Neighbors' son involved in attack in Iraq...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fuzzykitten99, Mar 30, 2006.

1. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    My neighbors' son, Ryan Hallberg, has been stationed over in Iraq. 2 days ago, their hummer was hit by a roadside bomb, and flipped, and as the gunner, Ryan was hit the hardest. He is alive, but he may lose his left leg. How far up, I am not sure, as I didn't get the details. I have known Ryan and his family for 20 years, as they moved in across from my house (formerly my grandparents') on my 5th birthday, and their oldest daughter graduated the year before me in HS.

My uncle Bob works with Ryan's dad and he called and let us know that Tom & Conni (Ryan's mom & dad) have taken a red-eye flight to Germany, where Ryan has just come out of a 7 hour surgery to repair the several breaks in his leg, in order to try to save it. Tim and I have been asked to care for their cat and watch the house until they get home, which may not be for a while. Ryan is likely to be flown to Virginia for the rest of his recovery.

Just thought I would let everyone here know, as many here know someone over there. Ryan is ok, it is just his leg that may not be, but at least he is still alive.

2. Semper Fi

Semper Fi VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Wow, that's something nobody ever wants to hear. Makes me thankful my dad made it through there safely, as well as the thousands of others. When you see him again, tell him that his sacrifices have not gone unnoticed.

3. fuzzykitten99

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    No, it was kind of a shock. I wondered where Tom & conni had gone in a hurry, but they often are gone for 1-2 days on or near weekends, for car shows (they own 2 show cars) and getting their summer toys from storage when the weather starts getting nice like this, so it wasn't anything I was really concerned about. Then my uncle Bob calls...

Ryan is only 22, so we are glad it is just his leg and not worse.

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    My prayers are with Ryan specifically today, all of those serving everyday! I hope things go better than they look right now.

5. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    I'm glad that he will be all right, though it sucks that he might lose a leg. :(

6. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    I could only find one Ryan Hallberg - he's a SSG; at age 22 that's very impressive.

My prayers are with him and his family. Very difficult times ahead.

7. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    SSG at 22? Wow. Good thing for the terrorists that they didn't blow his leg completely off, as he'd probably have used it to beat them to death.

But seriously, though, I feel for the guy, and he's in my prayers.

8. fuzzykitten99

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I believe he is about 22yo, I am not 100% sure of his exact age but I know he is younger than I am (i'm 25), but not by much, because he graduated a few years after me.

He enlisted right out (during actually) of high school, and was stationed in Indiana for about a year. He moved up the ranks pretty fast, from what I would hear from his dad. I don't see much of his parents in the winter (other than in passing) just because we are both usually busy. I see them more in summer because we are all usually putzing in the yard or garages.

9. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Depending on the MOS it's not unheard of. I joined at 19, made E5 at 22? Had I any college credit coulda done it quicker.

ONE guy I met made E7 in 8 years.

that is SMOKING FAST. 10 years to E7 is 'quick'.

10. fuzzykitten99

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    i know Ryan got college credit in HS thru the Anoka High School PSEO program, so he was a year ahead of most of the other recruits. My sister has done the same thing.