Bush lifts executive ban on offshore oil drilling

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Manuel, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Manuel

Manuel *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Bush lifts executive ban on offshore oil drilling - CNN.com

2. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
  3. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    It will prove effective too. Now the only thing standing in the way of Drilling is Democrats in congress.

4. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Everyone already knows everything is Canada's fault.

I love the South Park movie where the politicians and newsheads keep saying, "We've already apologized for Bryan Adams!"

5. Steerpike

Steerpike VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +182
    "..and that bitch Anne Murray too."

6. Tech_Esq

Tech_Esq Sic Semper Tyrannis!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +558
    I doubt it. The Dems have too much to lose to cave on drilling. Their constituency is firmly in the "alternative energy is the only way" camp. And let's not forget the "eco-nuts" no way they would support drilling. Not when there is a one-winged, two-legged purple beetle that could be harmed, maybe, because of it.

7. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    Well thats kinda my point isn't it. If they do not cave, In the face of a large majority of people being in favor of Drilling, it will hurt the Dems at the polls. Which I assume is why Bush lifted the Executive ban, to try and place the blame for not drilling at the feet of Democrats.

8. Tech_Esq

Tech_Esq Sic Semper Tyrannis!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +558
    I think your analysis is correct, but it will require republicans to nationalize the election and have an aggressive message to actually take the Dems to task on the point. This year the Repubs have shown they are in complete disarray. They have no stomach for anything decisive. Even if McCain manages a win, he'll have major democrat coattails.

Not what I hope happens, but it's what I think will happen.

9. JimH52

JimH52 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,266
    The GOP could score some big points on this one. The majority of Americans now see a need for off shore drilling. If the GOP pushes the Dems to the wall, they might win or at least keep their seats in Congress.

10. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    I would not be surprised if the democrates waivered on this one. It's that time of the election cycle where the pandering really begins. The two candidates are doing it already. Apparently they think there's something to gain.

It's all going to depend on the spin afterward. The dems could be in a lose, lose situation. If they block it, McCain would be wise to take the 'dems are makeing the economy worse' ball and run with it. And as was eluded to earlier the dems will be in pretty hot water with the fringe left if they vote it through.

As to whether or not this is a good idea, of course it is. In financial terms and prices at the pump we are kinda putting the noose around our own necks. There is no reason to not use what we can readily get at right now. Oil somehow has got this 'dirty' reputation. even though technology, from drilling to auto emissions, has curbed pollution significantly. To the point that when people scream about the environmental impact they are really making mountains of mole hills.

I hope the next administration is able to strike a balance between using what we have available and R&D on alternative fuels. We're all aware that the oil won't last forever and most likely in our lifetimes it is the now third world and developing nations taht will be the largest consumers of it, not the U.S.