Nick Buoniconti dies at 78

What a shame. He was an amazing athlete, and a gentleman through and through.

A fire plug of a linebacker. Dolphin practices must have been interesting when Csonka and Buoniconti collided.

The Dolphin defense was superb. And Shula's ball control offense was masterful. It was a machine.

Those great Dolphin teams filled a void between the Green Bay Packer teams of the late 60s and the Pittsburgh Steeler teams of the mid 70s

Very good teams and fun to watch

I loved the Czonka, Kiick and Mercury Morris backfield with Griese throwing to Paul Warfield.

And Jim Mandich. My nephew played for Wyoming last year and got to meet Jim Kiick, an alum.

Josh Allen, top qb draft pick was on the team too.

And Jim Mandich. My nephew played for Wyoming last year and got to meet Jim Kiick, an alum.

Josh Allen, top qb draft pick was on the team too.

I thought the greatest backup QB ever...Earl Morrall was on that team

While Bob Griese gets credit for that 14-0 undefeated season. Earl Morrall got most of the wins

Last edited:

While Bob Griese gets credit for that 14-0 undefeated season. Earl Morrall got most of the wins
It was a plug in component machine. Morrall was plugged in and did a fine job.

My first NFL game was at old Kezar stadium, Golden Gate park in Sf. It was the Colts vs. 49ers and I was excited to see the anachronistic legend, Johnny Unitas. He went down in the first quarter and I saw Earl Morrall instead.
He was as colorful and exciting as drying paint but he got the job done.

It was a plug in component machine. Morrall was plugged in and did a fine job.

My first NFL game was at old Kezar stadium, Golden Gate park in Sf. It was the Colts vs. 49ers and I was excited to see the anachronistic legend, Johnny Unitas. He went down in the first quarter and I saw Earl Morrall instead.
He was as colorful and exciting as drying paint but he got the job done.

Flat top haircut and high top black shoes.
Not very dynamic but he knew how to step in and carry the team. Filled in for Johnny U and Griese and led teams to championships

Was that John Brodie on the Niners?

Flat top haircut and high top black shoes.
Not very dynamic but he knew how to step in and carry the team. Filled in for Johnny U and Griese and led teams to championships

Was that John Brodie on the Niners?
Yup. Went to Stanford. I hate to make everything about me in a six degrees of Kevin Bacon sort of way (not really)
but my team mate on our USTA team that went to the nationals back in the nineties was a Brodie back up at Stanford.
Good athlete and a good fellow.

Forum List

Back