New Jersey School Bans Halloween For 'Diversity' Reasons

[

"Diversity" usually means that whoever is in the majority - in this case those that enjoy Halloween - needs to be quiet and pretend that they do not exist while minority groups - in this case those that cant handle other people having fun - run the show.

I'm confident that the average elementary school kid would enjoy a party and a parade at school, as opposed to schoolwork,
once a week every week.

[

"Diversity" usually means that whoever is in the majority - in this case those that enjoy Halloween - needs to be quiet and pretend that they do not exist while minority groups - in this case those that cant handle other people having fun - run the show.

I'm confident that the average elementary school kid would enjoy a party and a parade at school, as opposed to schoolwork,
once a week every week.
So you are resorting to appeal to extreme.

I do not need to explain why you made a failed and idiotic statement.

This again?

Some other clown brought this up a couple of days ago. In that one he said "liberals" did it. This time it says "left wing" --- and then as a bonus track, "liberals" at the end. Even though neither linked story mentions any such thing, or any kind of politics at all.

And btw, deciding not to hold events or as your own link says, simply not planning them in the first place, is not what "ban" means. A school still gets to decide what its extracurricular activities are -- not you. That's not a "ban".

I had dinner tonight. I decided to have fish, not spaghetti. Did I 'ban' spaghetti?

Moreover nobody said anything about it being "offensive".

/thread

Lets put 2 and 2 together dip shit...

The state is New Jersey, ya know the state where it is illegal to pump your own gas, the state where you can get a felony if you have a gun in your car...

So you going to sit back super moron and say this is not the work of the PC police liberals?

Whatever else it is, it's the work of small government at the local level.

I have to agree, some of the dumbest people on the planet are local officials.

It's dumb that they attribute it to a diversity problem. Attribute it to being non-educational and not worth
losing a school day. Move it to a Saturday or do it as an after-school event.

Actually Hallowe'en is already on a Saturday this year. No movement even necessary.

Again, Hallowe'en is a family/neighborhood-oriented event, not related to schooling anyway. If they had some kind of activity in the past, that would just be an incidental observation of the calendar. I don't remember anything at all in school related to Hallowe'en other than maybe some decorations in observation of the date.

A school has pulled Halloween activities without any real reason. It is silly.

From what I read they didn't "pull" anything; they simply declined to schedule something.
I know the hair-on-fire pseudojournalism headlines a "ban" but going by the actual story that's utter bullshit.

More liberal progressive lunacy

Liberal?

Hey. Ask yourself just who would complain about holloween? The answer is.....right wing religious freaks .

And why the fuck are they celebrating Holloween at school? They should be teaching kids . Holloween is for home .
Yes liberal ya tool. It was canceled because of "diversity"
That subject is solely owned by the left.

Kids were being "left out" . Meaning the Jesus freak kids WERENT allowed to play . Schools are totally reactionary . I'm sure righty God freaks were calling to complain.

I didn't read it that way -- it doesn't really specify but it implies that some of its student body is simply not familiar with this northern European tradition. I didn't get the sense it was connected to religion. I suspect it's simply a cultural gap.

I don't think I've ever actually seen this in real life -- people who object to Hallowe'en on religious grounds. I'm sure they exist -- that wacko church in New York that beat the kid to death last week -- but they're not exactly numerous.

So a school district has officially forbidden or prevented October 31 from occurring?
I would say the kids are there to learn. Parading through the halls in costumes while eating candy doesn't sound like an efficient use of tax dollars. Celebrate on your own dime me thinks.
Kids are there to be kids.

Don't like holidays celebrated and recognized across the entire nation - deal with it methinks. I don't care if it sounds like an efficient use of tax dollars to you - the government never did anything efficient anyway. Schools do more than simply teach and making school a fun and interesting place to actually be does FAR more for education than a curricula that is focused solely on teaching. Kids have to WANT to learn or they learn nothing.
When I'm being taxed out the ass for your brat to dress like a pirate and eat Snickers all day it becomes my problem. You may not care that your property taxes are funding this nonsense but a lot of people do. Teachers can make learning fun and interesting without having to take time out for activities that amount to a holiday during the school week. Especially, when the actual holiday falls on a day of the week when there won't be any kids at the school. They are only there for about 7 hours a day, 179 days a year. Add up all of those days that schools have their parties and celebrations for various holidays and you get a considerable chunk of time kids can be in the "classroom" learning. Being inefficient is hardly justification for wasting more money.

