Netherlands

Blashyrkh

Apr 29, 2005
Hello, I'm from the Netherlands and I'm curious what people here think about the Dutch, especially about their liberal stance on cases like drugs and prostitution.

Blashyrkh said:
Hello, I'm from the Netherlands and I'm curious what people here think about the Dutch, especially about their liberal stance on cases like drugs and prostitution.
I have read nothing indicating these liberal attitudes have harmed Dutch society in any way.

Do you feel the results have been entirely benign, or at least done no harm?

There is no political possibility of the US adopting Dutch policy on these issues in the foreseeable future.

USViking said:
I have read nothing indicating these liberal attitudes have harmed Dutch society in any way.

Do you feel the results have been entirely benign, or at least done no harm?

There is no political possibility of the US adopting Dutch policy on these issues in the foreseeable future.

The results of the Dutch policy are very positive.

I understand there's the US will not go the same way we did, and I think something similar can only work in a smaller society. American society in my opinion is just too large for such a thing to happen.

Said1 said:
Because of smaller population densities?

No, higher! the Netherlands are one of the world's most densily populated area's!
And because of the homogenity of the people.

Blashyrkh said:
The results of the Dutch policy are very positive.

I understand there's the US will not go the same way we did, and I think something similar can only work in a smaller society. American society in my opinion is just too large for such a thing to happen.
I am not sure the illegality of prostitution has done much if any harm in the US.

US Drug policy is, however, a hundred billion dollar a year total fiasco, just from the monetary standpoint, and we would do well to assume a more rational approach, as the Netherlands has.

Blashyrkh said:
No, higher! the Netherlands are one of the world's most densily populated area's!

I was referring to Dutch policy with respect to drugs and prostitution. You said they wouldn't work in the US because of size, I assumed you meant population.

I meant size of both population and area.
I mean California is probably very different from Maine, in population size, area, people and climate. They are also different in political preference probably (A. Schwarzenegger). In the Netherlands it's more compact: Zeeland (in the South-West) is nothing different from Groningen (North-East) in all those matters.

Blashyrkh said:
I meant size of both population and area.
I mean California is probably very different from Maine, in population size, area, people and climate. They are also different in political preference probably (A. Schwarzenegger). In the Netherlands it's more compact: Zeeland (in the South-West) is nothing different from Groningen (North-East) in all those matters.

So it's the overall difference in demographics per state, area etc that would make it impossible?

Blashyrkh said:

Hello, I'm from southeast Alabama and we frankly don't give a rat's ass what you guys do. It's your country. Just don't try that shit here.

Blashyrkh said:

The US is not densely populated nor homogeneous.

Merlin1047 said:
Hello, I'm from southeast Alabama and we frankly don't give a rat's ass what you guys do. It's your country. Just don't try that shit here.

We feel exactly the same about you.

Blashyrkh said:

If the Dutch want to be the premier International hooker scene in the world, well I suppose it's just like trading spices, but less tastefull. Let's face it, legalizing prostitution has made your country nothing more than circus, to be gawked at by tourists, shunned by locals, and frequented by perverts.

And just like the needle exchange program in downtown Seattle, the 'drug tolerant' districts of Amsterdam are chock full of addicts of all varieties of drugs, which again, your people shun and ignore, and instead choose to divert their habits to the state feeding trough.

And because of your loose restrictions on narcotics, your country serves as an international trading hub into the Western world

major European producer of ecstasy, illicit amphetamines, and other synthetic drugs; important gateway for cocaine, heroin, and hashish entering Europe; major source of US-bound ecstasy; large financial sector vulnerable to money laundering

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/nl.html

Naturally your country profits in some way through both trades, in a way formerly reminiscent of slavery and colonization. You speak of America with such disdain, perhaps you should reflect on your own nation first before digging yourself further into your grave.

There's a reason Mike Myers' scathing portrayal of the dutch as skin snacking freaks goes unchallenged.

goldmember.jpg

Comrade said:
If the Dutch want to be the premier International hooker scene in the world, well I suppose it's just like trading spices, but less tastefull. Let's face it, legalizing prostitution has made your country nothing more than circus, to be gawked at by tourists, shunned by locals, and frequented by perverts.

And just like the needle exchange program in downtown Seattle, the 'drug tolerant' districts of Amsterdam are chock full of addicts of all varieties of drugs, which again, your people shun and ignore, and instead choose to divert their habits to the state feeding trough.

And because of your loose restrictions on narcotics, your country serves as an international trading hub into the Western world

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/nl.html

Naturally your country profits in some way through both trades, in a way formerly reminiscent of slavery and colonization. You speak of America with such disdain, perhaps you should reflect on your own nation first before digging yourself further into your grave.

Well, I happen to live in Amsterdam, the place where there's no junkies in the streets, where prostitution has become much safer for the prostitutes (instead of the rest of the world. And whether your approve it or don't: it's the oldest job in the world and it won't dissapear, so why not make it safer for everybody). And about drugs: YOU have a major drugsproblem, while our people use way less drugs than the rest of Europe and the United States. Our drugspolicy is a major succes, without junkies dying in the streets.

And about the history of slavery: the Netherlands abolished it earlier than the US did, without fighting a civil war.

Blashyrkh said:
Well, I happen to live in Amsterdam, the place where there's no junkies in the streets, where prostitution has become much safer for the prostitutes (instead of the rest of the world. And whether your approve it or don't: it's the oldest job in the world and it won't dissapear, so why not make it safer for everybody). And about drugs: YOU have a major drugsproblem, while our people use way less drugs than the rest of Europe and the United States. Our drugspolicy is a major succes, without junkies dying in the streets.

And about the history of slavery: the Netherlands abolished it earlier than the US did, without fighting a civil war.
Good thing the US saved you isn't it?

Forum List

Back