No Good Deed Goes UnPunished - Organ Donors May Face Huge Bills

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Organ Donors May Face Huge Bills

MYFOX NATIONAL) - Kidney donors may be stuck with shocking medical bills because having one kidney could constitute a pre-existing condition resulting in a denial of health care coverage, according to UPI .

Hospital officials verbally warn organ donors that having one kidney may be a pre-existing condition affecting insurance, but there is nothing in writing alerting the donors to the huge expenses that could follow.

Thoughts? Personally, I think it's just another example of a broken system that some ignorant people would like to defend.

well it is a pre-existing condition that puts the person at risk for higher medical costs....

I'm tearing up my organ donor card, I'm not going to be dead AND own a tax bill from giving somebody my liver

I'm tearing up my organ donor card, I'm not going to be dead AND own a tax bill from giving somebody my liver

Be careful while you are tearing up your card that you don't get a papercut, which gets infected, and then the bacteria gets into your blood stream leading to endocarditis which destroys your heart valves giving you severe septic cardiomyopathy, which requires a heart transplant.

They would put you at the very bottom of the list if they knew that your entire predicament was because you were tearing up your donor card.

well it is a pre-existing condition that puts the person at risk for higher medical costs....

Two kidneys is overkill. You can live with one kidney. You can live with a fraction of one kidney.

To claim it's a "pre-existing condition" is ridiculous.

How is it ridiculous? It IS pre-existing. And I have no idea who told you the fairy tale that your second kidney is mere redundancy, but I'm not really surprised that you were gullible enough to believe it. It DOES put you at greater health risk, which means you ARE more likely to cost the insurance company a lot of money. Want to explain to me why that company should be obligated to reward your donation with hundreds of thousands of their dollars? Aside from your natural belief that everyone else owes you something, that is.

x-secatwalkn.gif

Two kidneys is overkill. You can live with one kidney. You can live with a fraction of one kidney.

And I have no idea who told you the fairy tale that your second kidney is mere redundancy
My studies. An internist. A urologist. A nephrologist.

It DOES put you at greater health risk
No. It doesn't.

, which means you ARE more likely to cost the insurance company a lot of money.
Bullshit.

Want to explain to me why that company should be obligated to reward your donation with hundreds of thousands of their dollars? Aside from your natural belief that everyone else owes you something, that is.
Aside from, well, medical fact, there is my own experience with this matter.

Last edited:

And I have no idea who told you the fairy tale that your second kidney is mere redundancy
My studies. An internist. A urologist. A nephrologist.

No. It doesn't.

, which means you ARE more likely to cost the insurance company a lot of money.
Bullshit.

Want to explain to me why that company should be obligated to reward your donation with hundreds of thousands of their dollars? Aside from your natural belief that everyone else owes you something, that is.
Aside from, well, medical fact, there is my own experience with this matter.

In other words, you have shit except for "I don't like your answer, I think you're wrong, so there! Nyah nyah!" Call me when you have a better answer than "Bullshit" to the question of whether or not you cost them more money, because when it comes to a choice between your "brilliant" opinion and the tons of statistics and actuarial tables their underwriters use, we should all be able to tell which one I'm going with.

"I heard it somewhere in my 'studies' and I know two guys who agree with me." Puhleeze. Just the fact that those two guys would talk to a 'tard like you tells me they're unreliable sources, completely aside from the fact that they're conveniently unverifiable.

"I heard it somewhere in my 'studies' and I know two guys who agree with me." Puhleeze. Just the fact that those two guys would talk to a 'tard like you tells me they're unreliable sources, completely aside from the fact that they're conveniently unverifiable.

LOL

You're a real piece of work. And you have no clue what you're talking about.

In other words, you have shit except for "I don't like your answer, I think you're wrong, so there! Nyah nyah!" Call me when you have a better answer than "Bullshit" to the question of whether or not you cost them more money, because when it comes to a choice between your "brilliant" opinion and the tons of statistics and actuarial tables their underwriters use, we should all be able to tell which one I'm going with.

Here ya go, dumbass:

Q & A for Kidney Donors

University of Maryland Transplant Center:

What are the health risks associated with being a donor?

Your surgeon and nurse coordinator will discuss all health risks with you. The risks of donation are similar to those involved with any major surgery, such as bleeding and infection. Death resulting from kidney donation is extremely rare. Current research indicates that kidney donation does not change life expectancy or increase a person’s risks of developing kidney disease or other health problems.

Penn Transplant Institute:

Kidney Transplant | Penn Transplant Institute

Your kidneys are important parts of your body. Most people have two but occasionally people are born with one kidney. You can function normally if only 20 percent of one kidney is working.

Mayo Fucking Clinic:

Living Kidney Donor transplant at mayoclinic.org

What risks are associated with kidney donation?

Although some risks are associated with any major operation, donating one kidney does not pose a major risk to a healthy donor. Studies show that the remaining kidney will continue function normally and will compensate for the loss of the other kidney.

University of Pittsburgh [The Thomas E. Starzl Transplantation Institute’s Kidney/Pancreas Transplantation Program is among the nation’s most active, and has become the largest for living-donor kidney transplantation in the northeastern United States]:

http://www.upmc.com/services/transp...nt/kidneytransplant/pages/livingdonation.aspx

Long-term function of the remaining kidney is often the same as for someone who has both kidneys. The risk of developing high blood pressure or other kidney-related problems is the same as for the general population. Many studies have shown no difference in the long-term follow-up of living donors.

University of California San Francisco Children's Hospital:

http://www.ucsfchildrenshospital.org/treatments/living_donor_kidney_transplant/index.html

Recovery
Once the donor leaves the hospital, he or she will be seen for follow-up care in the transplant clinic. Donors from out of town should plan on staying in the area for a week after leaving the hospital.

Donors don't need medication or special diets once they recover from surgery. As with any major operation, there's a chance of complications, but kidney donors have the same life expectancy, general health, kidney function and activities as most other people. The kidney loss doesn't interfere with a woman's ability to have children. Potential donors whose jobs require extreme physical exertion need to discuss this with the transplant staff.

NEJM:

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/360/5/459

Conclusions: Survival and the risk of ESRD in carefully screened kidney donors appear to be similar to those in the general population. Most donors who were studied had a preserved GFR, normal albumin excretion, and an excellent quality of life.

---------

So. Tell me again where I was wrong:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back