Never forget Sacajawea.

Sep 12, 2008
13 yeas old and pregnant when her husband was hired by the Lewis and Clark expedition at FT Mandan in 1804 to help guide, negotiate and interpet on the trip to what is now Astoria OR. She proved an invaluable help on the trip, among other things helping to rescue Clark's notes when they were lost in the Missouri river. She was notable for her good nature and her energy.

She had the baby, Jean Louis Baptist Charbenau during the trip. On the return trip she stayed with her husband and son at Ft Mandan. She died soon after due to a pandemic there.

sacajawea%20guide.jpg

sacajawea.jpg

Her son is an equally interesting figure. He is buried near Jordon Craters in Southeastern Oregon.

Jean Baptiste Charbonneau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On June 21, 1823, at age eighteen, Charbonneau met Duke Friedrich Paul Wilhelm of Württemberg, the nephew of King Freidrich I Wilhelm Karl of Württemberg.[7] Charbonneau was working at a Kaw Indian trading post on the Kansas River near present-day Kansas City, Kansas. Wilhelm was traveling in America on a natural history expedition to the northern plains under the guidance of Toussaint Charbonneau. On October 9, 1823, he invited the younger Charbonneau to return to Europe with him, which was agreed upon. The two men set sail on the Smyrna from St. Louis in December 1823. Jean Baptiste lived there for nearly six years and learned German and Spanish. He already spoke French, the dominant language of St. Louis, which enabled conversation with the Duke.[8] According to Wilhelm, Charbonneau was "…a companion on all my travels over Europe and northern Africa until 1829."[9]

In November 1829, Charbonneau returned to St. Louis, where he was hired by Joseph Robidoux as a skin trapper for the American Fur Company in Idaho and Utah.[10][11] He attended the 1832 Pierre's Hole rendezvous while working for the Rocky Mountain Fur Company, and fought in the bloodiest non-military battle preceding the Plains Indian wars that began in 1854.[12] From 1833-1849 he worked in the fur trade in the Rocky Mountain Trapping System[13] with other mountain men such as Jim Bridger, James Beckwourth and Joe Meek.[14]

Americans need to accept the fact that this nation owes a debt to the AmerIndians.

They helped the early settlers to survive in an alien land...something we celebrate at Thanksgiving

Some of them fought with us in every war we've ever had, too.

And, much like many of we the American people now, they were betrayed by those who they helped.

Americans need to accept the fact that this nation owes a debt to the AmerIndians.

They helped the early settlers to survive in an alien land...something we celebrate at Thanksgiving

Some of them fought with us in every war we've ever had, too.

And, much like many of we the American people now, they were betrayed by those who they helped.

What makes you assume we don't "accept the fact"? I learned in my elementary education that indians helped.

A few people I know loved this book.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sacajawea-Lewis-Clark-Expedition-Waldo/dp/0380842939/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8]Amazon.com: Sacajawea (Lewis & Clark Expedition) (0071001008500): Anna L. Waldo:…[/ame]

Such a trashy cover. Poor girl was 15 and a mom, not some weird extra terrestrial hottie from a sci fi novel.

But the book sounds pretty good.

She was far more of an asset than her bum of a husband

Forum List

Back