New Thinking on Fighting Poverty..ANYONE??

dilloduck said:
LMAO--this sounds like an idea that WJ would come up with--congratulations!

That's largely how public housing is organized here too. Public housing projects are in nice areas, that were once on the city's boarders. The same can be found in bigger cities, such as Vacouver, Toronto, Montreal.

Said1 said:
That's largely how public housing is organized here too. Public housing projects are in nice areas, that were once on the city's boarders. The same can be found in bigger cities, such as Vacouver, Toronto, Montreal.

Major problem. Many of the suburbs simply don't have the public transportation that would allow these people access to jobs. Why would we want to keep them down by moving them specifically to an area without one of their lifelines?

no1tovote4 said:
I added to the post on edit, I will copy and paste what I added here....

Moving the ghettos to the suburbs is your idea to deal with poverty? Please, location of the ghetto will make no difference.

Poor is a mindset, those that believe that they cannot acheive are right, those that think that they can acheive are also right. What needs to happen is people must choose leaders that believe that they can acheive rather than the current lot of "poor-mees" and "itsyourfaultsnotmines" that are currently leaders of that particular ethnic minority.

We agree on this point because we are Buddhists and Buddhism stresses self reliance.

Blacks have a sense of entitlement because we've trained them to. Guys like dillo and Joyce are the same. They have a sense of entitlement because they think this is supposed to be a white country. That's why they snivel and whine about minorities whether they succeed at something or fail.

Nuc said:
We agree on this point because we are Buddhists and Buddhism stresses self reliance.

Blacks have a sense of entitlement because we've trained them to. Guys like dillo and Joyce are the same. They have a sense of entitlement because they think this is supposed to be a white country. That's why they snivel and whine about minorities whether they succeed at something or fail.

I have NEVER said this should be a white country--that would be Joyce. You could at least try to use the truth when you attempt to refute me.
and FYI, I have been working at the Red Cross/FEMA shelter in Austin for 3 weeks finding BLACK people homes, financial aid, food, transportation, counseling and medical help.

dilloduck said:
I have NEVER said this should be a white country--that would be Joyce. You could at least try to use the truth when you attempt to refute me.
and FYI, I have been working at the Red Cross/FEMA shelter in Austin for 3 weeks finding BLACK people homes, financial aid, food, transportation, counseling and medical help.

Sorry for misinterpreting you. I have heard you bitch ad infinitum about Hispanics and then you agreed with Joyce, so I assumed you were a racist. Keep up the good work at the shelters. I am also doing my part.

no1tovote4 said:
Major problem. Many of the suburbs simply don't have the public transportation that would allow these people access to jobs. Why would we want to keep them down by moving them specifically to an area without one of their lifelines?

The city's public transportation system actually reaches communities that are beyond the city's limits and public housing projects. The bigger cities have subway systems to compliment other transit systems, they've never been cut off from their pubic transport life lines.

Nuc said:
Sorry for misinterpreting you. I have heard you bitch ad infinitum about Hispanics and then you agreed with Joyce, so I assumed you were a racist. Keep up the good work at the shelters. I am also doing my part.

Hope you learned not to be so quick to judge. I would bitch about ANY group of illegal alliens who are allowed to take over our country. In Texas they just happen to all be Mexicans.

Said1 said:
The city's public transportation system actually reaches communities that are beyond the city's limits and public housing projects. The bigger cities have subway systems to compliment other transit systems, they've never been cut off from their pubic transport life lines.

Canada is also ahead of America. Here we allowed the automobile manufacturers to buy the public transit systems and dismantle them.

Nuc said:
Canada is also ahead of America. Here we allowed the automobile manufacturers to buy the public transit systems and dismantle them.
Canada also did not have a violent civil war that involved slavery.

Nuc said:

How much does it cost to ride the bus where you are? In this city it's 2.85 CDN. The cost of efficiency maybe? :laugh:

dilloduck said:
Canada also did not have a violent civil war that involved slavery.

But, many, many Canadians still walk around with that sense of entitlement mentioned a few posts up.

Anyway, I was just drawing a comparison between two similar public housing systems. Canada is actually in the process of moving away from suburban project housing, seeing as it was more of a liability than an asset.

Said1 said:
How much does it cost to ride the bus where you are? In this city it's 2.85 CDN. The cost of efficiency maybe? :laugh:

$1.75 US per ride or $13 for a weekly pass. We had a tremendous tram system which was bought and dismantled by GM in the 50's.

Said1 said:
But, many, many Canadians still walk around with that sense of entitlement mentioned a few posts up.

Anyway, I was just drawing a comparison between two similar public housing systems. Canada is actually in the process of moving away from suburban project housing, seeing as it was more of a liability than an asset.

Since poor people actually PREFER to live together, there will NATURALLY always be a large population of them in one area of town. I see no way around that. I still am more interested in why they remain poor, choose to stay that way, and defy trillions of dollars spent to try to get them to play the economic game of working enough to care for yourself.

Said1 said:

Right, but in order to implement such a thing here we would need to add many, many new lines. You would not believe the sprawl you see here. The cost would be unproductive for what I can see no gain whatsoever. The only reason to do this is to make the cities look prettier. I can think of better ways to spend tax money.

dilloduck said:
Since poor people actually PREFER to live together, there will NATURALLY always be a large population of them in one area of town. I see no way around that. I still am more interested in why they remain poor, choose to stay that way, and defy trillions of dollars spent to try to get them to play the economic game of working enough to care for yourself.

Wouldn't it make more sense to say that say poor people will live where they can afford, instead of preferring to live together?

What's with the caps??

no1tovote4 said:
Right, but in order to implement such a thing here we would need to add many, many new lines. You would not believe the sprawl you see here. The cost would be unproductive for what I can see no gain whatsoever. The only reason to do this is to make the cities look prettier. I can think of better ways to spend tax money.
Mass transportation also assumes that poor people are just dying for transportation to get that job they want so badly. How will tranportation make change the financial status of the poor if they do not feel it necessary to be responsible for thenselves:?

no1tovote4 said:

Why aren't new lines being added as communities grow? Urban planners still have to consider the need for public transport, regardless of who is living in the "sprawl". Pubic transport isn't for the poor only.

Like I said, there are buses that go way beyond city limits as it is, and more are added as rural becomes more suburban.

dilloduck said:
Mass transportation also assumes that poor people are just dying for transportation to get that job they want so badly. How will tranportation make change the financial status of the poor if they do not feel it necessary to be responsible for thenselves:?

Mass transportation is not used by the poor exclusively and benefits more than just the poor. Giving a hand up by implementing mass transportation systems used by all people (if they are effective transportation systems this will be the case, the less effective the system the more likely those with means will avoid it) is not often seen as a welfare program but more often as a benefit to the city in question, it alleviates problems with parking and encourages tourism.

I only mention it because of the effective isolation that would ensue if they were moved to an area without an effective transportation system. If they were moved to an outside area either an effective system would need to be built where they were moved to or we would simply be putting an unnecessary burden upon them.

Specifically where I live there is no effective way to introduce mass transport to the suburban areas. It would not be cost effective and thus would effect a further isolation as well as almost no access to jobs.

Said1 said:
Why aren't new lines being added as communities grow? Urban planners still have to consider the need for public transport, regardless of who is living in the "sprawl". Pubic transport isn't for the poor only.

Like I said, there are buses that go way beyond city limits as it is, and more are added as rural becomes more suburban.

2 different subjects-----efficient urban transportation and poverty.
Americans love the freedom they have when they drive their own cars--it's as simple as that.

Forum List

Back