New Viking Site in North America?

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Looking forward to seeing this.

New Viking site in North America? Experts eye satellite data for potential discovery | Fox News

Archaeologists have used satellite imagery to identify a site in Newfoundland that could be the first new Viking site discovered in North America in over 50 years.

Satellite imagery, magnetometer surveys, and a preliminary excavation of the site at Point Rosee in Southern Newfoundland last year could point to a potentially fascinating discovery.

The only other Viking site in North America was found in the 1960s at L’Anse Aux Meadows on the northern tip of Newfoundland, about 300 miles from Point Rosee.

Maybe they could do a fly over Oak Island and put that place to rest.

I watched some show and they were trying to prove that the Vikings made it all the way to Minnesota. Lots of circumstantial evidence, but nothing concrete so far.

I watched some show and they were trying to prove that the Vikings made it all the way to Minnesota. Lots of circumstantial evidence, but nothing concrete so far.

Over 35 years ago I was in OK talking to an "old" by my then standards archeologist that i just happened to meet. She said then that in OK there are rune stones and mooring stones from the Vikings. I googled it and there are but they are under debate as to what they really are.

I can't believe the white supremacist defects haven't set upon this thread yet.

I find it interesting how archaeologist can spot even slight abnormalities to the lay of the land to pick sites for their further investigations.

They use ground penetrating radar and similar, pretty complicated stuff - like x-ray except without all the cancer heh They found a /massive/ 6km impact structure under the ice on Antarctica - theory is that is the impact that caused the extinction that allowed Dinosaurs to come to power.

Over 35 years ago I was in OK talking to an "old" by my then standards archeologist that i just happened to meet. She said then that in OK there are rune stones and mooring stones from the Vikings. I googled it and there are but they are under debate as to what they really are.

There's some interesting stuff out there for sure, but apparently they can't really "prove" a lot of it because there's only so far geological archeology can go to establish the age of an stone artifact. I find the "Aztec's came from NA" very interesting, not sure why there is such a resistance to examining it - it feeds into the migration theories and doesn't really break any other "history" but the community still rejects even entertaining the idea ~shrug~

It doesn't count because the Vikings didn't give smallpox to the Indians or bring over slaves from Africa.

The world would be very different if the Vikings had started permanent colonies in the New World. I'd guess we all would be speaking in Swedish, and Swedish meat balls would be the national dish.

There were almost certainly some Vikings that stayed and joined with Native tribes.

I find it interesting how archaeologist can spot even slight abnormalities to the lay of the land to pick sites for their further investigations.

They use ground penetrating radar and similar, pretty complicated stuff - like x-ray except without all the cancer heh They found a /massive/ 6km impact structure under the ice on Antarctica - theory is that is the impact that caused the extinction that allowed Dinosaurs to come to power.

There's some interesting stuff out there for sure, but apparently they can't really "prove" a lot of it because there's only so far geological archeology can go to establish the age of an stone artifact. I find the "Aztec's came from NA" very interesting, not sure why there is such a resistance to examining it - it feeds into the migration theories and doesn't really break any other "history" but the community still rejects even entertaining the idea ~shrug~

I am not sure why anyone would have migrated across the Bering straight. In order to do so it would have been very cold. I am not sure how they would have survived or why they would have wanted to migrate. I guess given enough time anything is possible.

It doesn't count because the Vikings didn't give smallpox to the Indians or bring over slaves from Africa.

How do you know that? BTW, no one "gave" smallpox to the Native Americans, as in giving a gife.

Over 35 years ago I was in OK talking to an "old" by my then standards archeologist that i just happened to meet. She said then that in OK there are rune stones and mooring stones from the Vikings. I googled it and there are b
I know what you're talking about. I've been there and worked with the local lady who was investigating an upright slab of stone with markings on it. It's called the Heavner (OK) Runestone and was believed to be of Viking origin.

Forum List

Back