Net Talk - Phone

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Zoom-boing, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,130
    Does anyone use Net Talk? We are in the process of upgrading some things, one being internet service. We have Verizon DSL but with 4 computers, an iPhone and a Kindle Fire ... merrrr, it is slow when more than one or two people are doing things. Was contemplating bundling internet and phone (thinking of switching to Comcast internet ... any opinions/info on that?) and in my quest to keep the monthly bill down I came across Net Talk. $65 for the duo wireless device, which includes one year phone subscription, then just $30/year for phone subscription after that. It works through your internet rather than the phone lines.

Thoughts?

2. Dreamy

Dreamy Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430
    NetTalk makes it easy to dump your landline but keep your phone number | How To - CNET

netTalk said its Duo WiFi device is off and running to record sales - FierceEnterpriseCommunications

I switched from Verizon DSL(too slow on old copper wires) to Comcast Internet because I had the cable TV already and bundled. FIOS is not an option in my town. I need speed because I run so much off my wi-fi including a Sonos internet music system and streaming. Comcast has been very good.

I am not a huge fan of VoIP service but that is based on using it in Aruba several years ago and the talk was spotty at times. It may have improved since then.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,497
    Comcast is expensive and people like to trash them but I've had very few complaints in the past when I used them. The regular speed internet is fast enough for the general user and they seem to have the least amount of down time. The one thing you have to watch for is billing, if you get a deal it might not show up because someone in setup forgot to use the correct activation code. In all cases keep your contract handy and deal with the local outlet, not the 1-800 know-nothings.
    As for internet phone I use Skype, still the best out there for the price that I know of though most of the big providers run their phone setup through the internet now where available.

4. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,417
    I recently dumped Comcast. We're in a college town and when classes are in session, sure enough- same time every evening things slow to a crawl.

So I switched to a company that sends everything over a phone line. It's a dedicated service.

5. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,497
    You're using a trunk line?

6. Dreamy

Dreamy Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430
    I believe he means a dedicated DSL line aka a dry loop, meaning a dedicated pair of copper wires from the telco office to the premise. No dialtone transmitted over the copper.

7. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,497
    I know, just playing, he probably got it.

8. Dreamy

Dreamy Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430
    :d

9. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,417
    I'm not sure what it is LOL. But it works.

10. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,130
    Well we did a bit more research on the Net Talk and there are problems with it. Seems if you have several users on the net while also on the phone the phone suffers, esp. if some teenager is using the youtube.

We currently have dsl (the bargain basement one) and the solution would be to get some kind of double play bundle with the next better dsl/phone. They just installed FIOS in our neighborhood and according to one Verizon operator that means we can't upgrade our dsl. Huh? You mean if the modem broke we'd be forced to either get Fios or go elsewhere? I find that hard to swallow. Will be calling them for clarification on that.

We don't use the phone much which is why I was hoping the Net Talk would be a good option but the parental units have a hard enough time hearing me on a good connection ... I only have to repeat myself three times with that. Can't imagine the conversation with a lousy connection. lol

My gripe is that we could bundle a tv/internet/phone w/Comcast for about the same amount that we're paying now for no hd service and slower internet ... but that price jumps when the contract (one year I think) is up. But there really aren't many alernatives to that, are there? If they come up with an a la carte tv offer I'd be on that like white on rice. The bundled tv channels (the vast majority of which we don't watch) is the money sucker. I did see this:

Intel Is Reportedly Going To Destroy The Cable Model By Offering People The Ability To Subscribe To Individual Channels - Business Insider

:eusa_pray: :eusa_pray: :eusa_pray:

Thx for the input guys. :)