Liberal?

Hey. Ask yourself just who would complain about holloween? The answer is.....right wing religious freaks .

And why the fuck are they celebrating Holloween at school? They should be teaching kids . Holloween is for home .

Kids were being "left out" . Meaning the Jesus freak kids WERENT allowed to play . Schools are totally reactionary . I'm sure righty God freaks were calling to complain.

I didn't read it that way -- it doesn't really specify but it implies that some of its student body is simply not familiar with this northern European tradition. I didn't get the sense it was connected to religion. I suspect it's simply a cultural gap.

I don't think I've ever actually seen this in real life -- people who object to Hallowe'en on religious grounds. I'm sure they exist -- that wacko church in New York that beat the kid to death last week -- but they're not exactly numerous.
Maplewood is pretty solid middle and upper middle class. It's a commuter into NYC community. The train went directly into the WTC. Known for quality public schools, though NJ funding issues and Crispy Christie hurt them. I'd guess Halloween offends some very conservative Christian and Jewish types. Muslims .... not so much, but probably some.

Liberal?

Maplewood is pretty white bread. It's a commuter into NYC community. The train went directly into the WTC. Known for quality public schools, though NJ funding issues and Crispy Christie hurt them. I'd guess Halloween offends some very conservative Christian and Jewish types. Muslims .... not so much, but probably some.

I don't remember any reference to religion in the article, and Hallowe'en isn't a religious observance anyway. But it is pretty much limited culturally/traditionally to the British Isles.

Liberal?

Maplewood is pretty white bread. It's a commuter into NYC community. The train went directly into the WTC. Known for quality public schools, though NJ funding issues and Crispy Christie hurt them. I'd guess Halloween offends some very conservative Christian and Jewish types. Muslims .... not so much, but probably some.

I don't remember any reference to religion in the article, and Hallowe'en isn't a religious observance anyway. But it is pretty much limited culturally/traditionally to the British Isles.
Liberal?

N.J. school nixes Halloween celebrations, cites diversity

Yeah I'm already familiar with the stories. There have been at least two threads on it. Nothing in there contradicts my observations. Nothing in there referring to religion. Or politics either.

This sentence sums it up:
>> There had been no plans to celebrate Halloween at the school this year, the note was just sent home "to avoid confusion," she said. <<
If there's any story here it's the wacknut article the OP linked calling it a "ban". Even this one says "nixes". Both are misleading; nothing was either "nixed" or "banned".

The war on Halloween propaganda has begun.

Ah. I think you have just found the narrative.

A War on Halloween™: Because the bastards weren't happy enough just warring on Christmas!

(cue doom music)

"They'll be coming for your candy valentine hearts next, America!"
But I LIKE the war on Christmas! These Kim Davis types who think the son of God was really immactually conceived by some Jewess who was then succored by shepherds inspired by angels, and three wise men bearing gifts and a bunch of animals in a manger. I mean JFC. It's a GD secular holiday calling on us to CONSUME for the greater good of the economy. Lock Davis in a dungeon and be done with her "oh God has forgiven me" fat ass.

I WANT to make the little spawn of Davis CRY at having to leave the classroom while their secular neighbors Halloween party down!

War on Christmas is my favorite time of year . I don't hand out Xmas cards, I send Cease n Desist orders to anyone wh Manger scene in their yard!

So a school district has officially forbidden or prevented October 31 from occurring?
I would say the kids are there to learn. Parading through the halls in costumes while eating candy doesn't sound like an efficient use of tax dollars. Celebrate on your own dime me thinks.

Don't like holidays celebrated and recognized across the entire nation - deal with it methinks. I don't care if it sounds like an efficient use of tax dollars to you - the government never did anything efficient anyway. Schools do more than simply teach and making school a fun and interesting place to actually be does FAR more for education than a curricula that is focused solely on teaching. Kids have to WANT to learn or they learn nothing.
When I'm being taxed out the ass for your brat to dress like a pirate and eat Snickers all day it becomes my problem. You may not care that your property taxes are funding this nonsense but a lot of people do. Teachers can make learning fun and interesting without having to take time out for activities that amount to a holiday during the school week. Especially, when the actual holiday falls on a day of the week when there won't be any kids at the school. They are only there for about 7 hours a day, 179 days a year. Add up all of those days that schools have their parties and celebrations for various holidays and you get a considerable chunk of time kids can be in the "classroom" learning. Being inefficient is hardly justification for wasting more money.
If you don't recognize the utility and value of significance of cultural holidays and celebrations then there really is not much to bother with - you are lost on so many levels.

