New space race: Could Musk's gain be "Russia"'s loss?

Litwin

Platinum Member
Sep 3, 2017
GDL&Sweden
Muscovy is becoming more and more "Nigeria in snow" , how fast Musk kills Muscovite all space programs? which left of them ...

There is no 'Space Race' ... humans haven't left low-earth-orbit for fifty years.

That would be like trying to race jet boats in a wading pool...

16a0aa71ce242181c64c6e29ad58e344.jpg

There is no 'Space Race' ... humans haven't left low-earth-orbit for fifty years.

That would be like trying to race jet boats in a wading pool...

16a0aa71ce242181c64c6e29ad58e344.jpg

whats about Musk´s "commercial space exploration" vs . Putin´s outdated USSR "space" technologies ?

18869139_303.jpg

Don't get me wrong ... I'm no Luddite. I grew up during the Space Race. I watched every launch, every landing. I scrapbooked hundreds of newspaper articles. I built every model and bought every toy. I chose a career in technology and got my pilot's license because I wanted to be ready for the eventual colonization of space. As I grew up, I stayed a fan of the various Treks and Wars and waited with eager anticipation for my turn go where only a few men had gone before.

I watched the American space program die. I watched Americans playing golf on the moon instead of laying the groundwork for any future exploration. I watched as the infrastructure of space turned into a rusting pile of ruins in a Florida swamp. I watched NASA transform to 'Go for the Moon' to a climate change cheerleader.

The reasons for the failure of the Space Program are many but the largest was money. It's the most expensive things humans can do.

The Apollo Program spent more than 20 Billion dollars for 12 men to walk on the moon and bring back a few hundred pounds of rocks that sit moldering in various museums. We left nothing in our wake but footprints and some of our discarded space craft.

Musk's publicity stunt isn't anything new. It's the same rocket technology that put Sputnik into orbit 60 plus years ago and it still comes with a staggering price tag of $1,600 per KG of payload to Low Earth Orbit ... only slightly less than the $2,000 per KG of the 1960's vintage Saturn V for the same orbit.

Before we start getting excited about Falcon Heavy taking us back to the moon ... the payload capacity of the FH is only 36,000 Kgs to Trans-Lunar-Injection (TLI) Orbit -- compared to a Saturn V TLI payload of 110,000 Kgs.

Trans-Mars-Injection (TMI) Orbit payload is a meager 16,000 Kgs. -- Less than a third of the payload of a 18-wheel truck -- at a cost of $100,000,000 per launch. How many trucks do you imagine it would take to set up a self-sufficient colony on Mars?

Don't get me wrong ... I'm no Luddite. I grew up during the Space Race. I watched every launch, every landing. I scrapbooked hundreds of newspaper articles. I built every model and bought every toy. I chose a career in technology and got my pilot's license because I wanted to be ready for the eventual colonization of space. As I grew up, I stayed a fan of the various Treks and Wars and waited with eager anticipation for my turn go where only a few men had gone before.

I watched the American space program die. I watched Americans playing golf on the moon instead of laying the groundwork for any future exploration. I watched as the infrastructure of space turned into a rusting pile of ruins in a Florida swamp. I watched NASA transform to 'Go for the Moon' to a climate change cheerleader.

The reasons for the failure of the Space Program are many but the largest was money. It's the most expensive things humans can do.

The Apollo Program spent more than 20 Billion dollars for 12 men to walk on the moon and bring back a few hundred pounds of rocks that sit moldering in various museums. We left nothing in our wake but footprints and some of our discarded space craft.

Musk's publicity stunt isn't anything new. It's the same rocket technology that put Sputnik into orbit 60 plus years ago and it still comes with a staggering price tag of $1,600 per KG of payload to Low Earth Orbit ... only slightly less than the $2,000 per KG of the 1960's vintage Saturn V for the same orbit.
ok, whats about "commercial space exploration"? will Musk change rules of the game in "commercial space exploration"?

ok, whats about "commercial space exploration"? will Musk change rules of the game in "commercial space exploration"?

Unless he can change the law of gravity, there is no commercial space exploration.

It costs what it costs to put people and equipment into space with chemical rockets.

All the publicity in the world isn't going to change that.

Unless he can change the law of gravity, there is no commercial space exploration.

It costs what it costs to put people and equipment into space with chemical rockets.

All the publicity in the world isn't going to change that.

ok, whats about commercial satellites , etc. will Must take over Muscovite 15% share of this market ?

Forum List

Back