrogate not to be alone when making that decision. It is so hard.
Wow. What a loving task you did.

Before medical miracles, people who were extremely ill simply no longer ate or drank. Cancer patients often completely lose their interest in Food & Fluid, and their wishes are respected since they can still speak for themselves. But for those patients who cannot currently voice their wishes, however, others sometimes impose their view of what is on them. The only way to prevent this from happening is to strategically create effective documents while patients still have the capacity to make their own medical decisions.

He says that you can make advanced directives that include the withholding of food and water for one of these three diagnoses:

1) permanently unconscious coma, 2) Persistent/Permanent Vegetative State, and 3) end-stage or advanced dementia.
I think she had all three diagnoses. BTW, I have the same order of DNR for myself. But, I will talk to my surrogate about passing over and it should not be a difficult decision for him. I don't want him to be sad or feel guilty.

That is awesome of you.
Wow. What a loving task you did.

Before medical miracles, people who were extremely ill simply no longer ate or drank. Cancer patients often completely lose their interest in Food & Fluid, and their wishes are respected since they can still speak for themselves. But for those patients who cannot currently voice their wishes, however, others sometimes impose their view of what is on them. The only way to prevent this from happening is to strategically create effective documents while patients still have the capacity to make their own medical decisions.
Thank you for your kindness,
I am grateful that both my father and mother thought to have those documents. I just wish she knew I was telling her "Goodbye" and how much I loved her.

I worked end stage rehab for 27 years. What's your question?
At what point in a person dying of dementia do you think it would be most helpful to alert caregivers to withhold food and water?

Forum List

Back