Becoming A Baseball Progressive????

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I always considered myself the very antithesis of a Progressive.....in the political sense.

Some years ago, a wise wonk wrote this:

Conservatives believe that custom and tradition result in individuals living in peace. Law is custom and precedent. Liberals are destroyers of custom and convention. To a conservative, change should be gradual, as the new society is often inferior to the old. We build on the ideas and experience of our ancestors. The species is wiser than the individual (Burke).

Now, although a strong believer in tradition, I find myself agreeing with major alterations in my fav sport....

1. Although umpires and their inconsistencies have long been a part of the sport....they get balls and strikes right about 90% of the time...

MLB umpire Jansen Visconti has the record as most accurate with a 94.3% accuracy record.

...I like the new Atlantic League tech calling:

"Every Atlantic League stadium, including the Patriots’ TD Bank Ballpark in Central New Jersey, now features a TrackMan device perched high above the plate. It uses 3-D Doppler radar to register balls and strikes and relays its “decision” through a secure Wi-Fi network to the umpire, equipped with an iPhone in his pocket connected to a wired earbud. That umpire, positioned behind the plate as normal, hears a man’s voice saying “ball” or “strike” and then signals the verdict."
Now Calling Balls and Strikes: Robot Umpires

Umpires are still responsible for other calls, like swings and plays at the bases.

2. The baseball is different.
No other way to account for the burgeoning home run numbers.....
4400 in 2014 and nearly 8,000 expected this year.
Tighter stitches on the balls is the explanations.

And....I like it.

3. Lots of complaints that some teams are eschewing traditional uniforms for more 'softball type uniforms.'

Screenshot_2015-12-03-23-54-27-1.png

I like the look.

....but Heaven forfend any change of the Yankee pinstripe look......

So...I may be a Progressive in baseball...

...does that make me a bad person??????

Last edited:
I always considered myself the very antithesis of a Progressive.....in the political sense.

Some years ago, a wise wonk wrote this:

Conservatives believe that custom and tradition result in individuals living in peace. Law is custom and precedent. Liberals are destroyers of custom and convention. To a conservative, change should be gradual, as the new society is often inferior to the old. We build on the ideas and experience of our ancestors. The species is wiser than the individual (Burke).

Now, although a strong believer in tradition, I find myself agreeing with major alterations in my fav sport....

1. Although umpires and their inconsistencies have long been a part of the sport....they get balls and strikes right about 90% of the time...

MLB umpire Jansen Visconti has the record as most accurate with a 94.3% accuracy record.

...I like the new Atlantic League tech calling:

"Every Atlantic League stadium, including the Patriots’ TD Bank Ballpark in Central New Jersey, now features a TrackMan device perched high above the plate. It uses 3-D Doppler radar to register balls and strikes and relays its “decision” through a secure Wi-Fi network to the umpire, equipped with an iPhone in his pocket connected to a wired earbud. That umpire, positioned behind the plate as normal, hears a man’s voice saying “ball” or “strike” and then signals the verdict."

Umpires are still responsible for other calls, like swings and plays at the bases.

2. The baseball is different.
No other way to account for the burgeoning home run numbers.....
4400 in 2014 and nearly 8,000 expected this year.
Tighter stitches on the balls is the explanations.

And....I like it.

3. Lots of complaints that some teams are eschewing traditional uniforms for more 'softball type uniforms.'

Screenshot_2015-12-03-23-54-27-1.png

I like the look.

....but Heaven forfend any change of the Yankee pinstripe look......

So...I may be a Progressive in baseball...

...does that make me a bad person??????
I wore a wool uniform on hot summer days-change can be good.

Being conservative just means you tend to prefer tradition, not that nothing must ever change! Some change is necessary and good.

I love baseball but MLB is dead to me after they participated in Obama going to Cuba and giving Castro a blow job in front of the whole world. Despicable!

That is too bad because I had access to season tickets to the Rays games. After the Rays went there I decided to never attend another MLB game.

Being conservative just means you tend to prefer tradition, not that nothing must ever change! Some change is necessary and good.

That same wise wonk I quoted posted more:

1) Conservatives believe that there are moral truths, right and wrong, and that these truths are permanent. The result of infracting these truths will be atrocities and social disaster. Liberals believe in a privatization of morality so complete that no code of conduct is generally accepted, practically to the point of ‘do what you can get away with’. These beliefs are aimed at the gratification of appetites and exhibit anarchistic impulses.

