New England Patriot: Most Hated NFL Team?

TruthSeeker56

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2011
New Hampshire
I am a "transplanted" New England Patriots fan (I have always been a "closet" Pats fan), and when I moved to New England from the midwest 10 years ago, I embraced my "home team", but I still love my Cleveland Browns and Detroit Lions, and all other sports teams in Cleveland and Detroit.

With Cleveland and Detroit having some tough years in football (my favorite sport), it's been easy to cheer for the Patriots. There are also some "connections" with the Patriots and my Ohio and Michigan roots. Bill Belichick's first head-coaching job was with the Cleveland Browns, and Tom Brady played for the Michigan Wolverines.

I am not a Belichick fan by any stretch of the imagination, which I will explain later. I RESPECT his coaching ability, but I don't respect the man or some of his methods. Belichick is a "throwback" coach, which is refreshing in this day and age of coddling players and allowing the "inmates to run the asylum". If you don't bust your ass for Bill Belichick, you are GONE. If you don't buy into the Belichick "system", you are GONE. If you aren't ready to suck it up and play through injuries, you are GONE.

The NFL is littered with former Belichick players who were either released or traded because they didn't fit into "the system". This year Bellichick unceremoniously dropped Brandon Meriweather (a former 1st round pick and two-time Pro-Bowler) and James Sanders (a starting safety). Lawrence Maroney and Richard Seymour are but a few of the many high-round draft picks who were unceremoniously dumped on the Belichick scrap heap.

During Bill Belichick's tenure with the Cleveland Browns, he committed the biggest cardinal sin in Cleveland football history. In 1993, he unceremoniously released local hero and starting quarterback Bernie Kosar during the regular season, and replaced him with Vinnie Testaverde. Belichick's explanation? Kosar was suffering from "diminishing skills" (even though he was only 30 years old at the time). Belichick has later admitted that releasing Kosar was the biggest mistake of his coaching career.

Bernie Kosar has always been a football hero of mine. He was the "native son" who restored football prominence to Cleveland. His record of 308 consecutive passes thrown without an interception stood until 2010, when Tom Brady broke it. His record of 489 passing yards in an NFL playoff game still stands today.

Back to Belichick and the Patriots. It appears as though the New England Patriots are the most HATED NFL team in the league. Not too many people outside of the northeast like Belichick or Brady or the Patriots as a whole.

Why is there so much animosity towards the Patriots? Is it because of their 10-year reign of success? Is it the whole Massachusetts/New England "blueblood" mentality? So what is it?

Last edited:
I am a "transplanted" New England Patriots fan (I have always been a "closet" Pats fan), and when I moved to New England from the midwest 10 years ago, I embraced my "home team", but I still love my Cleveland Browns and Detroit Lions, and all other sports teams in Cleveland and Detroit.

With Cleveland and Detroit having some tough years in football (my favorite sport), it's been easy to cheer for the Patriots. There are also some "connections" with the Patriots and my Ohio and Michigan roots. Bill Belichick's first head-coaching job was with the Cleveland Browns, and Tom Brady played for the Michigan Wolverines.

I am not a Belichick fan by any stretch of the imagination, which I will explain later. I RESPECT his coaching ability, but I don't respect the man or some of his methods. Belichick is a "throwback" coach, which is refreshing in this day and age of coddling players and allowing the "inmates to run the asylum". If you don't bust your ass for Bill Belichick, you are GONE. If you don't buy into the Belichick "system", you are GONE. If you aren't ready to suck it up and play through injuries, you are GONE.

The NFL is littered with former Belichick players who were either released or traded because they didn't fit into "the system". This year Bellichick unceremoniously dropped Brandon Meriweather (a former 1st round pick and two-time Pro-Bowler) and James Sanders (a starting safety). Lawrence Maroney and Richard Seymour are but a few of the many high-round draft picks who were unceremoniously dumped on the Belichick scrap heap.

During Bill Belichick's tenure with the Cleveland Browns, he committed the biggest cardinal sin in Cleveland football history. In 1993, he unceremoniously released local hero and starting quarterback Bernie Kosar during the regular season, and replaced him with Vinnie Testaverde. Belichick's explanation? Kosar was suffering from "diminishing skills" (even though he was only 30 years old at the time). Belichick has later admitted that releasing Kosar was the biggest mistake of his coaching career.

Bernie Kosar has always been a football hero of mine. He was the "native son" who restored football prominence to Cleveland. His record of 308 consecutive passes thrown without an interception stood until 2010, when Tom Brady broke it. His record of 489 passing yards in an NFL playoff game still stands today.

Back to Belichick and the Patriots. It appears as though the New England Patriots are the most HATED NFL team in the league. Not too many people outside of the northeast like Belichick or Brady or the Patriots as a whole.

Why is there so much animosity towards the Patriots? Is it because of their 10-year reign of success? Is it the whole Massachusetts/New England "blueblood" mentality? So what is it?

Pure unadulterated "envy"? The Patriots have an owner who's built a first class organization...a coach who works his ass off year in and year out and demands the same of his players...and a QB who is just as obsessive as his coach.

Easily, the Cowboys are the most hated team.

