Next Up: a "Flat Tax" for the Rich

We could probably cut the military budget in half...or by 2/3rds..and still be able to more then protect our homeland.

Invasions? Well we couldn't do that so easily anymore.
Could we use the Pentagon to build high speed freight/ passenger rail lines AND universal high speed fiber optic internet from Maine to Maui?

In other words, is Unemployment a National Security issue?

If we bring the troops home, shouldn't we have jobs waiting?

This is interesting. I found an article in the New York Times about how the founders and in the early history of this country...the military was used to build infrastructure. That sort of changed after Vietnam.

And it's not a bad idea...to bring back.

We could probably cut the military budget in half...or by 2/3rds..and still be able to more then protect our homeland.

Could we use the Pentagon to build high speed freight/ passenger rail lines AND universal high speed fiber optic internet from Maine to Maui?

Or maybe we could just let the people who earned that money, which is now being wasted, keep it for themselves, to best decide how to spend, save or invest.

Or maybe we could just let the people who earned that money, which is now being wasted, keep it for themselves, to best decide how to spend, save or invest.

This taxless, governmentless, society you speak of is most interesting. Does it come with people sporting mohawks, dressed in black leather, riding around the desert on crudely fashioned motorcars and bikes fighting for oil?

Subtitled: "The Endless Thanksgiving" Michael Hudson chronicles the regressive tax shift off wealth onto wage earner beginning with the 1982 Greenspan Commission ploy "of moving the cost of Social Security and Medicare out of the general budget (where it would have to be financed by taxpayers in the higher brackets) onto the bottom of the scale..."

The former Wall Street Economist and current professor at UMKC then pulls out his short-term crystal ball:

"The danger the United States faces today is that the government debt crisis scheduled to hit Congress next spring (when Republicans are threatening to vote against raising the federal debt limit as the government deficit soars) will provide an opportunity for the wealthy to give a coup de grace on what is left of progressive taxation in this country.

"A flat tax on wage income and consumer sales would 'free' the rentiers from taxes on their property.

"All governments have to levy taxes – that is, they have to tax somebody.

"Naturally, the super-rich would like this tax to be shifted off their shoulders onto those who have to work for a living.

"In diametric opposition to Adam Smith and other putative 'founding fathers' of 'free market' neoliberalism, the super-rich want to shift taxes off 'free lunch' economic rent – off interest, dividends, rents and capital gains – onto wage-earners."

"This tax shift already has been underway for the past thirty years.

" It has doubled the proportion of the returns to wealth (interest, dividends, rents and capital gains) enjoyed by the wealthiest 1 per cent, from a reported one-third in 1979 to an estimated two-thirds of the U.S. total today.

Look for a "fiscal 9/11" around Mothers Day with Alan Simpson headlining as "tax cutter" rather than "tax shifter."

Think Obama will fold?

Hudson? Again?..Sheesh.
Are you objecting to Hudson's career as a Wall Street Economist or his current job at the University of Missouri K.C.?

Do you think he's wrong when he claims a tax shift that's been underway for over thirty years "has doubled the proportion of the return to wealth (interest, dividends, rents, and capital gains) enjoyed by the wealthiest 1 per cent from a reported one-third in 1979 to an estimated two-thirds of the US total today."?

Flat Tax

"Protect our homeland" what fucking homeland? We have no borders. No fucking borders no fucking homeland. Next?

"Protect our homeland" what fucking homeland? We have no borders. No fucking borders no fucking homeland. Next?

They just have no clue do they?

This is interesting. I found an article in the New York Times about how the founders and in the early history of this country...the military was used to build infrastructure. That sort of changed after Vietnam.

I've recently read the private corporations that built the Transcontinental Railroads also turned to the army for help in ways besides killing Indians.

I think there's still an emphasis on engineering at all three military academies; however I'm not so sure the Pentagon would agree to any stinking audits if they did take the job.

Finally, if it's true that one in five dollars in circulation is some congressional districts comes from "defense" spending, we have the find definitions for defense that don't require traveling thousands of miles from home to kill people, break their shit and then put it all back together again.

Subtitled: "The Endless Thanksgiving" Michael Hudson chronicles the regressive tax shift off wealth onto wage earner beginning with the 1982 Greenspan Commission ploy "of moving the cost of Social Security and Medicare out of the general budget (where it would have to be financed by taxpayers in the higher brackets) onto the bottom of the scale..."

The former Wall Street Economist and current professor at UMKC then pulls out his short-term crystal ball:

"The danger the United States faces today is that the government debt crisis scheduled to hit Congress next spring (when Republicans are threatening to vote against raising the federal debt limit as the government deficit soars) will provide an opportunity for the wealthy to give a coup de grace on what is left of progressive taxation in this country.

"A flat tax on wage income and consumer sales would 'free' the rentiers from taxes on their property.

"All governments have to levy taxes – that is, they have to tax somebody.