2 ) Conservatives believe that custom and tradition result in individuals living in peace. Law is custom and precedent. Liberals are destroyers of custom and convention. To a conservative, change should be gradual, as the new society is often inferior to the old. We build on the ideas and experience of our ancestors. The species is wiser than the individual (Burke).

a.
From Eric Hoffer in The True Believer, “…people with a sense of fulfillment think it is a good world land would like to conserve it as it is, while the frustrated favor radical change.”
b."… fallacy that something is bad simply because it is old or good because it is new." Logan Albright

3) Liberals are impulsive, and imprudent. They believe in quick changes, and risk new abuses worse than the ‘evils’ that they would sweep away, since remedies are usually not simple. Plato said that prudence is the mark of the statesman. There should be a balance between permanence and change, while liberals see ‘progress’ as some mythical direction for society.

4) Conservatives believe in the principle of variety, while liberal perspectives result in a narrowing uniformity. Conservatives believe in choice of healthcare, education, religion, and various other areas. Under conservative principles, there will be differences in class, material condition and other inequalities. Equality will be of opportunity, not necessarily of result. The only uniformity will be before the law. Society will not be perfect. Consider the results of the rule of ideologues of the last century.

(1) Umpiring should be transparent. "Good" or "bad" umpiring SHOULD NEVER impact the results of a game. A blown call, or a particular umpire's "strike zone" are an abomination. Hence, shifting to electronic B&S calling is a "conservative" development. It purifies the game.

(2) Mid-season trades are also an abomination. The Pirates yesterday traded (gave away) their soon-to-be most-liked player, Cory Dickerson BECAUSE THEY WERE UNWILLING TO NEGOTIATE A MARKET-BASED CONTRACT WITH HIM at the end of the season, and didn't want to take heat from the Pirate fans. Zak Grienke to the Astros? You gotta be fuckin' kidding me! Freeze trades on opening day, and unfreeze the day after the last game of the W.S.

(1) Umpiring should be transparent. "Good" or "bad" umpiring SHOULD NEVER impact the results of a game. A blown call, or a particular umpire's "strike zone" are an abomination. Hence, shifting to electronic B&S calling is a "conservative" development. It purifies the game.

(2) Mid-season trades are also an abomination. The Pirates yesterday traded (gave away) their soon-to-be most-liked player, Cory Dickerson BECAUSE THEY WERE UNWILLING TO NEGOTIATE A MARKET-BASED CONTRACT WITH HIM at the end of the season, and didn't want to take heat from the Pirate fans. Zak Grienke to the Astros? You gotta be fuckin' kidding me! Freeze trades on opening day, and unfreeze the day after the last game of the W.S.

So you are in favor of Robo-Umpires:

Dodgers and Astros have more wins than my Yanks.....at this moment.

But.....

"Since 1969, only 12 teams have claimed baseball's best record and gone on to win the World Series. The New York Yankees have accomplished the feat threetimes, while the Red Sox and the Cincinnati Reds havedone so twice.Sep 30, 2018"
How many teams with season's best record won the World Series? | SI ...

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/09/.../baseball-teams-best-record-win-world-series-red-sox

Alexander Pope wrote, “Hope springs eternal in the human breast: Man never is, but always to be blest.”

Another change coming???

Larger bases???

"‘We’re Lab Rats’: A Baseball League Where Stealing First Is O.K.
The Atlantic League has become an M.L.B. testing ground for ideas that could make the game livelier. Experiments include larger bases and an automated strike zone.

Bases are larger (18 inches square, up from 15).

Carp said he does not notice the larger size of the bases while running, but he can tell up close — and when a routine grounder clipped a corner of the bag recently and squirted away for a hit. The new bases are three inches closer down the line, and four and a half inches closer between first and second and between second and third.

“Bang-bang plays that occurred last year are probably being called safe today,” White said. “Stealing and getting more running in is one of the objectives baseball has. I think over time there will be a subtle but discernible effect.”
‘We’re Lab Rats’: A Baseball League Where Stealing First Is O.K.

Yeah!

Let's do it!!!

Don't get me started on the trend towards brightly colored, no stirrups, mismatching tops and bottoms, straight brimmed hats so fat major league ball players (an alarming trend) look like they indeed are playing for a softball team sponsored by some plumbers or pizza makers.

I am not progressive as a sports fan. The Atlantic league is trying to put people in empty seats.
Bill Veck in the fifties was also a baseball heretic who tried many new things in order to
bring people into the park. He was seen as something of a charlatan.

Don't get me started on the trend towards brightly colored, no stirrups, mismatching tops and bottoms, straight brimmed hats so fat major league ball players (an alarming trend) look like they indeed are playing for a softball team sponsored by some plumbers or pizza makers.

I am not progressive as a sports fan. The Atlantic league is trying to put people in empty seats.
Bill Veck in the fifties was also a baseball heretic who tried many new things in order to
bring people into the park. He was seen as something of a charlatan.

What do you have against midgets????

Forum List

Back