I have a lot of respect for the Patriots system which relies on winning through the draft and by acquiring other teams headaches and working them into the system. Reminds me of the old Oakland Raiders

New England Patriot: Most Hated NFL Team?

Not even...That would be the Dallas Cowgirls.

People are just damned sick and tired of overbearing Bostonians....I, for one, was happy to see them get the Bambino monkey off Sawx's back, and their loutish goombah fans have made me regret it.

Unfortunately, Patriots fans aren't any less boorish.

You know my favorite saying was and still is, my favortie teams are , the Arizona Cardinals ( I know insert laughter here) and anyone who plays the Cowboys or Steelers.

I absolutely detest the Patsies.

They are cheaters, always have been, If there was any fairness in sports these days the Patsies would be stripped of ALL of their SB wins and suspended.

I have been a Dolphin Fan since I moved to Florida in 1968. I have seen the Patriots play many many times. They cheat. If they don't cheat then the refs cheat for them.

One example is the "snow plow" incident. The Dolphins were playing in the Patriots stadium. Game is tied in OT. The Dolphins drive the ball down field and when it's 4th down they elect to kick a field goal to win it. It's snowing and there is snow on the ground. The Dolphin's kicker slips in the snow and the ball misses the uprights. The Patsies get the ball, move it donw the field and on 3rd down they elect to kick the ball. At trhis point the Patsies bring on a snowplow to clear a spot for their kicker. Their kicker kicks it through the uprights without incident and the refs allow it. New England Cheaters win.

Then there is "The Tuck Rule". In the AFL Title game, the Raiders and the Patriots are fighting for the right to go to the Superbowl. Drew Bledsoe drops back to pass pumps once and when he draws back his arm, a Raider strips him of the ball. The Raiders recover the ball and basically just have to sit on it to win. No, the refs pull out the Tuck Rule and claim that Bledsoe was attempting to tuck the ball in and there for it wasn't a fumble but an incomplete pass. An incomplete pass but the QB's are was moving backward not forward. he Tuck Rule as everyone outside of Boston knows is applied to RECIEVERS not QBs. The Patsies went on to win the first of their SBs. If the refs hadn't cheated and given them the win, it's very likely they woudn't have won any of their other SBs. All of ther SB wins should be stripped from them.

Since then they have been caught filming other teams' practices and continued to have the refs change blatant calls for them.

One of my favorite SBs was when the Giants demolished those cheaters in the SB to prevent them from having a perfect season.

Hate them hate them hate them.

Pretty much all of he above, an owner, coach, and front office perceived to be arrogant.

Surely the Cowfags are more hated than the Patriots.

Agreed.

Sowboy fans are the biggest whiners, and Dallas is a hellhole.

They are a arrogant bunch of cheaters. Busted for filming a rival team practice. BTW, it's OK to jump back on the Lion's bandwagon. There hot!

Don't have to jump back on the Lions bandwagon. I never jumped off. Same with the Browns. I remember the "good ol' days". Barry Sanders. Herman Moore. Billy Sims. Bernie Kosar. Ozzie Newsome. Marty Schottenheimer. The list goes on and on.

As for the Patriots, I have no fondness at all for ANY "Masshole" (the nickname that "the rest of us" use to identify residents of Massachusetts).

What I find hilarious is the "accent" that some of the northeasterners have...........they don't have the letter "r" in their alphabet. "R" is pronounced "ah". "Pahk my cah and have some lobstah and chowdah". A transplanted midwesterner like myself needs a translator sometimes when I'm trying to have a conversation with some of these "chowdah-heads"!

Last edited:
The hatred people have for the Pats is rooted in envy....sure they'll try to play the 'cheaters' card, but it's a tired argument that never had much grounding to begin with.

Nobody cared when they were the "Patsies".

Easily, the Cowboys are the most hated team.

I have a lot of respect for the Patriots system which relies on winning through the draft and by acquiring other teams headaches and working them into the system. Reminds me of the old Oakland Raiders
I thought it was the Redskins.

Jealousy ... envy.

Oh it's okay. I forgive the hate from all of you. But what if Belechick was wearing a ripped hoddie with your team's logo and Brady was wearing your teams colors? Would you think differently?

I'm a life long Pittsburgh Steelers fan. I live within an hour's drive of Heinz Field.

Sure, I hate the Patriots. But it's not due to envy or jealousy. Why should I envy them? The Steelers have more Super Bowl victories than anyone else in the league. I hate them because they're cheaters and boorishly cocky.

I'll get to see Polamalu and Woodley take Brady's head off this Sunday.

I'm a life long Pittsburgh Steelers fan. I live within an hour's drive of Heinz Field.

Sure, I hate the Patriots. But it's not due to envy or jealousy. Why should I envy them? The Steelers have more Super Bowl victories than anyone else in the league. I hate them because they're cheaters and boorishly cocky.

I'll get to see Polamalu and Woodley take Brady's head off this Sunday.

The Stealers aren't cheaters? .... :lol:

The 70's Super Bowl Teams were a bunch of roiders and the SB win against the Seahags was the most biased and despicable display of officiating in NFL History.....

Forum List

Back