'No one has seen God at anytime': Did Moses see God's face?

dpr112yme

Jul 1, 2016
118. Did Moses see God face to face?
Yes.
And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend. Exodus 33:11
And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face. Deuteronomy 34:10

No, he only saw his back parts.
Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live. And the LORD said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock: And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put theein a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by: And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen. Exodus 33:20-23
Did Moses see God face to face?

Did Moses See the Face of God? Did Moses See the Face of God?
The apostle John, through the Holy Spirit wrote, “No one has seen God at anytime” (John 1:18; 1 John 4:12). The Old Testament, however records some instances where God’s people were said to see some aspect of God. Exodus 24:10 tell us that Moses, Aaron, Nadab, Abihu, and the seventy elders “saw the God of Israel.” Moses was even said to have had the unique honor of speaking to God “face to face” (Deut. 34:10). Did Moses actually see the face of God?

The Trinity The Trinity

God is a trinity of persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. The Father is not the same person as the Son; the Son is not the same person as the Holy Spirit; and the Holy Spirit is not the same person as the Father. They are not three gods and not three beings. They are three distinct persons; yet, they are all the one God. Each has a will, can speak, can love, etc. These are demonstrations of personhood. They are in absolute perfect harmony consisting of one substance. They are coeternal, coequal, and copowerful. If any one of the three were removed, there would be no God. (See also, "Another Look at the Trinity")

John 18:20 John 18:20 "I have spoken openly to the world," Jesus replied. "I always taught in synagogues or at the temple, where all the Jews come together. I said nothing in secret.

"Jesus answered him, I spake openly to the world; I ever taught in the synagogue, and in the temple, whither the Jews always resort; and in secret have I said nothing."

So if Moses saw the face of God and the people saw the face of Jesus, whose face can not be seen?

He brought animals to Adam to name. Adam and Eve walked with Him in the cool of the evening. Abraham sat around the campfire with Him. Sarah served Him stew to eat. God heard her laugh at Him, and named her child. He and Abraham walked among entrails to confirm a covenant. Moses saw the palm of His hand and His back side. Once a year the Priest in the Temple was allowed to enter the Holy of Holies where God resided. And yet at other encounters He is seen as a burning bush, a cloud, smoke...
There seems to be a radiance about him. Enough to leave a glow around the people in close proximity to Him. Turned Moses' hair white. Christ has been sitting at His right side, and the next time we see Christ his hair will be white also.

Last edited:
Whenever you treat this multi-transcribed multi-translated ancient script as verbatim, you are going to run in to numerous contradictions like that.

Best thing is not take everything word for word. Just get the gist of the meaning and go with that.

It is obvious that the Hebrews after living in Egypt for hundreds of years had become murderers, wife swappers, liars, liars under oath, thieves, envious, coveters, idolatrous, Sabbath breakers, foul mouthed, juvenile delinquents, etc. -- just like everybody else. Nothing special about them to start with.

Then Moses began instituting his social reforms.

The whole story is quite credible when taken as a whole.

Moses seems to have had legal, language, and military training as only a young prince would. Not being the firstborn he was unable to inherit the throne. Having a jealous brother he was expelled on trumped up charges. Having resettled in a neighboring community with a loving new wife and her sisters and father, he took care of their flocks, and he had no reason to want to go back to Egypt.

The God called JHVH (pronounced variously) contacted him and needed Moses' help.

This brings us to our first grand paradox. A paradox is something that seems contradictory but which is true none the less.

The philosophy God is all powerful. And everyone since Augustine thinks that the Christian God is therefore all powerful also.

So why did God/YHVH need Moses' help ??

The obvious conclusion is that God needs all of our help then.

Anyway, so the story goes.

I would be less concerned about whether Moses saw God face to face (like it says in plain Hebrew) or whether no man has seen God at any time (which in Greek means almost anything but certainly is NOT literal).

Last edited:
Whenever you treat this multi-transcribed multi-translated ancient script as verbatim, you are going to run in to numerous contradictions like that.

Best thing is not take everything word for word. Just get the gist of the meaning and go with that.

It is obvious that the Hebrews after living in Egypt for hundreds of years had become murderers, wife swappers, liars, liars under oath, thieves, envious, coveters, idolatrous, Sabbath breakers, foul mouthed, juvenile delinquents, etc. -- just like everybody else. Nothing special about them to start with.

Then Moses began instituting his social reforms.

The whole story is quite credible when taken as a whole.

Moses seems to have had legal, language, and military training as only a young prince would. Not being the firstborn he was unable to inherit the throne. Having a jealous brother he was expelled on trumped up charges. Having resettled in a neighboring community with a loving new wife and her sisters and father, he took care of their flocks, and he had no reason to want to go back to Egypt.

The God called JHVH (pronounced variously) contacted him and needed Moses' help.

This brings us to our first grand paradox. A paradox is something that seems contradictory but which is true none the less.

The philosophy God is all powerful. And everyone since Augustine thinks that the Christian God is therefore all powerful also.

So why did God/YHVH need Moses' help ??

The obvious conclusion is that God needs all of our help then.

Anyway, so the story goes.

I would be less concerned about whether Moses saw God face to face (like it says in plain Hebrew) or whether no man has seen God at any time (which in Greek means almost anything but certainly is NOT literal).
There are no contradictions only off precepts of carnal humans.

Forum List

Back