The fact that you need to result to calling children 'brats' just to make your 'point' simply highlights the idiocy of it.

That's fine - you can have your singular bastions of 'diverse' schools that are one in a thousand and actually have no diversity in them at all and the other 999 will continue to promote common culture that is what actually holds a nation together.

Yeah I'm already familiar with the stories. There have been at least two threads on it. Nothing in there contradicts my observations. Nothing in there referring to religion. Or politics either.

>> There had been no plans to celebrate Halloween at the school this year, the note was just sent home "to avoid confusion," she said. <<
If there's any story here it's the wacknut article the OP linked calling it a "ban". Even this one says "nixes". Both are misleading; nothing was either "nixed" or "banned".
Something that is done every year does not need to be put on the calendar to be considered 'nixed' or cancelled. This is blatantly obvious pogo even if you do not want to admit it.

The war on Halloween propaganda has begun.

Ah. I think you have just found the narrative.

A War on Halloween™: Because the bastards weren't happy enough just warring on Christmas!

(cue doom music)

"They'll be coming for your candy valentine hearts next, America!"
But I LIKE the war on Christmas! These Kim Davis types who think the son of God was really immactually conceived by some Jewess who was then succored by shepherds inspired by angels, and three wise men bearing gifts and a bunch of animals in a manger. I mean JFC. It's a GD secular holiday calling on us to CONSUME for the greater good of the economy. Lock Davis in a dungeon and be done with her "oh God has forgiven me" fat ass.

I WANT to make the little spawn of Davis CRY at having to leave the classroom while their secular neighbors Halloween party down!

War on Christmas is my favorite time of year . I don't hand out Xmas cards, I send Cease n Desist orders to anyone wh Manger scene in their yard!
The true face of those that say they support 'diversity.'

If you don't recognize the utility and value of significance of cultural holidays and celebrations then there really is not much to bother with - you are lost on so many levels.

The fact that you need to result to calling children 'brats' just to make your 'point' simply highlights the idiocy of it.

That's fine - you can have your singular bastions of 'diverse' schools that are one in a thousand and actually have no diversity in them at all and the other 999 will continue to promote common culture that is what actually holds a nation together.

Halloween is the celebration of the eve of all Saint's Day. All Saint's day is a Catholic holiday (also recognized by some other denominations).

There are 17 Catholic holidays on the Catholic calendar.

Shouldn't the schools devote a day to every one of them?

...then we'll move on to the 10 major Jewish holidays...

...etc...etc...

Halloween is the celebration of the eve of all Saint's Day. All Saint's day is a Catholic holiday (also recognized by some other denominations).

...etc...etc...
No, we should continue to acknowledge and celebrate the many holidays that have become ingrained as an integral part of American culture.

If you think that Halloween and Christmas are solely celebrated because of their religious background then you are purposefully being dense. They are no longer simply religious observances - they are American holidays that are part of our heritage and culture. I swear that so many here are being vitriolic to such simple concepts.

Something that is done every year does not need to be put on the calendar to be considered 'nixed' or cancelled. This is blatantly obvious pogo even if you do not want to admit it.

Where's the negative action? There is none; rather it's a dearth of a positive action.
No different from "usually I have bacon with breakfast but today I didn't".

...etc...etc...
No, we should continue to acknowledge and celebrate the many holidays that have become ingrained as an integral part of American culture.

If you think that Halloween and Christmas are solely celebrated because of their religious background then you are purposefully being dense. They are no longer simply religious observances - they are American holidays that are part of our heritage and culture. I swear that so many here are being vitriolic to such simple concepts.

Yeah there's a joke in there somewhere. We all know All Saint's Day was invented to compete with long-established Hallowe'en.

I take it very seriously. I plan to do some special things. But still, it's not a school-related thing. It's got nothing to do with education. Has to do in the mundane world with masking and one's community and/or social circles, and if one looks deeper, spiritual stuff. But a school not serving Hallowe'en fare really is about as significant as a gas station convenience store not serving pizza.

Forum List

Back