New Law: Virginia will not cooperate with NDAA detention

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Kevin_Kennedy, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    New Law: Virginia will not cooperate with NDAA detention – Tenth Amendment Center

Hopefully more states follow suit.

2. LibertyForAll

LibertyForAll Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Kudos to Virginia! :clap2:

I wonder how far the Fed will go to force compliance if it comes down to it.

3. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,438
    One of the most encouraging fights happening in the Republican Party right now is the GOP-controlled House's efforts to strip President Barack Obama's National Defense Authorization Act of its indefinite detention provision.

The House Republicans who are now challenging the NDAA and indefinite detention represent a conservative movement that is rediscovering its traditionally conservative constitutional fidelity. This is the conservatism of Sen. Robert Taft, Barry Goldwater, and Ronald Reagan, not the right-wing authoritarianism of George W. Bush and Dick Cheney that was mistaken for conservatism from 2001 to 2008.

And it is the Left that now becomes the most authoritarian. Once a critic of our foreign policy and highly questionable "national security" measures, Obama has signed into law an act so unconstitutional it makes Bush and Cheney look like ACLU lawyers. When signing the NDAA, Obama declared, "My administration will not authorize the indefinite military detention without trial of American citizens." So in other words, while Obama concedes that the NDAA does indeed give him the power to lock up citizens without trial indefinitely, we can trust him not to do it. I don't trust him. I know few liberals who would have trusted Bush or Cheney with such powers either.

There are a good many liberals who oppose the NDAA and this Democratic president's most recent violence against the Constitution. I applaud them. I also applaud the House GOP members who oppose NDAA for acting like conservative Republicans.

House Republicans return to valuing civil liberties | Jack Hunter | Charleston City Paper

4. Full-Auto

Full-Auto Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,614
    A return after voting for it in huge numbers.

Interested in any bridges? How about water front property?

5. LordBrownTrout

LordBrownTrout Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,154
    It's a good step in the right direction.

6. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    Pres. Obama knows what's best for America and it's people.

Why can't people just allow him to rule over us unfettered by the Constitution and other such nuisances? :doubt:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  7. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,438
    better late than never....are there any Democrat governors leading their states in protest of this.....?

8. Emma

Emma Evil Liberal Leftist™

Thanks Received:
    On the street, acting all loud and tumultuous and
    Ratings:
    +757
    That's odd.

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2011/roll932.xml

(from the linked Washington Times article)

The indefinite detention provision denies suspected terrorists, including U.S. citizens seized within the nation’s borders, the right to trial and subjects them to the possibility they would be held indefinitely. It reaffirms the post-Sept. 11 authorization for the use of military force that allows indefinite detention of enemy combatants. In hopes of quelling the furor, lawmakers added language that said nothing in the law may be “construed to affect existing law or authorities relating to the detention of United States citizens, lawful resident aliens of the United States, or any other persons who are captured or arrested in the United States.”

When Obama signed the bill on Dec. 31, he issued a statement saying he had serious reservations about provisions on the detention, interrogation and prosecution of suspected terrorists. Such signing statements are common and allow presidents to raise constitutional objections to circumvent Congress' intent.

“My administration will not authorize the indefinite military detention without trial of American citizens,” Obama said in the signing statement. “Indeed, I believe that doing so would break with our most important traditions and values as a nation.”

---

So ... it was a-ok when a Republican had these powers, but not so much when a Democratic president is in office. Gotcha.

9. Emma

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +757
    By the way, I'm glad my legislature and governor finally did something right.

10. Emma

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +757
    190 - 43 (8 didn't vote)

see my link above