no fails in my kitchen

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
someone ask in a bake thread i did ....about failures.....never happens.....today was a bake a day starting with a pie crust....

failone.jpg

failtwo.jpg

i took the crust outta the oven and put it on the oven top...it exploded....the stove top was dry and warm..there was no reason for the explosion other than the pan thought my crust sucked as much as i did

Why Pyrex Shatters:

Pyrex is made of glass. When glass changes temperature rapidly it can undergo “thermal shock.”

The text book definition of thermal shock is: “Stress produced in a body or in a material as a result of undergoing a sudden change in temperature.”

When a Pyrex bowl is heated or cooled rapidly, different parts of the bowl expand or contract by different amounts, causing stress. If the stress is too extreme, the bowl’s structure will fail, causing a spectacular shattering effect.

The main way to avoid this effect is to be mindful of how quickly you change the temperature of Pyrex. Stove tops and broilers conduct heat quickly, and will likely cause the bowls to fail. Taking a bowl directly from the freezer and putting it into a hot oven might also trigger breakage.

Are Pyrex Bowls Dangerous?

Maybe. Pyrex bowls were originally made of something called borosilicate glass, which is very resistant to thermal shock. Currently, Pyrex is made of soda-lime glass, presumably as a cost-cutting measure, as soda-lime glass is very inexpensive. Also, Pyrex is no longer made by the original manufacturer, and is essentially a brand name, rather than a material.

What Now?

The Pyrex website makes no mention of a change in materials, and does not specify what type of glass is used in their products. They claim: “PYREX

glassware products can go directly from refrigerator or freezer to a microwave, convection, or preheated conventional oven.”

Since Pyrex is no longer made of the same special thermal shock resistant glass, one should take extra care when using it. Do not place Pyrex on your stove top. Do not change its temperature rapidly, regardless of what the website says. Pyrex, in its current incarnation, should be treated more like any other piece of glass. —MEGHANN MARCO

Why Pyrex Bowls "Explode"

came outta the oven ....to the dry warm stove top and blew up....

someone ask in a bake thread i did ....about failures.....never happens.....today was a bake a day starting with a pie crust....

View attachment 166740

View attachment 166741

i took the crust outta the oven and put it on the oven top...it exploded....the stove top was dry and warm..there was no reason for the explosion other than the pan thought my crust sucked as much as i did

Oh, that sucks! It probably just had a hairline crack in it that you couldn't see or just didn't notice.

the pie crust it self or the pan? lol the crust sucked but i was willing to roll with it...hubby is going to make a crust for me...i have another pie pan...

Why Pyrex Shatters:

Pyrex is made of glass. When glass changes temperature rapidly it can undergo “thermal shock.”

The text book definition of thermal shock is: “Stress produced in a body or in a material as a result of undergoing a sudden change in temperature.”

When a Pyrex bowl is heated or cooled rapidly, different parts of the bowl expand or contract by different amounts, causing stress. If the stress is too extreme, the bowl’s structure will fail, causing a spectacular shattering effect.

The main way to avoid this effect is to be mindful of how quickly you change the temperature of Pyrex. Stove tops and broilers conduct heat quickly, and will likely cause the bowls to fail. Taking a bowl directly from the freezer and putting it into a hot oven might also trigger breakage.

Are Pyrex Bowls Dangerous?

Maybe. Pyrex bowls were originally made of something called borosilicate glass, which is very resistant to thermal shock. Currently, Pyrex is made of soda-lime glass, presumably as a cost-cutting measure, as soda-lime glass is very inexpensive. Also, Pyrex is no longer made by the original manufacturer, and is essentially a brand name, rather than a material.

What Now?

The Pyrex website makes no mention of a change in materials, and does not specify what type of glass is used in their products. They claim: “PYREX

glassware products can go directly from refrigerator or freezer to a microwave, convection, or preheated conventional oven.”

Since Pyrex is no longer made of the same special thermal shock resistant glass, one should take extra care when using it. Do not place Pyrex on your stove top. Do not change its temperature rapidly, regardless of what the website says. Pyrex, in its current incarnation, should be treated more like any other piece of glass. —MEGHANN MARCO

Why Pyrex Bowls "Explode"

came outta the oven ....to the dry warm stove top and blew up....

I have a few but never had one explode. One time, one of the little thingies holding up my shelf in my cabinet broke and a whole bunch of them broke. That sucked.

i see no reason to pay for a lesser pie when i can make one much better and much cheaper...so far.....pie pan....6 bucks lol flour, salt, shortening 75 cents?

We laugh off the awesome destructive power of pie. Then the glass shatters...

i love to bake....right now i am a wee bit taken back by the explosion...hubby ask where i was....when it exploded....i am like...right in front of it...glass bits all over the stove, counter top and floor....

i love to bake....right now i am a wee bit taken back by the explosion...hubby ask where i was....when it exploded....i am like...right in front of it...glass bits all over the stove, counter top and floor....
Scary stuff. You may want to wear safety glasses till you get your kitchen legs back.

I have never even tried to make one from scratch. I will throw a frozen one in the oven like a boss though

View attachment 166740

View attachment 166741

the pie crust it self or the pan? lol the crust sucked but i was willing to roll with it...hubby is going to make a crust for me...i have another pie pan...
I have always used metal pie tins

Metal cooking vessels never explode

Who thought it was a good idea to make pie pans out of glass?

:cuckoo:

Forum List

Back