Dick Allen- when men were free

Polishprince

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2016
Allen is one of the all time greats who never made the Hall of Fame. His rebellion against PC here, exercising his freedom to smoke a newport in the dugout in 1972 is what makes the man such a pariah who will never be elected by the pantywaist HOF electors.

The idea of exercising freedom, even when behaving in an un-PC manner, is anathema to modern libs.

You may be cool but you'll never be 1972 Dick Allen smoking a cigarette, juggling baseballs, with huge chops in a dugout during a game cool

Being around smoking adults was like torture when I was a kid, especially on long car trips during the winter. I will never think of smoking as cool. It is a disgusting habit.

Have you ever heard the expression, "virtue signaling"?

It is when you point at someone else who is doing something that you never had any interest in doing, and claiming to be virtuous because you don't do what you have no interest in doing anyway.

Smoking was ubiquitous for many decades in the U.S. and around the world. People enjoyed it (presumably), and did it both socially and individually. The harms were considered minimal, and the evils of "second-hand" smoke were believed to be even less harmful (which is true, by the way).

To pretend that YOU are virtuous because you don't smoke is "virtue signaling." It doesn't speak very well of you. Save it.

Have you ever heard the expression, "virtue signaling"?

It is when you point at someone else who is doing something that you never had any interest in doing, and claiming to be virtuous because you don't do what you have no interest in doing anyway.

Smoking was ubiquitous for many decades in the U.S. and around the world. People enjoyed it (presumably), and did it both socially and individually. The harms were considered minimal, and the evils of "second-hand" smoke were believed to be even less harmful (which is true, by the way).

To pretend that YOU are virtuous because you don't smoke is "virtue signaling." It doesn't speak very well of you. Save it.

All your tribe did was rename shaming 'virtue signaling'. Why not just call it shaming?

Smoking is disgusting.

You are certainly entitled to your own views on this. But back in the day, it was considered liberating. One of the big goals of the Women's Lib movement was the right to smoke and to even have their own cigarette.

Smoking is disgusting.

You are certainly entitled to your own views on this. But back in the day, it was considered liberating. One of the big goals of the Women's Lib movement was the right to smoke and to even have their own cigarette.

If a hot woman, a 10, puts a cigarette in her mouth and starts smoking it, it brings her down to at least a 8 in my book. I usually mind my own business when it comes to smoking; however, the link in you OP implies that smoking is "cool" and this is a discussion board after all. So I'm simply putting in my two cents that my opinion is that smoking is disgusting, not cool.

I was a kid during the 70s. In my world almost all adults were smokers. I had relatives that I would avoid because they were almost always smoking. I detested being in a smoke filled room. Smoking is disgusting.

Thankfully, my older relatives that used to be smokers all have quit. If you are a smoker, please try not to influence those that are younger to start smoking. I know many people that would like to quit smoking. I know no was that wants the habit of smoking.

By the way, smoking is disgusting.

Smoking is disgusting.

If a hot woman, a 10, puts a cigarette in her mouth and starts smoking it, it brings her down to at least a 8 in my book. I usually mind my own business when it comes to smoking; however, the link in you OP implies that smoking is "cool" and this is a discussion board after all. So I'm simply putting in my two cents that my opinion is that smoking is disgusting, not cool.

I was a kid during the 70s. In my world almost all adults were smokers. I had relatives that I would avoid because they were almost always smoking. I detested being in a smoke filled room. Smoking is disgusting.

Thankfully, my older relatives that used to be smokers all have quit. If you are a smoker, please try not to influence those that are younger to start smoking. I know many people that would like to quit smoking. I know no was that wants the habit of smoking.

Smoking may be disgusting, but its a lot less disgusting than someone crapping on the sidewalk and our liberal friends have no problem with that out in San Fran. If a hot chick who is a 10 pulls down her drawers and drops a deuce on the sidewalk, it takes her down to at least a 5 in my book.

I don't smoke, but I don't give a shit if others do. Smoke 'em if you got 'em. Although they should definitely know that a lot of people (like yourself) would rather they not.

I used to watch him at Connie Mack stadium when he was "Richie" Allen, his first time with the Phillies. He would hit home runs completely out of the park onto the rooftops of homes in North Philly. He used a 42 ounce bat.

Last edited:
I used to watch him at Connie Mack stadium when he was "Richie" Allen, his first time with the Phillies. He would hit home runs completely out of the park onto the rooftops of homes in North Philly. He used a 42 ounce bat.
Richie Allen is a story to tell. He left Philly not in a good way. Came back several years later and left in a forgiving one.

Smoking is disgusting.

Smoking may be disgusting, but its a lot less disgusting than someone crapping on the sidewalk and our liberal friends have no problem with that out in San Fran. If a hot chick who is a 10 pulls down her drawers and drops a deuce on the sidewalk, it takes her down to at least a 5 in my book.

I don't smoke, but I don't give a shit if others do. Smoke 'em if you got 'em. Although they should definitely know that a lot of people (like yourself) would rather they not.

I don't care if they do as long as its not around me.

I agree, crapping on the sidewalk is disgusting. If I'm virtue signaling by saying that, so be it.

Forum List

Back