"Naturally, the super-rich would like this tax to be shifted off their shoulders onto those who have to work for a living.

"In diametric opposition to Adam Smith and other putative 'founding fathers' of 'free market' neoliberalism, the super-rich want to shift taxes off 'free lunch' economic rent – off interest, dividends, rents and capital gains – onto wage-earners."

"This tax shift already has been underway for the past thirty years.

" It has doubled the proportion of the returns to wealth (interest, dividends, rents and capital gains) enjoyed by the wealthiest 1 per cent, from a reported one-third in 1979 to an estimated two-thirds of the U.S. total today.

Look for a "fiscal 9/11" around Mothers Day with Alan Simpson headlining as "tax cutter" rather than "tax shifter."

Think Obama will fold?

Hudson? Again?..Sheesh.
Are you objecting to Hudson's career as a Wall Street Economist or his current job at the University of Missouri K.C.?

Do you think he's wrong when he claims a tax shift that's been underway for over thirty years "has doubled the proportion of the return to wealth (interest, dividends, rents, and capital gains) enjoyed by the wealthiest 1 per cent from a reported one-third in 1979 to an estimated two-thirds of the US total today."?

Flat Tax

I read this guy's tripe. He's a typical left wing anti-capitalist pro central planning liberal elitist.
I bet he lives quite comfortably.
What galls me about guys like Hudson is his "Screw you ,I have mine" attitude. He favors wealth confiscation as long as he can slide under the radar and keep his.

I've recently read the private corporations that built the Transcontinental Railroads also turned to the army for help in ways besides killing Indians.

I think there's still an emphasis on engineering at all three military academies; however I'm not so sure the Pentagon would agree to any stinking audits if they did take the job.

Finally, if it's true that one in five dollars in circulation is some congressional districts comes from "defense" spending, we have the find definitions for defense that don't require traveling thousands of miles from home to kill people, break their shit and then put it all back together again.

Ayup.

Maybe if we actually started building things again..we'd be back on top.

Just sayin..

Do you favor "user fees" over "taxation"?

"Instead of being treated as 'entitlements' paid by the highest tax brackets, it is treated as 'user fees' by employees with a cut-off (currently about $102,000) for higher-income earners.

"The pre-saved 'Social Security fund' was invested in Treasury bills and then lent to the government – enabling it to cut taxes on the higher brackets.

"'Social Security and Medicare' became a euphemism for giving the government enough 'forced saving' of labor so that the Treasury could cut taxes on the higher income and wealth brackets.'"

Flat Tax
No. The federal government raided the SS Trust fund and used it for , creative accounting and spend it on other stuff.
It was easy. Take the money and use it elsewhere. No one ever thought the PONZI scheme that is SS would ever run out of poor idiots( us workers) to contribute to it.
The system is broken and is about to be broke.
This story has been repeated in state after state that looted their pension funds to cover insane overspending. Now states such as California and New Jersey cannot pay their government employee benefits. Brilliant!
I think you and Hudson are on the same page when you say "..the federal government raided the SS Trust fund and used it for, creative accounting and spent it on other stuff."

Hudson explains that was done by investing the Social Security fund in Treasuries and then lending those bills back to the government.(I'm not clear on where the Fed comes into this picture, but I'm sure they do.)

This "raid" was sold to the public in the early 80s as a way of building up a SS surplus for the baby boomer's retirement. There were a few voices in the wilderness at that time screaming fraud but no one paid attention and there was NO internet to spread the word.

There also wasn't much linkage to tax cuts in the higher brackets.

While the states can't print money and have to balance their budgets, North Dakota began doing business as the State Bank of North Dakota in 1919, and they're currently one of two states without a deficit and the only state with more jobs than job seekers.

See: Ellen Brown's Web of Debt if you're interested.

They just have no clue do they?

No, they do not.

Thier Social agenda isn't mandated...Military is...so what to cut? Naturally the military.

These idiots will lop off their own noses to spite their face...and be proud of broadcasting it to the world.

The only Constitutional mandate is a permanent navy..and an army formed from militia, funds from which must be voted on every 2 years. There's no air force..either.

And there's as much a mandate to promote the general welfare and commerce..as there is one for a permanent navy..and temporary standing army.

Last edited:
No, they do not.

Thier Social agenda isn't mandated...Military is...so what to cut? Naturally the military.

These idiots will lop off their own noses to spite their face...and be proud of broadcasting it to the world.
Why not put the US military to work in their homeland building and protecting infranstructure?

Because we already have people here for that.

*NEXT*

Put a few thousand on the borders as we close them tickles my fancy however.

This taxless, governmentless, society you speak of is most interesting. Does it come with people sporting mohawks, dressed in black leather, riding around the desert on crudely fashioned motorcars and bikes fighting for oil?
Typically weak attempt at the strawman, sport...Even for you.

Just because I'm against bloated, expensive, overbearing and micromanaging gubmint doesn't mean that I'm for none at all.

Try again.

Forum List

Back