No More Human Hands Kneading Udders

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Another headline that caught my eye.
I remember a cold morning with steam rising from fresh cow paddies as the milk cows stuck their heads through the stocks to eat their morning dose of oats. The Jersey had teats so hard it was like trying to milk a rope. The Holstein's were huge and almost came out by itself. And, don't forget the cats hanging around waiting for their helping of warm, fresh milk.

To be no more? This Telegraph UK article talks about cows walking into a special stall where lasers scan their undersides, decide how much food to feed them – then go ahead and milk them! Read about it @ Farm robot lets cow decide when it wants to be milked - Telegraph

dude....milking by hand went out of style in the 60s......my father milked cows by hand in Bakersfield CA during the depression......large dairy herd, milkers lived in dormitories and the kneading of udders went on 24/7......

he then returned to Iowa and started his own dairy farm....we used Surge mechanical milkers, powered by air compression....

Mechanical milkers have been around for a hundred years. It should be noted that the brilliant Brits decided to turn bovines into cannibals a few years ago by feeding them meat protein and the world ended up with "mad cow disease".

My wife and I spent New Years day a few years back at an Amish farmers house and he gave us a tour of the place. He'd had automatic milkers in place for a while.