New Yorker Cover pisses off Obama camp

The reason the supporters of Obama are outraged is because he is the "Savior" he is special, no one can crack a joke about him and by GOD they will not post images like this even in satire about him.

I mean ask the dumb shits on this board that support him, what his positions are. They can't answer, cause he has none. They are all gone vote for him cause he is black and a Democrat. Not sure which is more important to them though.

I'm reluctant (yes, really!) to get into the deeper domestic debate because, apart from US foreign policy, it's none of my business. However I will - as someone slightly to the left of centre - say that any candidate that is trading on charisma and lofty promises will always disappoint. If someone isn't being elected on firm policies then re-thinks are needed. And that goes for all candidates.

He's a very thin-skinned, petty man.

A dear friend of mine (who unfortunately is an Obamabot and DNC loyalist, that is to say, hopeless) was bragging to me about some new website the BHO campaign put up called fight the smears. I'm embarrassed to say that I actually bothered to look it up.

Talk about childish :rolleyes:

Fight the Smears | Barack Obama Loves His Flag and His Country

Gotta love the URL :rofl:

This guy has a very severe personality disorder and IMO is 100% unfit for office :cuckoo:

I'd have to disagree there. I think the Obama campaign has learned from Kerry's mistakes. I couldn't believe that Kerry ignored the Swiftboaters. I mean, there I was, staring at my computer a few years ago and yelling at him to do something about the smears. But did he listen to me? Noooooo - and look what happened! I told him, he just wouldn't listen. :D

Nope, Obama is trying to head off the smears. He won't win the wingnut vote so he's not target his anti-smears at wingnut - sorry I shouldn't keep writing that - right wing voters, but he wants to make the undecideds clear that he is being smeared with bullshit.

I don't know. I can understand posting the truth to prove the rumors false, but "Watch Obama Lead the Pledge?" Something about that makes me squirm.

I don't know. I can understand posting the truth to prove the rumors false, but "Watch Obama Lead the Pledge?" Something about that makes me squirm.

If your patriotism is challenged and you're a politician then you will go out of your way to demonstrate your hyper-patriotism. As they say, 'nothing succeeds like excess'.

Maybe. It's not going to convince anyone that doesn't already support him and he looks like a monkey dancing on a string to appease the right.

I don't know how it goes in the US but here the received wisdom is that in politics you have to grab the centre to have a chance of taking government. That leads to some awful policy gymnastics.

Maybe. It's not going to convince anyone that doesn't already support him and he looks like a monkey dancing on a string to appease the right.

Ohh my GOD, you just called him a MONKEY? Don't let any Obama supporters hear that, see that or smell that.

Ravi is just a victim of my long memory. A little bit ago everyone ( except Ravi) had a fit that someone called Obama an ape.

I wasa called an ape once. I thought it was pretty good, "ape", sort of pumped up the testosterone. :D

Of course the rest of it was a bit of a downer - criticism of my intelligence, doubts about how I came into the world (for the record I was born and not hatched) and exactly what would happen to my career (fortune-telling used to be illegal, not now).

You know how waterproof a duck's back is? :cool:

In the interest of humor please let us know your nationality, religion, ethnic background and those of your wife and grandparents so we can engage in irony and humor. Is your surname Hispanic, Jewish, or Polish, is your wife, don't forget it's all in fun. Smile, we aren't perpetuating stereotypes we're really just being humorous. My own children are Polish Hispanic and Austrian, their maternal grandmother is Jewish. Imagine the fun stereotyping them. Not only are they dumb but they control the world while stealing hubcaps as they rationalize an economics of social darwinism. You should have such children!

So just remember it is irony, humor, you know satire? Any Blacks out there on welfare who drive a Cadillac? Any Jews running the world from the backroom? Hispanics stealing cars, dumb Pollocks, rednecks, hicks, elitists, Brits with bad teeth....

Obama's camp would not be concerned, if it were not true.

That's untrue. Perception is everything in politics.

And implying that cover was "true" is simply a fabrication.... a right wing fantasy. (although it does kind of prove the New Yorkers point about the bizarreness of the rabid right)

Get a grip people. The magazine frequently does satire and puts satirical covers on its magazine. Think of it as a highbrow version of The Onion.

I don't remember Hillary supporters boohooing when they did one of her. Or Bush supporters boohooing when they did several of him.

People calling it "satire" haven't read the accompanying article - which is very good BTW - and it's about as close to a hatchet job against a lefty as you'll see in The New Yorker. Ryan Lizza shows conclusively that Obama is just another career politician with no core beliefs, and will adopt whatever position is the most politically expedient.

The Political Scene: Making It: Reporting & Essays: The New Yorker

Be sure to check the audio on the top left as well.

I base this on nothing, really, but I can't help but wonder if the New Yorker is at all bitter about the defeat of their senator in the primaries.

Forum List

Back