New York to London in 3 ½ hours? United says it'll be possible with new supersonic jet.

• Banned
^
United Airlines hopes to zoom travelers across the globe in half the time it takes today with an order for new supersonic jets.

But don't expect to book the sure-to-be pricey flights, à la the Concorde, anytime soon.

The airline on Thursday announced a deal with Denver-based startup Boom Supersonic for 15 of its "Overture'' jets and an option for 35 more. The plane hasn't been built and still requires government approval.

That "100% sustainable jet fuel" thing is uhm..concerning to me.

Sounds like Solyndra smoke & mirrrors, although I do know a new stronger and more

efficient jet engine is almost in production.

• Banned
That "100% sustainable jet fuel" thing is uhm..concerning to me.

Sounds like Solyndra smoke & mirrrors, although I do know a new stronger and more

efficient jet engine is almost in production.

I was at the The Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center last year, talking to some guy about all this, who told me they are well into research and production of a new supersonic plane.

A couple of main issues seem to be the noise (sonic boom, most European countries banned Concorde because of this) and overheating.

Will supersonic take to the skies again?

No ...

Not because of technological barriers, but because we aren't the same society that we were in the 1960's that got excited about breaking the sound barrier, or putting men into space, or going to the moon.

We are now a society of pessimists, whiners, and Luddites. We fret about noise pollution, carbon footprints, spotted owls, and ... most especially ... the idea that rich people can do something the rest of us can't (because hyper-sonic transports between NY and London won't be cheap).

• Banned
No ...

Not because of technological barriers, but because we aren't the same society that we were in the 1960's that got excited about breaking the sound barrier, or putting men into space, or going to the moon.

We are now a society of pessimists, whiners, and Luddites. We fret about noise pollution, carbon footprints, spotted owls, and ... most especially ... the idea that rich people can do something the rest of us can't (because hyper-sonic transports between NY and London won't be cheap).

I’d love to fly from Frankfurt to DC in one hour. :p

I’d love to fly from Frankfurt to DC in one hour. :p

These people won't let you ...

kavanaugh_blasey_ford_democrt_smear_campaign_500x293.gif

Of course Heathrow to JFK can be done in 3-1/2 hours ... that's old technology ... it's not done because it's so expensive ... the Concorde was heavily subsidized by France and the UK governments ... so even the Rich won't pay for that service ...

No ...

They'd still have to have the anal probe and all their luggage ripped open by the TSA to board. :rolleyes-41:

I have not flown since they started that shit. An older relative had the silk lining of her 35 year old at the time Samsonite dressing case

I had seen all my life ripped out by the TSA though.

With the way the TSA does, the fuckin' terrorists won.

They'd still have to have the anal probe and all their luggage ripped open by the TSA to board. :rolleyes-41:

I have not flown since they started that shit. An older relative had the silk lining of her 35 year old at the time Samsonite dressing case

I had seen all my life ripped out by the TSA though.

With the way the TSA does, the fuckin' terrorists won.

I stopped flying then as well, but I haven't felt the lack. I feel deeply sorry for those whose lives demand that they submit to the
terrorism of the TSA and the USA (so-called) Patriot Act.

Forum List

Back