Need a little opinion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fuzzykitten99, Jan 16, 2005.

?

Which SUV?

1. Avalanche

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. Tahoe

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. Durango

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Grand Cherokee

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    My hubby and I are planning on another baby here within 18 months, and we are needing to give up my 99 Monte Carlo Z34 (BIG WAHHHHH!!!) for the SUV...i don't like driving minivans, i test drove them before, and don't like them-or the way they look. Plus we are inheriting a Bayliner in 2 years, so we need something to tow it with.

We have narrowed it to 4 choices, and I would like opinions from people who have owned any of these. I don't trust 2nd-hand info (ops from those who have heard from owners, but never actually owned the vehicle itself) - is never reliable.

The vehicles we are deciding on are:

Chevy Avalanche (my 1st pick)
    Chevy Tahoe
    Dodge Durango (my 2nd pick)
    Jeep Grand Cherokee

2. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Don't get the Dodge unless you really enjoy replacing Transmissions and like to visit often to the dealership for all the recalls.

The most current recall is the Upper Ball joints, wheels are falling off of the vehicles while people are driving with no warning. Not just the wheels but the entire assembly fails and the whole dang thing just gives up the ghost...

3. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I had a GMC Denali (Tahoe on steroids) and I loved it - until a lady going southbound on I-15 decided to do a u-turn so she could get back to the crossover and start going northbound.... to miss her, I swerved off the road and into the center median where I hit a drainage ditch that pushed the front axle back about 3 feet.....

It was great truck, but once they have been wrecked they are never the same so as soon as I could, I got rid of it....

So I voted Tahoe.....

4. Jimmyeatworld

Jimmyeatworld Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Stay away from Grand Cherokees. They are nice and have all the bells and whistles and such, but if anything goes out on them (like a fuel pump or alternator) it costs an arm and a leg to replace. Durangos have been covered and I've seen where the Avalanche has had it's problems too. From what I know, Tahoe is probably your best bet.

5. Trinity

Trinity VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +79
    I drive a 92 Chevy Blazer S-10 Tahoe Package and it has been great! I love this SUV it has 193,000 miles on it, no major work has been needed on this, just your normal maintenance. My husband and I are getting ready to buy 2 more vehicles and he thinks he is selling the 2 we currently have. I have no intention of selling my Blazer. He can sell his car if he wants. I want to see if I can get my Blazer to 300,000 miles. Which should happen in about 6 more years with the miles we put on these vehicles, living way out in the country.

6. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    my hubby wants the tahoe. i guess if i can find one in red or silver, i would go for it.

we know a few people who have cherokees, and they have never had any major issues. my hubby has always liked them.

we refuse to get anything less than a v8

7. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    How about a nice 2003 Mercedes ML 320? Make ya good deal, but ya gotta come get it. It's Silver and an all wheel drive SUV!:)

8. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Do you like yours? I have the ML500 and I HATE IT. I leased it (the business did) but I am turning it in early and paying the penalties for doing so I dislike it sooooo much.

9. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616

:eek:

Wash your mouth! You hate your Mercedes?!

That's supposed to be impossible!

10. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Honestly, the only thing I like about it is the safety factor it provides over any other SUV.